What's new

External ASUS 2.5" HDD not detected by router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kirvalainen

New Around Here
Hi there,

I try to mount the brand new ASUS AN350 1TB 2.5" extrernal HDD (NTFS) to my N66U, however it doesn't even appear at the GUI mainpage, nor in the USB application page. At the same time the HDD's led indictator fashes and the unit produces normal working noice. I connect with with a Y-coonector to both USB ports, so this shouldn't be a power issue. When I connect USB memory sticks (also NTFS) they are perfectly recognizable by the device. My laptop also detects the HDD even when connected to a single USB port.

Same result with 3.0.0.4.220 and 3.0.0.4.246.

There's some service software on the HDD, which however does not appear in the explorer when connected to a laptop (could be on a virtual drive). Not sure this is an issue, as I had the same problem with an older totally formatted Transcend 120GB external HDD.

Any solutions?

Last edited:
I connect with with a Y-coonector to both USB ports

Why do you do this? I would think it would confuse the router. Have you tried connecting with a single cable?

Why do you do this? I would think it would confuse the router. Have you tried connecting with a single cable?

2.5 HDDs can't get enough current from a single USB port, so they often ship with an Y connector. The second branch of the Y only connects to the 5V/Gnd pins.

I still see some cases where even an Y connector doesn't supply enough power to the HDD (I had a customer with such an issue only a few weeks ago). Nothing beats using an external power pack if you want to be sure. While the RT-N66U does provide a good amount of power on its USB ports (I was using it to charge my cell phone back when the router sat next to my PC), the HDD might still be too borderline to be reliable.

Note that this is just a theory tho. In this particular case, the issue might be something else entirely.

Get a HD caddy that has it's own power supply. My Aluratec Caddy works fine.

Those Y-connectors really don't make sense to me, an Y-connector with only 5 V and Gnd connected in one of the connectors would only be able to add 100 mA (because that is the maximum current a USB device is allowed to draw without negotiation with the host).

With negotiation the limit is 500 mA, so one "full" connector can give 500 mA and a "dumb" Y-connector 600 mA (not a very big difference).

But I bet some devices using a Y-connector try to draw like 700-800 mA A with negotiation only on one of the ports. That will most likely make the USB host overcurrent protection shut down one of the ports.

Got a reply from Asus tech support, that the matter might be is the hidden partition of the drive assigned for some service sofware.

Not sure they are right though. Tested other drives (120 and 320 GB SATA NTFS) with two different controllers -- both drives were accurately recognized with one controller, and failed with the other. Asked tech support to confirm the matter is not there..

Going to wipe out that hidden partition as the next step..

Last edited: