What's new

Faster Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I already know how to do it

Perfect. What's the point asking questions then? Just do what you know. Make sure people using this system know how to support it themselves, otherwise you accept the support duties automatically. Share your gaming experience so they know what to expect in gaming. Done.

The only question he asked was 'Is anyone doing this'. :rolleyes:

Most just wire their gaming devices to the router they have. No L3 switch needed. It doesn't make the network faster. Straight short answer.

Most just wire their gaming devices to the router they have. No L3 switch needed. It doesn't make the network faster. Straight short answer.
It depends on your traffic. Networks now days are growing, and it is not just a couple of PCs any more like the old days. As home networks grow the more a L3 switch will benefit the network.

You cannot discount all L3 switches. If they did not help, they would not be made. They are designed by people with far more network knowledge than you or I have. Just because you don't understand it does not mean they cannot help.

You cannot discount all L3 switches. If they did not help, they would not be made. They are designed by people with far more network knowledge than you or I have. Just because you don't understand it does not mean they cannot help.

By that logic you should be driving an 18 wheeler as your daily driver.

Your mind is set, so go for it. You asked if others were doing it, and the reason nobody answered "yes" is because most understand that with the exception of a few remote scenarios (in a home environment) it is of no benefit and could actually be a disadvantage.

Just because someone doesn't agree with your "understanding", doesn't mean they do not understand. In this case, quite the opposite actually.

By that logic you should be driving an 18 wheeler as your daily driver.

Your mind is set, so go for it. You asked if others were doing it, and the reason nobody answered "yes" is because most understand that with the exception of a few remote scenarios (in a home environment) it is of no benefit and could actually be a disadvantage.

Just because someone doesn't agree with your "understanding", doesn't mean they do not understand. In this case, quite the opposite actually.
I am ignoring you so I cannot read your content.
Please do not respond to my threads. Thank you. I will not respond to your threads.

Is there a way to permanently block a user to respond to my threads?

Last edited:
As home networks grow the more a L3 switch will benefit the network.

As total number of devices, but active devices are limited by the number of family members. Unless you are talking about a family of 100.

Just because you don't understand

I have 3x 10GbE L3 switches in use on my business networks with 10GbE links to storage servers and network segmentation with user authorization and everything needed there. No one needs L3 switch for family use though. Definitely not needed for gaming. Understanding networks means you know the hardware capabilities and use whatever is needed in every specific case. You don't slap the only thing you know everywhere. Someone has to pay for it. In your case this L3 switch is a waste of money, hardware and electricity. There will be no measurable difference with or without it. This is what I know.

I agree 10 gig does prolong the need for L3. Yes, you can get away with poor networking with large amounts of bandwidth. But L3 burns a lot less electricity than 10 gig and you have that wrong. The only reason I don't run 10 gig is because it burns too much electricity and gives off too much heat which causes the fans to run and I hate the noise. I have 10gig running, I just don't run it. The switch is too noisy for me at home. Once I have 10gig running I am going to run a routing protocol.

It still comes down to L3 switches helps networking and is a good thing. Like I keep saying there would not be any L3 switches if they were bad. The smart network people built the L3 switches. You can deny it all you want but your lack of knowledge will not make them go away.

Last edited:
I am ignoring you so I cannot read your content.
Please do not respond to my threads. Thank you. I will not respond to your threads.

Is there a way to permanently block a user to respond to my threads?

You can put your fingers in your ears and go LALALALLALA

I agree 10 gig does prolong the need for L3

10GbE has nothing to do here. I run Gigabit at home with pfSense router/firewall, switch and access points. We are 4 people here with about 1TB traffic average monthly. I had a home lab before 200lbs metal and don't remember how many fans. All got removed years ago, I played with it enough, not need it anymore. Now what I need fits in a grocery bag and runs under 100W including the 2-drive NAS running 24/7. Everything runs the same way as before. You have x86 hardware used for gateway. This thing can route and switch 5Gb traffic or more. What do you need so much for your online TV and Web browsing? What is going to become better with more hardware? Most gamers use consumer AIO routers for 200-300 bucks.

You may have had 200 lbs of metal but I doubt you could build a good L3 network with it.

If nothing else, you would not have enough power to run 200 lbs networking equipment. You probably would be looking for around 100 amps. How would you cool it?

You have no concept of this.

Last edited:
This type of conversation always ends this way - personal attacks unrelated to technical matter. You ask questions and don't accept the answers. What you believe in and what your doubts are doesn't matter. I told you what the end result is going to be. You are free to build whatever you believe fits your requirements. I'm not paying for it and have nothing to do with it. My only advice - train the people using it how to support it and make changes to it. Otherwise you tie yourself to it. Not sure if your granddaughter or her parents will be interested in configuring switches.

It is not a problem as I am building her game network at my house on my network not hers. She spends a lot of time at my house.

And you are not giving any good advice as you are just trying to make yourself look good. So far, I have not learned anything from you. Other than you like small routers because you are comfortable with them. And you have no concept of running large networking equipment.

Last edited:

For most home LAN's - having a single LAN/WLAN network is sufficient - Guest Network adds a WLAN/VLAN with specific policies...

Like I said - good enough for most...

Getting into the SME space (Small/Medium Enterprise) - VLAN's have utility here, mostly to limit broadcast space/domains....

@coxhaus - you have a preference for L3 switches and the level of control it provides - I acknowledge this, and I would like to believe others do as well.

I'll also advise you - your use case likely does not apply to others... which probably adds to the friction here

can we all agree to disagree perhaps?

And you are not giving any good advice

Okay. Register to gaming forums and ask your questions there.

Here is one:

I don't game. I build networks. There are too many variables. I bet some of them kick everybody off their network so they can game better because they get pauses. I want 20 plus wireless devices running plus some PCs. I could see DMZ working as well.
I am not fond of a wireless router with a bunch of L2 segments bridged together.

Last edited:
Here is a link about trying to use L2 across the internet and they think it is a hairbrained idea, this is their term. I thought it was interesting.
It does not exactly apply to a local network. But it is along the lines of people trying to overuse L2.

Last edited:
Yea. Finally, someone with knowledge. You can add security for vlans.

Sure - and in multiple ways - including even limits on access - some may desire to keep certain clients only on the intranet (as a whole, or on a dedicated VLAN).

Again, adds complexity, but at the same time, if one has the skillset and desire, nothing wrong with it.

My Synology Router supports L3 switching - most of the newer Broadcom/Qualcomm/Mediatek router chipsets support full L3 switching, but most OEM's don't expose it - I suppose that is to limit the impact to Customer Support

Case in point - Qualcomm's IPQ4019, which is a lower/mid tier router/AP chipset - with the Qualcomm SSDK, it has a very rich set of capabilities and commands, more than what most L3 switches offer, as the SoC has to manage the internal switch, the WLAN interfaces, the LAN and WAN, along with the NSS subsystems for packet acceleration - and all the Mesh capabilities...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!