What's new

Fastest wired through-put Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Schoolhouse science project/proof of concept, and valid for 100Gbps and above connections...

Some of that has been implemented in SSL accelerators for big iron (as vector specific ASIC's) - AES-NI for newer Intel chips is similar, and ARM/MIPS have implementations that can work very well depending on the core in use...

A very interesting idea, no doubt, but I am confused why it was mentioned in this thread.

System Error Message said:
If you dont need embedded theres always the standard x86 solutions to usewith GPU based linux router, pfsense and the like.

At best, that quote is outside the intent of this thread (home use), at worst, it is 100% wrong.

So does the EdgeRouter Lite come in a model with wi-fi? If not would it be easy to set up the rt-n66u on one of the ports of the EdgeRouter Lite and use it for the wifi? I have 4 devices that connect to the wifi.

So does the EdgeRouter Lite come in a model with wi-fi? If not would it be easy to set up the rt-n66u on one of the ports of the EdgeRouter Lite and use it for the wifi? I have 4 devices that connect to the wifi.

AP mode is super-easy to setup with Asus routers. So yeah, plug it in to a port on the EdgeRouter Lite and you are good to go.

So I was checking the bench mark on the front page and it didn't list the EdgeRouter Lite as one of the fastest wired. Why do I still believe it is? Does the pps make a bigger difference?

EDIT: and how much faster is it than the rt-n66u? Is it more stable firmware wise?

ubiquiti has their APs if you wanna use em. The cheaper alternative is to use mikrotik as you can get them with wifi integrated or get one with miniPCIe.

pps is more of a measurement of CPU, and if you multiply by packet size gives you bandwidth.

Would the EdgeRouter Lite be considered a better and or faster router than the Asus RT N66u?

Totally different animals. Neither one would be "better" universally. For out-of-the-box functionality and pure routing performance, it's the ER-L of course, but it also lacks the built-in wifi and point-and-click ease of use of the Asus. For negatives, the ER-L's USB flash has been known to fail, while the N66U tends to run hot, with fairly common accounts of product burn-outs in a year or two (see NewEgg/Amazon). Overall, though, both products (when functioning properly) are near top-of-class at their respective strong-suits (one as a router, the other as an N-class AP) -- so I'd say better to use the two in combination. Win-win.

Last edited:
Would the EdgeRouter Lite be considered a better and or faster router than the Asus RT N66u?

Given the questions you've been asking, I feel you'll be better off sticking to a fast all-in-one home router..

Broadcom has announced BCM4908 - a new home router platform. New products with this chipset shall come in 16H2. Could be as early as mid year. The downside is initial retail price won't be cheap and the firmware will take another year to stabilise.

ER-lite is a mature product doing very well at what it's good at (routing)..but the hardware platform is showing its age (circa 2007/8). ER-X is built on a newer platform but firmware is lacking support for available hardware acceleration (what a waste..) UBNT may eventually enable them in firmware in a year or two.

If your current setup is working well and can afford to sit on the fence a bit longer, I'll wait and see.

I think you may be right. I'll just hold off for a few more years and see how things turn out.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions

I think it is a good question. The only thing I can think of that my be a marker in testing this here is the WAN through put. The higher the number the faster the packets per second.

I have a RV320 router and it is the quickest I have run on my home network but I have not run the RT-n66u nor the ERL.

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I was asking about updating the firmware on my RT N66U model router and came back to this thread and it got me thinking again, lol, sorry. So we are about at the end of the year since this post and I'm not sure but I think newer products are out.. I'm currently reading New Egg reviews about ERLite-3 Link. I'm here with the same questions about if I can get a faster wired router than my RT N66U. If I can I would just aggregate the Asus RT N66U for Wi-Fi for my devices, as an AP. What's been your experiences with your routers as of late?

Since none of the regulars have responded, I'll give you my $.02:

A few months ago I demoted my AC66U running Merlin to use as just an AP, and bought a ER-X to use as a router/firewall. The ER-X SW has support for HW acceleration of IPSEC, routing and NAT and on a 50Mb/s FIOS connection my ER-X generally runs at 1-2% CPU utilization, with QoS and Traffic Monitoring enabled. The UBNT Edgerouter web GUI leaves a lot to be desired (no support at all for IPv6 for example), but the CLI has built in help (just press tab when you don't know what to type next) and I thought it was pretty easy to get used to. Did I mention its only $50?

If you want to look at something else, the Mikrotek HEX v2 is also $50. I've only used the Mikrotek virtual router but I assume the CLI and GUI are the same on the HEX v2. The Mikrotek GUI is much more complete, but their CLI is not really my thing. If you liked HP calculators you would probably like it. Performance of the HEX v2 HW is supposed to be pretty good

See this thread where the regulars debated the pros & cons of ER-X vs HEX

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/edgerouter-x-or-mikrotik-hex-rb750gr-or-something-else.30544/

CCR1072, cisco blade servers all capable of multi gigabit or even terabit performance.
The ERL's hardware acceleration is equivalent to the hardware acceleration of other consumer routers so you dont gain any benefit same with the HEX. However mikrotik is more flexible in their use of hardware acceleration so you can use QoS and hardware acceleration (hardware acceleration as a method of QoS) and accelerating selected traffic. This is something that the ERL cant do.

Thanks for all the replies !

I might have a new situation with more questions regarding an old W series 6 core 12 thread X58 system that needs to be put to use. I was thinking of using it as my first router in an aggregate situation with my RT N 66U as the AP for wifi. Should I start a new thread or continue this one? I've never used a desktop for a router and have absolutely zero knowledge when it comes to where to even start regarding OS software to do I need a server NIC etc.

Thanks for all the replies !

I might have a new situation with more questions regarding an old W series 6 core 12 thread X58 system that needs to be put to use. I was thinking of using it as my first router in an aggregate situation with my RT N 66U as the AP for wifi. Should I start a new thread or continue this one? I've never used a desktop for a router and have absolutely zero knowledge when it comes to where to even start regarding OS software to do I need a server NIC etc.
Depends on how much detail you need.

With that CPU you could handle 10Gb/s internet, go mad. Its highly suggested not to use realtek NICs, go for intel server or even datacenter cards (though for 10Gb/s i have trouble getting QLogic card to work). pfsense is a popular router to consider as it provides a lot of features and is easy to configure but doesnt like realtek NIC. I also have issues with intel server OEM NICs as the intel drivers dont install on windows server despite it being the instructions, not even the OEM drivers work too (such as sun quad port intel NIC).

The 1st gen iseries can overclock well compared to later gens. Its easy to overclock the bus far but overclocking details are more complex however it yields very good results from more internal bandwidth, more L3 bandwidth (i have my 6 core xeon's L3 cache running almost the same speed as L2 cache) and other improvements too. However mine is used for GPGPU and game server.

Depends on how much detail you need.

With that CPU you could handle 10Gb/s internet, go mad. Its highly suggested not to use realtek NICs, go for intel server or even datacenter cards (though for 10Gb/s i have trouble getting QLogic card to work). pfsense is a popular router to consider as it provides a lot of features and is easy to configure but doesnt like realtek NIC. I also have issues with intel server OEM NICs as the intel drivers dont install on windows server despite it being the instructions, not even the OEM drivers work too (such as sun quad port intel NIC).

The 1st gen iseries can overclock well compared to later gens. Its easy to overclock the bus far but overclocking details are more complex however it yields very good results from more internal bandwidth, more L3 bandwidth (i have my 6 core xeon's L3 cache running almost the same speed as L2 cache) and other improvements too. However mine is used for GPGPU and game server.

Interesting. I was also considering it for a gaming server too, lol. I think my only drawback is my service. It's minimal internet access level and not top tier speeds type.

What entry level Intel NIC would be good? I use a Intel CT Adapter in my one rig. Do I need a server OS for a gaming server, or can I use a desktop version, and what is the easiest & best OS for those type of duties? remember i'm a total newb with any of this

Interesting. I was also considering it for a gaming server too, lol. I think my only drawback is my service. It's minimal internet access level and not top tier speeds type.

What entry level Intel NIC would be good? I use a Intel CT Adapter in my one rig. Do I need a server OS for a gaming server, or can I use a desktop version, and what is the easiest & best OS for those type of duties? remember i'm a total newb with any of this
Of the Intel NIC uses an intel chip than yes you can use it even if its a desktop version. Even broadcom NIC can be used too. They have more hardware and better drivers than realtek. Realtek is more of a minimalistic solution, minimal hardware (lowest cost of hardware and size) but puts more strain on the CPU as tasks are done by CPU. My game server runs on amd fx which i put an intel server NIC on and it runs well. AMD's speed issue is less of the CPU, more of the chipset. I am moving the game server onto the intel xeon though that i overclocked to 4Ghz, i plan to overclock it further first. Its aircooled inside a 2U case and has very good temperatures. I use scythe fans so you will want scythe's big heatsink that fits in 2U. They even have a good one i've tried that fits in 1U and it handles the 6 core too.

Realtek NICs arent bad, infact their minimalistic solution gives very low latency. For high throughputs however and driver support they dont do well. People have run pfsense with it but they get more CPU usage. Ofcourse with that CPU even onboard realtek wont be an issue but if you do run it virtually than you cant use realtek because of the drivers not working in virtual.

I've done freshmen/sophomore type research on low latency with NICS and pretty much only came up with what's on Speedguide.net about the game configurations tweaks. Is there anything more to it? It seems both my onboard & Intel ad-on NICs have the same offloading type stuff, with the Intel CT adapter offering a little bit more. Why and how does the onboard Realtek offer lower latency?

I use Gigabit adapters on all my wired devices. 1 adapter with one port is enough for a game server type scenario? (I use to have a dual RF45 adapter Intel NIC link) Now I wish I hadn't sold it, and for so cheap! ugh

How much provider bandwidth would I need for a 10 or 20 player server for games like CS:GO & UT4, the latter being what I play most.