What's new

Factory reset AC-68U via SSH

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrhjr

New Around Here
Hi.

So here's my question - can I initiate a factory reset on an Asus RT-AC68U running stock firmware via SSH?

Backstory ... I have a four node AIMesh home network. The primary router is a Merlin AC86U, then two XT8s running stock and then the 68U (which was born a TM-AC1900 but is now running stock Asus firmware). I know I'm evil for posting this question on this board because the specific question isn't about Merlin firmware and because it's about the TM-AC1900 (that's entered the witness protection program as the 68U). Anyway ... Last night after making a minor tweak to my primary Merlin router the thing went into a reboot loop from which there was no escape. I had to factory reset it and rebuild it and it seems to be working fine (although I feel like if I enable the 5g guest Wifi on profile one it'll reboot loop again but that's a hunch and a question for another post). Everything is almost back to normal except the 68U ... Obviously it's no longer joined to the whole home AIMesh network - but it thinks it is. It seems to be acting as a standalone access point for the moment - allowing connectivity to my network through it and I'm able to reach it via SSH (and the web but it obviously won't do anything because it's just a secondary node). It's in my garage attic which is hard to reach and it's cold outside. I'd rather sit here and ask y'all if there's a keyboard/SSH method for initiating the factory reset versus going up there to hold a darn button for 10 seconds. So that's my dilemma.

All routers were upgraded to their most current firmware about two weeks ago (or before) when Merlin released 386.1_2 (even the ones running Asus stock).

Help?

I think a "nvram erase && reboot" will do. Be careful to SSH into the right node though.