What's new

Fail Safe Dual Router setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dookei

New Around Here
Hit there,
I didnt try this yet but I would like to ask for an opinion before I start pulling the cables.;)
My idea is to have a redundant Dual router setup, in case one router gets powered off or malfunctions the other should work and allow users to access the wifi. This way I can still access the survaillance cameras and servers.
Important to notice that I am using the routers in AI-Mesh at the moment.

My Setup
Router1 : ASUS RT-AC88U
Router2 : ASUS ROG GT-AX6000
Managed POE Switch: GS316EP
Unmanged 2.5Gbps Switch: Qnap QSW-1105-5T
Modem(with integrated Switch): Fritzbox 7490

Option A:
1676641589306.png

Option B:
1676641710271.png

This should work right ? Is there a way to keep all with the same IP?
The cameras are connected to the POW Switch, but both servers are connected to both switchs( POE 1Gbps and 2.5Gbps)
Or should I connect both Asus routers over the switch (option B)?
Is it possbile to still use AI-Mesh ?

Looking forward to your replies!

Attachments

• 1676640916812.png
    1676640916812.png
    173 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Your Fritzbox is not just a modem, but Wi-Fi modem/router. Use it as your backup. I have a setup like this for years with ISP modem/router providing backup Wi-Fi and VoIP connected to it. If I need to reboot, upgrade or re-arrange my main system there is backup Wi-Fi available and the phone is working. Simple solutions work better and are more reliable. Your Fritzbox is perhaps already in Router mode (unless your ISP provides 2x public IPs).

Typically, if you are using Passthrough/DMZplus on the Fritzbox, for the mac address you have it configured for (the router) only one device can be used. If you are using the Fritzbox as a router you can run into situations as you are double nat'ting ( https://www.pcworld.com/article/412237/how-to-identify-and-resolve-double-nat-problems.html or just Google "Double NAT" ) but even if you you could get this to work. There will still be a downtime at the network routing changes are propogated locally across all your devices and as a result there will be downtime anyway. Remember these are consumer grade devices, would it be nice if they had support for OSPF maybe but then it would likely be more than a consumer could handle and they wouldn't be priced as consumer grade devices either...

you can run into situations as you are double nat'ting

No issues whatsoever in double NAT. The ISP router runs UPnP for attached to it devices with the second router WAN IP in DMZ. The ISP router can be used not only for backup purposes, but for Guest Wi-Fi and IoT network as well. More benefits than potential drawbacks.

Hi guys,
many thanks your input. I appreciate it.
How about this setup? I set Router RT-AC88U with fails-safe for Ethernet P1.
If the router GT-AX6000 is down ... it switchs to the P1 Ethernet.
If the RT-AC88U is down the GT-AX6000 works normal.
1676657731545.png

1676657776017.png

Attachments

• 1676657561733.png
    1676657561733.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 43
Hit there,
I didnt try this yet but I would like to ask for an opinion before I start pulling the cables.;)
My idea is to have a redundant Dual router setup, in case one router gets powered off or malfunctions the other should work and allow users to access the wifi. This way I can still access the survaillance cameras and servers.
Important to notice that I am using the routers in AI-Mesh at the moment.

My Setup
Router1 : ASUS RT-AC88U
Router2 : ASUS ROG GT-AX6000
Managed POE Switch: GS316EP
Unmanged 2.5Gbps Switch: Qnap QSW-1105-5T
Modem(with integrated Switch): Fritzbox 7490

Option A:
View attachment 48034

Option B:
View attachment 48035

This should work right ? Is there a way to keep all with the same IP?
The cameras are connected to the POW Switch, but both servers are connected to both switchs( POE 1Gbps and 2.5Gbps)
Or should I connect both Asus routers over the switch (option B)?
Is it possbile to still use AI-Mesh ?

Looking forward to your replies!
I run a double NAT setup. The first router is primarily for IoT type devices which connect using a guest networks and are blocked from accessing intranet. Second router is for my more secure/trusted devices. If for some reason the WiFi on the second router fails then wireless users can connect to the Wifi on the first router.

In the case of a hardware failure I have a pair of routers that I can swap into service quickly. Every so often I update the firmware and settings on these routers so they as closely as possible match current settings on production hardware. I can have the backups online within minutes. Biggest delay is if have to reboot modem to make it work with substitute router.

Hi guys,
much appreciated fory our inputs. I chose the Failsafe wiring . I believe this is the best option for my needs. I will still need to tweak/experiment a little bit around with the failsafe. But it should work for my needs.
Thanks once again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!