What's new

Extremely slow initial connection (handshake?) on 5GHz band (RT-AC66U B1)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

osen

New Around Here
First of all I am aware (as per the FAQ) that WiFi is closed source, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there's a setting or tweak available to remedy the issue.

The problem scenario is as follows: when I wake a mobile device and try to use any app requiring internet access the initial handshake (?) is extremely slow when using the 5 GHz band (2.4 is fine). It's very inconsistent, but can take up to 10s. Sometimes I have to close and relaunch the app, or deactivate and activate WiFi. After this the speed is as expected and everything is snappy as long as the device isn't put to sleep again. This happens on (at least) two different phones and one tablet, all of different makes and models.

What I have tried so far is playing around with control channels, channel bandwidth and disabling beamforming with no change. I have heard that this router has issues with the 5 GHz hardware so I'm not sure if it's even possible to solve, but before throwing it out I figured I could ask here.

First of all I am aware (as per the FAQ) that WiFi is closed source, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there's a setting or tweak available to remedy the issue.

The problem scenario is as follows: when I wake a mobile device and try to use any app requiring internet access the initial handshake (?) is extremely slow when using the 5 GHz band (2.4 is fine). It's very inconsistent, but can take up to 10s. Sometimes I have to close and relaunch the app, or deactivate and activate WiFi. After this the speed is as expected and everything is snappy as long as the device isn't put to sleep again. This happens on (at least) two different phones and one tablet, all of different makes and models.

What I have tried so far is playing around with control channels, channel bandwidth and disabling beamforming with no change. I have heard that this router has issues with the 5 GHz hardware so I'm not sure if it's even possible to solve, but before throwing it out I figured I could ask here.

Is this a new issue after no changes?

What are the router's non-default 5.0 wireless settings? I assume you are using different SSIDs for each band?

OE

Is this a new issue after no changes?

What are the router's non-default 5.0 wireless settings? I assume you are using different SSIDs for each band?

OE
No, it's been an issue with this unit from the start and across different firmwares, including the official ASUS ones. Yes, I am indeed using different SSIDs for each band. I don't think I've changed anything default apart from disabling beamforming and control channel/channel bandwidth, but my current settings are the following:

router2.jpg

router1.jpg

Try this:

Wireless Mode: Auto
Control Channel: in 36-48 or 149-161 range
Channel Bandwidth: 80MHz or 20/40/80MHz
Roaming Assistant: Disabled
802.11ac Beamforming: Enabled

Try this:

Wireless Mode: Auto
Control Channel: in 36-48 or 149-161 range
Channel Bandwidth: 80MHz or 20/40/80MHz
Roaming Assistant: Disabled
802.11ac Beamforming: Enabled

Thank you, will do and update. Only the lower range (36-48) is available on my router it seems. Region thing I assume? There are a lot of networks on 36-48 picked up here, that's why I tried the least populated range.

Experiment and see what works best for you. Channel 64 is in DFS range. It may be available and better, but some devices tend to connect faster on standard 36-48 channels.

Experiment and see what works best for you. Channel 64 is in DFS range. It may be available and better, but some devices tend to connect faster on standard 36-48 channels.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference, if any. It might be time for retirement for the ol' B1 because this is driving me insane. Thank you for the suggestions though :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!