What's new

FAQ(?): Recommended devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Colin 't Hart

New Around Here
Hi,

I couldn't find this in the FAQ. Is there any particular Asuswrt-Merlin capable device that is particularly recommended? I was shopping for a new Openwrt compatible router (or two) and have been simply confused by all the choice available. Then I stumbled across Asuswrt-Merlin which makes the choice much simpler.

I note in particular that there are several models that run the same firmware; are there major hardware differences between those? Or is it OK to just shop around for the best deal?

We have 100/100MBit fiber and no plans to upgrade to anything faster. No gaming, but a lot of streaming.

Maybe it's possible to recommend different routers at different price points? I don't need the latest and greatest router.

Thanks,

Colin

Hi,

I couldn't find this in the FAQ. Is there any particular Asuswrt-Merlin capable device that is particularly recommended? I was shopping for a new Openwrt compatible router (or two) and have been simply confused by all the choice available. Then I stumbled across Asuswrt-Merlin which makes the choice much simpler.

I note in particular that there are several models that run the same firmware; are there major hardware differences between those? Or is it OK to just shop around for the best deal?

We have 100/100MBit fiber and no plans to upgrade to anything faster. No gaming, but a lot of streaming.

Maybe it's possible to recommend different routers at different price points? I don't need the latest and greatest router.

Thanks,

Colin
AC3100 and AC68U are great routers and have great wifi coverage the AC3100 being a little better overall than the AC68U. Both are supported by Asuswrt-Merlin. Supported devices are found here.

Welcome to the forum!

If you go down the Asuswrt-Merlin route you can basically forget about Openwrt, since its Broadcom support is very weak.

Last edited:
RT-AC68u - Budget option. Works fine for most users.
RT-AC86u - Newer generation, mid level, fast CPU, decent WiFi. Curent sweet spot for most users.
RT-AC88u - 8 1GB ethernet ports. Awesome WiFi signal. My current router. Slightly better wifi and 8 lan ports, though the cpu is slower than the AC86u cpu. So if VPN is your thing, go for the 86u
RT-AX88u - New generation of the AC88u. Same features, but you also get WiFi AX and I beleive a quad core CPU which is faster than the other routers listed above. Also get 1gb ram. If you don't mind the cost, this is probably the best to go for in terms of being future proofed as I imagine AX will be quite popular over the next 2-3 years.

Just my opinion on them.

Thanks for the great replies, in particular Gouldin. That's very helpful. I'll keep an eye on the prices of those models and make a purchase when I see a good deal.

You might also want to browse through the forum (the titles of the threads) to see which models are having problems. Then look on Merlin’s download page, which gives you an idea of what proportion of all the models they constitute.

I believe you’ll find, as Skeal has already said, that the RT-AC68U is is a very popular and extremely reliable router.

At these prices (converted to USD from local currency (SEK)), which would you choose?
1. RT-AC86U at $185
2. RT-AC88U at $252.50
3. A two pack of RT-AC68U for $257.50

At those prices, I'd opt for the RT-AC86u, I've found mesh mode on anything that isn't a Tri-Band router or using a wired backhaul to be pretty useless in terms of speed.
at 185, saving a fair bit of cash and getting the newest generation of router model in terms of AC models.

I should have mentioned that I can connect the two routers via a "wired backhaul".

We live in a split level apartment spread over 4 floors (2 real floors). Concrete floors and walls mean the signal doesn't reach outside at all, and the signal is pretty poor at the furthest point, even if it's not actually that far from the router, so I'm seriously considering two routers.

Also, a single RT-AC68U is $143 here. Are these prices much worse than in the US?

I should have mentioned that I can connect the two routers via a "wired backhaul".

We live in a split level apartment spread over 4 floors (2 real floors). Concrete floors and walls mean the signal doesn't reach outside at all, and the signal is pretty poor at the furthest point, even if it's not actually that far from the router, so I'm seriously considering two routers.

Also, a single RT-AC68U is $143 here. Are these prices much worse than in the US?

The RT-AC68U is $132 USD and $195 CAD on amazon so its within range.

i'm with Gouldin on this one

RT-AC86U at $185 is a great price and its abit more future proof than the 68U

i'm with Gouldin on this one

RT-AC86U at $185 is a great price and its a bit more future proof than the 68U

I also agree with these guys. The RT-AC86U will probably be supported longer since it is newer and if you do need more ports a really good unmanaged switch is cheap to add to your network.

In that case you will have fewer setup and maintenance issues if you configure the second router as an Access Point, and ignore mesh.

I have a similar environment (2 floors, lots of concrete and steel). I have been using an 86U as my primary router with hardwired 68U APs for years - service was pretty good. With the latest release I decided to try setting up a mesh network for the 68Us (2 of them). I have to admit that this setup works better than the AP approach - far fewer dropped connections on the APs and MUCH better mobility within the building...

So I guess it will vary per user.

Some people are good with Mesh others better in AP mode.

Can one of you using either setup post a positive vs negative for each?

I have a similar environment (2 floors, lots of concrete and steel). I have been using an 86U as my primary router with hardwired 68U APs for years - service was pretty good. With the latest release I decided to try setting up a mesh network for the 68Us (2 of them). I have to admit that this setup works better than the AP approach - far fewer dropped connections on the APs and MUCH better mobility within the building...
Something else has changed then. The actual radios do not change so the coverage area would still be the same unless one of the devices was moved or the antennas placed at a different angle.

I have no problem roaming around the house. If I am in my 2nd floor office I open my cell phone and I see it is logged in to the main router in that office. I move downstairs and I see it is logged into the access point in the living room -- even though it has a different SSID.

So I guess it will vary per user.

Some people are good with Mesh others better in AP mode.

Can one of you using either setup post a positive vs negative for each?
The biggest advantage of mesh for me would be if I did not have an Ethernet cable dropped to the living room. And then mesh might work if the main router signal there is enough to service the mesh point.

The advantage of access points is that you just plug them in and go. They don't worry about the signal strength from the master, they don't worry about different SSIDs, they need no further setup, they don't even need to be the same brand; they just sit there and work.

Or you can get cheap used 68Us.

You might need more than one for your appartement.
I would take 2x 68U if you dont use VPN on router.
And update to AX-Wifi in some years when it becomes standard and your line gets faster too.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!