What's new

External Antenna for RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, has anyone tried using three ASUS WL-ANT-191 with the RT-N66U? I only need a small increase in range to be able to cover all my house, but would rather not use a range extender and cannot use the directional antennas. Thanks in advance.

The ASUS WL-ANT-191 is only a single band, 2.4GHz. antenna. I wouldn't use this on a dual-band router.

I've looked at the WL-ANT157 antenna before but it is a directional style antenna. This is more for special applications. Most users need omni directional antenna's that give fuller coverage. The RT-N66U come from the factory with omni style antenna's.

Thanks! This is something we need to factor into any decision when looking into getting an antenna.
Asus notes this is directional, but it bears noting this so that anyone considering this antenna knows what they are getting.
as someone pointed out, directional anteannae will help in some situations and hurt in others, so it all depends on the user's wifi environment (router and client relative placement) and needs.

robgold or anyone else w/ experience using WL-ANT-157 antennas w/ the 66u; My home has a networking closet near the front of the house on the second floor. The 66u is in this networking closet. I need the 5GHz and 2.4GHz signals to reach the back yard on the other end of the house (which of course is on the first floor). If I replace my 66u's three antennas each with a WL-ANT-157, will I get that reach I need? Will a laptop (using a 5GHz card) in the same room, but on the opposite side from the 66u still get signal from the 66u with WL-ANT-157s?

Well, you didn't tell us how much further you need coverage for starters. Secondly you're going to spend $75 on three antennas ?

From the network closet in the front to the back yard, the signal has to go around 100ft. through a couple of walls and floor of the second floor / ceiling of the first floor.

It's my money. I can spend it how I want to. I get a discount on them anyway.

So get defensive because I commented about the money spent on antennas ? Nice.

My point is that there are cheaper ways to extend coverage and if it's only 100ft your router should cover that to begin with. You may need to adjust some settings to see what you come up with.

Those antennas likely won't give you much extra coverage.

Last edited:
So get defensive because I commented about the money spent on antennas ? Nice.

My point is that there are cheaper ways to extend coverage and if it's only 100ft your router should cover that to begin with. You may need to adjust some settings to see what you come up with.

Those antennas likely won't give you much extra coverage.

Sorry if I sounded "defensive". One of my biggest peeves is when I ask a question about hardware and someone responds talking to me about money.

Thanks though, I know you were just trying to be helpful.

I guess I'll try it first w/ the stock antennas or maybe just wait the week or two until the AC66U is available.

Regarding the coverage those antennas provide, robgold would beg to differ. My setup is similar to his.

Sorry to bring the topic back, but I cannot find this information anywhere.

My friend gave me this router, but he *lost* the original antennas.

I'm trying to find them to buy, but I'm having a hard time to find simple dual-band antennas (like the originals) to this router.

Can anyone find where I can buy them? Or if any user want to sell the unused antennas, please tell me.

Thanks

Sorry to bring the topic back, but I cannot find this information anywhere.

My friend gave me this router, but he *lost* the original antennas.

I'm trying to find them to buy, but I'm having a hard time to find simple dual-band antennas (like the originals) to this router.

Can anyone find where I can buy them? Or if any user want to sell the unused antennas, please tell me.

Thanks

These antennas will work but they are not cheap. Dual Band
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=21679

Thanks for the quick reply!

Those are not cheap, but I think that I'll have to buy them.

I also found this product on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-Ba...727221513?clk_rvr_id=376475677899&mfe=sidebar

But it's so cheap, I'm not sure if those are really dual-band. :rolleyes:

Wow those are cheap. The factory ones are 2dBi dual band. The guy on ebay has 2 dBi ones listed too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-Ba...s_Antennas&hash=item20c44620f7#ht_7505wt_1397
Might be worth a try to see if they work. Only $2.99 ea.

Installed....I don't see and range increase but throughput seems to have a slight increase. Couldn't loose for $30.
But stock antennas has same 5 dbi I think... why are you going to find big difference?
I have bought three http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-Band-2-4-5-8Ghz-9dBi-RP-SMA-High-Gain-Antenna-/130729553117
(now it's no longer available) waitting for delivery in couple of days.
I hope antennas will works in two bands with good SWR.
But I'm sure that I will need to expirimentaly find right channel with the best lever of signal
Unfortunately I don't have equipment for so high frquency to mesure resonance and SWR...

2.4 and 5.8 (!) it's mean last channels in 5GHz band...

Last edited: