What's new

Extending 1.5 GB internet from ASUS AX86U to ASUS GT-AX6000 via link aggregation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marcus Yansen

Occasional Visitor
As the title says, I want to extend my 1.5 GB Fiber wiress internet from Asus AX-86U (already purchased) to ASUS GT-AX6000 (thinking of purchasing).

Challenge: Asus AX-86U only has as a single multigig/2.5 GB port which will be occupied by the fiber optic internet line coming into my house - this then leaves a single1 GB Ports, and if I use only one of these ports and run them to the GT-AX6000 I will only be extending 1 GB wireless internet to the rest of my house. I am therefore wondering if it's possible to extend two LANs from the ethernet of ASUS-AX86U to the 2 1 GB lan ports of ASUS GT-AX6000 so that I can extend the 1.5 GB ethernet to the AX6000....preference is that the fiber optic lines goes into my AX-86U router, for various reasons. I read some posts here but I was not sure if it applied to my case, but this poster said it failed for them? https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax86u-lan-link-aggregation-doesnt-seem-to-be-working.77664/

Below is a diagram of what I want to do, and if it is not possible, are there other solutions? Purchasing a different router than GT-AX6000 or buying a switch or something of that sort? Thank you

brave_SINvnLj8k7.png

Last edited:
One way you could do it is to do link aggregation from the ONT to the router with two Ethernet cables then the 2.5 GB port would be free for LAN use. Of course if the ONT only has one Ethernet port you are sunk.

Thanks. This leads me to think of two ways.

1) Your solution above @bbunge - in fact the ISP (Bell) modem/router combination does have multiple ethernet ports, so what you have suggested definitely be achievable, then.

2) As an alternative, because I have 'ditched' the modem/router completely, as it seems you cannot 'completely' turn off wifi on them (I have Bell Homehub 3000 but I believe should be the same with homehub 4000). What I have done is hooked up the fiber line coming into my house into a media converter and from Media converter to my ax86u router - I am also thinking that I can instead add a switch and run two ethernet cable from switch into two ethernet ports in the ax86u, so it goes like this:

1.5 GB Fiber Optic line ==> Fiber Gigabit Media converter ==> Switch ==> 2 * 1GB LAN from Switch ==> 2 * 1GB LAN port of ASUS AX-86U ==> ....

Would this also work as an alterative? If so, are there any recommend any reliable switches for this purpose alone? Thank you.

Last edited:
Well, I've got a sabrent 5ge adapter I use with my Linux box that doesn't need any modules to load to work when I boot into a livecd session. If you get an adapter it should just show up as an additional port on the router and then you setup as your wan port. In Asus terminology use it as a 4g dongle.

Well, I've got a sabrent 5ge adapter I use with my Linux box that doesn't need any modules to load to work when I boot into a livecd session. If you get an adapter it should just show up as an additional port on the router and then you setup as your wan port. In Asus terminology use it as a 4g dongle.

Cool, I get it, thank you!

I think this was also discussed here as well: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/usb-to-2-5gbe-adapter-on-ax88u.67402/

Edit: based on the thread i linked above, it seems that this is a hit and miss solution at best. But I may try it, still. Thanks everyone. At least now I know my options ;)

Last edited:
Another option is just use an AP on the far end since you have Ethernet already. An nwa210ax goes for about $150 plus the adapter on the router and maybe a 2.5ge switch for $100 keeps it under $300.

Another option is just use an AP on the far end since you have Ethernet already. An nwa210ax goes for about $150 plus the adapter on the router and maybe a 2.5ge switch for $100 keeps it under $300.

By "adaptor on the router" part do you mean the usb adaptor to plug into the usb slot of the AX-86U? Because based on reading up it seems that these adaptors often fall back in terms of speed even if they are recognized by the router as 2.5 GB ports - but I may still try it.

I kind of regret getting the AX-86U now, and I kind of don't regret getting at all, not only for its great performance, but I do not know what else I would've done as the alternatives are just too expensive, say the AXE16000 , or even the GT-AX6000 (700 CAD) either of which would have helped me avoid this problem as they had multiple ports..I got the AX-86U for $300 CAD on sale.

Pay now or pay later is the issue with consumer networking. Everyone gets caught up in the WiFi specs and then after buying something realize the wired options are just as important. With the landscape always changing a modular router would make more sense where you can swap out things as they change. You would be in a totally different budget bracket though stepping up to this sort of option. DIY bridges the gap without the high price of enterprise level gear. For performance it might be on the same level as 700CAD but the freedom to put in NICs as needed at a lower price point. I built my system with a quad port 5ge card and allocate ports as needed to either wan or lan. I used to have an internal AC card that functioned as an AP but got sick of waiting for an ax version and went with an external AP that hits 1.5ge and has a 2.5ge port on it.

One way you could do it is to do link aggregation from the ONT to the router with two Ethernet cables then the 2.5 GB port would be free for LAN use. Of course if the ONT only has one Ethernet port you are sunk.

hi @bbunge , had a question - does my isp modem/router have to support link aggregation for this to work? Or can i just enable it on the rotuer side by enabling the options for it in the router and then running two ethernet cables from the isp cable/modem lan components into the lan componenets of my router so that "WAN" aggreagtion, is it called? would now be enabled.

so to be clear, fiber optic line goes into isp modem/router combo, and then two ethernets from the ethernenet lans of modem router combo into the asus axu68 router.

Thanks

Perhaps I'm missing something here but why wouldn't you just swap the positions of the routers as the AX6000 has two 2.5 Gbe ports?

Thank you. I agree @doczenith1,it's just that the fiber comes in my house in a very obscure place and while I can put the ax6000 there instead of ax86u - i'd rather the ax6000 serve my wifi needs as it will be in a far better positions and instead i'd rather put the ax868 where the fiber line comes in which is a very obscure place. But alas, all this gives me a lot to think about..ex, extend fiber line, instead, or just wait when prices are better to get another router, and maybe sell the ax86u with a bit of loss. but also i haven't purchased the asus gt-ax 6000 yet.

1.5 GB Fiber wiress internet

You won't get 1.5Gbps wireless Internet anyway. Eventually to few devices, if 160MHz wide channel works in your area. Your plans will not improve the user experience. What you can't do with 1Gbps ISP line? You've got just more trouble and plan extra expenses after ISP speed upgrade on promotional price. This is classic.

Hi @Tech Junky , this was the solution that was super easy and I did not think of it, and you saved me from a lot of unnecessary headaches and costs as well. I already had everything ready. So thank you. And @Tech9 I agree about the 1.5 gb internet, albeit, it gives me more bandwidth overall. The ISP actually changed me to this 1.5 GB plan because the removed the 1 GB plan and then the two were the same price...but I agree - I am really really hoping that something like the AXE16000 becomes more affordable next year so I can run a multigig cable to my computer as the AX-86U has only one port. It also seems that link agg is only for windows severs, albeit I have two Intel NICs and maybe teaming by two Intel NICs might work. Thanks again and cheers to everyone.