What's new

Fare thee well, AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Get the RT-AC86U. Great router!

If the retailer is no longer in business you then go to the manufacturer.
You will never get anything from manufacturer!!!

I opend a ticket at Asus, all what they told me was I have to contact my dealer, they will ONLY accept it this way!
And yes registred all devices right after purchase on Asus ... so for what ?

Transcend nothing better, 10 years warrenty and all 3 memory card defective after 2 years, wanted to have only one refunded or changed, at the end they said the device doesnt match my amazon invoice.

I opend a ticket at Asus, all what they told me was I have to contact my dealer, they will ONLY accept it this way!

You forgot to mention that you bought your device outside your region, which was why you were told that...

I've done quite a few RMAs with Asus over the years, including a three weeks old Zenpad 3S last year. Never had any problem getting warranty services from them.

If I buy a product from a local shop and it falls apart after two months, I expect to be able to take it back to the store and get redress.. It doesn't matter whether it's a router, a pair of jeans,.. .

Colin, I’ve seen this: people wearing obviously brand new jeans and they’re coming apart in several places on the legs. I’ll tell them they can take them back and get a refund.

Last edited:
I had a Synology 2600ac router. It decided to disable LAN port 1 at random times.
Did troubleshooting with Synology for months. Finally they said to return it to the seller. This was 360 days after I had bought it.
I told Synology that the seller wasn't likely to take a year old return.
I contacted Amazon (US) and after a very brief wait on chat (<5 minutes) I got a full refund.

Then I bought my AC86U.

Synology, to their credit, did respond and offered a replacement as they were the cause of the late decision to replace the router.
Didn't really like the Synology though, many things it could not do. Great device for someone who just wants WiFi to work though.

Moral? Always try to get a return done, even if you are sure it isn't going to be accepted. I had two surprises in one incident!

It is indeed. I'm on my way home from work now with my AC86U by my side, looking forward to getting it running with Merlin-y goodness
Working out some kinks by the looks of some of the other threads. ;)

You will never get anything from manufacturer!!!

And yes registred all devices right after purchase on Asus ... so for what ?

Transcend nothing better, 10 years warrenty and all 3 memory card defective after 2 years, wanted to have only one refunded or changed, at the end they said the device doesnt match my amazon invoice.

Your problem is probably the way you speak to people.

I have had no problem getting repairs/replacement or refund from makers when their product was in the warranty period.

Your problem is probably the way you speak to people.
I have had no problem getting repairs/replacement or refund from makers when their product was in the warranty period.
Sure, its my fault that in US VW paid billions and in EU you just get nothing, beg your pardon. UK in some ways is different - ever been - and soon not even EU.
NO, its only different behavior of Asus in different regions with other laws too!

If you would read amazon reviews in different countries (languages) you could understand what I mean.