What's new

Extra ASUS Router for VPN & Adblock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sevad

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm VERY new to any of this stuff (clueless), and I've been trying unsuccessfully to figure out how to add an extra router to my home network purely to have a VPN and adblock on there.

I have a Zyxel T-56 router (supplied by my ISP) for my "normal" home network. I bought an ASUS RT-AX86S recently, thinking I could add this to my existing router to create a second wireless network with a VPN, as well as adblock.

Firstly, when connecting the ASUS router to the Zyxel one (LAN to WAN), the max speed I can get is 100Mbit. I have a 1Gbit connection so I guess this can be improved with a different configuration?

Using NordVPN through OpenVPN (client), I have been able to successfully setup a VPN via this router. I have also managed to get diversion and adblocking working too. What I've so far failed to do, is get both working at once, and at speeds of more than 100Mbit. Is what I'm looking to do actually possible? Any advice or help with this would be massively appreciated, thank you.

You don't need two routers. Most modern Asus routers support both VPN (client and server) and Ad Block via DNS service. Just configure your Asus router as your main router and use both of these features.

the max speed I can get is 100Mbit

Check the connection. Asuswrt GUI will tell you if WAN connection is Gigabit or Fast Ethernet.

and at speeds of more than 100Mbit

After fixing the connection - expect up to about 200Mbps on OpenVPN with this router, limited by the CPU.

Check the connection. Asuswrt GUI will tell you if WAN connection is Gigabit or Fast Ethernet.

After fixing the connection - expect up to about 200Mbps on OpenVPN with this router, limited by the CPU.

It was a dodgy cable, speeds are good now, thanks.

You don't need two routers. Most modern Asus routers support both VPN (client and server) and Ad Block via DNS service. Just configure your Asus router as your main router and use both of these features.

I've tried many different things and nothing is working unfortunately. As I said, I can have a VPN running (NordVPN through OpenVPN), but I am unable to get any form of Adblock running (also through the router) at the same time.

When I try and connect to the AdGuard DNS, I get this message on the website:

Your current IP address (I've hidden it) cannot be linked to this device. We only allow linking IP addresses of home Internet providers. If you're using a VPN or iCloud Private Relay, try disabling it. Please contact our support service if you believe that this is a mistake

Is your Zyxel modem is bridge mode so you are presented with a public IP on the Asus router WAN interface?

Edit: never mind. I thought you were trying to set up a vpn server, not client. I think the error you are getting is self explanatory. You can't use both the two services you are trying to use at the same time.

Last edited:
We only allow linking IP addresses of home Internet providers. If you're using a VPN or iCloud Private Relay, try disabling it.
Apply to this.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!