What's new

Faster Wireless Download Speed Over Wired Connection Between PS5 and Netgear R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dynex88

New Around Here
Hi everyone. I am new here so if this is in the wrong thread please let me know. I recently upgraded to 1 gig fiber internet. My Netgear R7000's wired speed doesn't seem to be as fast as it should be. The R7000 has only one LAN connected to a PS5 and 8 wireless devices. When I did speed tests on the PS5 it showed that wireless was faster than wired for download and upload. I know the PS5 can have higher speeds when I connect it to the PON Nokia provided by the company. Is this a problem and if so how do I trouble shoot it? Or am I just being stupid and that is just how it works.

Last edited:
The r7800 will do gig speeds. If you're replacing the r7000 though you might as well upgrade to ax for more speed on WiFi.

The r7800 will do gig speeds. If you're replacing the r7000 though you might as well upgrade to ax for more speed on WiFi.
Ah so I have to get a new device then? I thought the R7000 supported gigabit ethernet ports? I have had the device for 3 years but I didn't think I had to upgrade already.

Just because you connect a device with a gig port to a router with a gig port using a good cable doesn't mean the device will be able to acheive gig speeds. Depends on the device's processor, RAM etc.

I have had the device for 3 years but I didn't think I had to upgrade already.

Netgear R7000 was released in 2013. You've got already obsolete device 3 years ago. It can do Gigabit wired, but it depends on firmware settings. They have to be close to basics. It can also do >400Mbps on wireless, close around the router to common 2-stream AC client. With 8 wireless devices only though you may not need to change it. You don't download games on your PS5 every day, I guess. Are 5-10 more minutes critical for you? Mobile devices like phones/tablets don't need very high speed either. They have nothing to do with it. You upgraded your Internet to speeds exceeding the capabilities of your current hardware. I would downgrade the ISP line to 400/400 or 500/500, if available. Save some money and continue using R7000. Otherwise you'll have to upgrade your router and your clients for relatively small benefits from your investment. It's up to you.

Thanks everyone for helping explain what was going on! I will definitely look into upgrading once one of the routers go on sale.

Ah so I have to get a new device then? I thought the R7000 supported gigabit ethernet ports? I have had the device for 3 years but I didn't think I had to upgrade already.
I ran into a similar issue when I upped to 1gig and the cable modem I was using didn't support those speeds so I swapped that and put an old router onto it and it failed miserably. That's how I ended up with the R7800 after a couple of tries. Then I got sick of the buggy firmware being released all the time and just made my own router/wifi using a PC.

I will definitely look into upgrading

You perhaps got caught into a classic ISP speed upgrade offer for only $10/months more and then you spend $500 extra to match the speed with new equipment on your end. After all the upgrades you realize your Internet use and experience is about the same and you just fed the hardware vendor and continue feeding your ISP for services you don't really need or use. You don't seem like a heavy user with your very small network, but your ISP will be more than happy to accept your payments. Your unused portion of this Gigabit service will be offered to another customer and most likely he will do the same as you. This is how it works, business. At least you can show your friends 940/940 symmetric fiber speedtest.

LOL @Tech9 That does sum it up for most. I did enjoy quick downloads though with Gig but, my $50/mo 5G works just as well. I don't miss that $100 bill from Comcast each month at all. I have no data caps now and 70-100mbps UL which leaves some room for other data vs the 1200/40mbps. Needs / goals change over time and so should your ISP. It's like every 6-12 months you should get new quotes on your insurance instead of taking the increase for every renewal.

When there is a need, I agree - get the deal. When there is no need - you just pay for services you don't use or rarely use. @dynex88 used for 3 years a router from 2013 with no issues. Now PS5 faster downloads will perhaps cost him $250 or more + 12x monthly fee increase. He won't see much difference on Wi-Fi until he upgrades the clients, minus phones/tablets because the speed there doesn't matter much. Web surfing experience is about the same over 150Mbps speeds, UHD video streams fit under 40Mbps even with multi-channel audio. Basically upgrade for better speedtest and few minutes faster download to whatever can reach Gigabit. No NAS is mentioned above and perhaps superfast internal network is also not really needed. ISPs know most users don't use even 10% of Gigabit lines they pay for and resell Gigabit service over and over again with "up to" condition.

@Tech9

I hammered Comcast for bandwidth one month when their stupid cap counter didn't alert properly and went over using one of the free months. IIRC I DL'd 3TB of queued up data from a list of things I was looking for and made sure to use the most of that free month o data cap nonsense. Realistically though single user / tons of DL's maxing at ~500mbps typically. There's some room left for other stuff to be going on like streaming things w/o interruptions or QOS issues. It takes some effort to max out that kind of connection w/o artificial data loads. Now if you have a ton of people using the same connection that's a different story. Even continuous streaming doesn't use that much BW. I suppose if you upped it to 4K but, even then the compression from the providers is nothing like a local stream of raw 4K. When recording OTA in MPEG2 I use more bandwidth.

I have some stats from my firewall at my house. For my family of four with usual work/learn from home, web browsing and streaming the traffic rarely exceeds 1.5TB/month with speeds rarely going over 150Mbps, only blips here and there for mostly my downloads of larger files. I have few different Internet plans in different places, all unlimited traffic, all cable with 100/40, 300/20 and 500/30 speeds. No much of Internet experience difference. In my business places I have new 300/300 fiber lines. No issues with daily activities and backups to off-site servers.

Hi everyone. I am new here so if this is in the wrong thread please let me know. I recently upgraded to 1 gig fiber internet. My Netgear R7000's wired speed doesn't seem to be as fast as it should be. The R7000 has only one LAN connected to a PS5 and 8 wireless devices. When I did speed tests on the PS5 it showed that wireless was faster than wired for download and upload. I know the PS5 can have higher speeds when I connect it to the PON Nokia provided by the company. Is this a problem and if so how do I trouble shoot it? Or am I just being stupid and that is just how it works.

The R7000 allows you to get 900Mbps NAT speeds with hardware acceleration enabled, but the stock firmware can't tell you exactly whether or not NAT acceleration is enabled.

I would recommend switching from stock firmware that lacks security updates, lacks critical features, to Fresh Tomato, which supports NAT acceleration.

There's no reason the PS5 needs to be that fast, you're using it to play games, not just download them. In fact if you look at the traffic data when playing games, you will be surprised that they don't need a lot of bandwidth, 10Mbps is enough.

You perhaps got caught into a classic ISP speed upgrade offer for only $10/months more and then you spend $500 extra to match the speed with new equipment on your end. After all the upgrades you realize your Internet use and experience is about the same and you just fed the hardware vendor and continue feeding your ISP for services you don't really need or use. You don't seem like a heavy user with your very small network, but your ISP will be more than happy to accept your payments. Your unused portion of this Gigabit service will be offered to another customer and most likely he will do the same as you. This is how it works, business. At least you can show your friends 940/940 symmetric fiber speedtest.
I agree, I don't think most home users will fully utilize their gigabit speeds for years to come.

Edit:

For those on stock, the R7000 still gets security updates and occasional fixes. Last firmware was this July.
Thanks @avtella for the correction, I've switched to tomato since netgear from 2020 refused to provide feature maintenance for the R7000 and removed features that were already in the stock firmware, so my comment is not correct.

Last edited:
With the R7000’s BCM chipset from that generation to get near gig speeds you need to ensure things like QoS and traffic monitor turned off. Other wise cut through forwarding gets disabled if I recall dropping peak throughput to around 350-400 Mbps range.

For those on stock, the R7000 still gets security updates and occasional fixes. Last firmware was this July.

Other wise cut through forwarding gets disabled if I recall dropping peak throughput to around 350-400 Mbps range.

Lower, around 250Mbps with nothing much running on it. FT has Cake option for ARMv7, with it enabled around 180Mbps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!