What's new

AC87U & ExpressVPN Connection Lost

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

terminator8

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I flashed ExpressVPN firmware on AC87U, now I am unable to access the dashboard page. I tried all the troubleshooting steps told by the ExpressVPN agents, but none worked. I tried with ethernet/Wifi used different browsers and devices but no luck.

Now that I have noticed that after restarting the router, and enabling/disabling the ethernet from networks somehow lets me open the dashboard page, but then after a few seconds it says connection is lost. What could be the possible reasons for this?
Is it the router's fault or the firmware? I have no clue.

A couple of weeks ago I did flash the firmware of ExpressVPN, and it was working fine. But then I flashed the original firmware from ASUS (to check something), and now this is happening what I mentioned above. I tried flashing the firmware from ASUS router config settings and also by rescue mode, none seems to work.
Help me please.

Attachments

• chrome_WNykTdfSWF.png
    chrome_WNykTdfSWF.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 20
What could be the possible reasons for this?

This is perhaps routing issue. You can't get to the routers GUI when your traffic is redirected through VPN. ExpressVPN applet specific, you have to look at the settings with VPN disabled first. This same thing is happening to any VPN when all the traffic is redirected by default.

Perform a full reset when going from one (fork) of firmware to another.

I already did the hard reset (WPS method) before flashing

This is perhaps routing issue. You can't get to the routers GUI when your traffic is redirected through VPN. ExpressVPN applet specific, you have to look at the settings with VPN disabled first. This same thing is happening to any VPN when all the traffic is redirected by default.
But how come the traffic is being redirected? I performed a hard reset and then flashed the original firmware and then tried to flash the ExpressVPN.

If there's something I am missing, kindly share in detail, please. And how can I look at the settings if I cannot even access the router page on flashed Expressvpn firmware?

Or are you talking about the original firmware settings tweaking before flashing the expressvpn firmware?

If there's something I am missing, kindly share in detail, please.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the custom ExpressVPN firmware for this router. It must be something old because this router is End-Of-Life for quite some time. For further assistance you perhaps have to contact ExpressVPN support again. This router is also old hardware and will have low performance on OpenVPN.

I already did the hard reset (WPS method) before flashing

That is incorrect. While it may sometimes help, you need to flash the firmware you want to use first.

Then do a full reset.

Only then will the installed firmware be able to properly see/use the defaults it is expecting.

That is incorrect. While it may sometimes help, you need to flash the firmware you want to use first.

Then do a full reset.

Only then will the installed firmware be able to properly see/use the defaults it is expecting.
I did that too. No luck

The RT-AC87U was a one-off project for Asus/Quantenna. To Asus' credit, they supported this Frankenstein build longer than any other manufacturer.

Today, I would be looking at a new router.

I would also not be flashing any firmware on it from a paid-for 'VPN' provider either.

The RT-AC87U was a one-off project for Asus/Quantenna. To Asus' credit, they supported this Frankenstein build longer than any other manufacturer.

Today, I would be looking at a new router.

I would also not be flashing any firmware on it from a paid-for 'VPN' provider either.
From the following list, which one should I get?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-01-15-20-44-36-955_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-15-20-44-36-955_com.android.chrome.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 18
None of those. They are obsolete.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!