What's new

Faux HT/Gaming adapter setup; thoughts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ashG

Occasional Visitor
Just a quick question for you guys. I just replaced my DGL-4300 with a WNDR3700. My in-laws gave me their old (still working) ASUS RT-N13U after they upgraded their router to the 3700's little brother.

I also just got a new home theater system. The LCD panel doesn't have internet accessibility, but the BR player and DirecTV HDDVR have ethernet ports. I am considering setting the RT-N13U in Repeater mode and using it with the HT setup as the internet access point. The ultimate setup will look like:

DSL -cat5e-> 3700 -wireless-> RT-N13U -cat5e-> theater components

Any thoughts on this? How much trouble should I have with this setup?

Last edited:
Just a quick question for you guys. I just replaced my DGL-4300 with a WNDR3700. My in-laws gave me their old (still working) ASUS RT-N13U after they upgraded their router to the 3700's little brother.

I also just got a new home theater system. The LCD panel doesn't have internet accessibility, but the BR player and DirecTV HDDVR have ethernet ports. I am considering setting the RT-N13U in Repeater mode and using it with the HT setup as the internet access point. The ultimate setup will look like:

DSL -cat5e-> 3700 -wireless-> RT-N13U -cat5e-> theater components

Any thoughts on this? How much trouble should I have with this setup?

You know repeater flip/flop the signal. Can't that RT-N13U be a hardwired AP?

How much internet are you planning on using the internet on your Bluray and DirecTV ?

If its just a little for upgrades or whatever then your setup is fine. A little slowness once in a while wouldnt bother me too much.

But if you plan on using it a lot i would try my hardest to hard-wire the AP with an ethernet cable from your router. since if you do a wireless bridge mode it will cut your speed in half since it now has to send and receive.

Start to get into HD viewing from Youtube better off hardwired from a switch to the Ethernet port on the DTB. Unless you got some good strong router network gear.

Thanks for the replies, they are greatly appreciated.

The computer room is approximately 40 feet and 3 walls away from the home theater. as much as I tried persuading the wife that I could do a decent job, she has totally axed the possibility of running CAT6 under the floor. If it involves drilling or routing, it's a no-go.

It looks like I'll be using the repeater for now and just using it for firmware/software updates and Pandora streaming. Oh well, at least it's something.

The computer room is approximately 40 feet and 3 walls away from the home theater. as much as I tried persuading the wife that I could do a decent job, she has totally axed the possibility of running CAT6 under the floor. If it involves drilling or routing, it's a no-go.

It looks like I'll be using the repeater for now and just using it for firmware/software updates and Pandora streaming. Oh well, at least it's something.

Does that room have a window by chance? You can ditch the drilling part and run the Ethernet cable outside the dwelling. You can buy CAT to match any color today. I run it like that since this home is older. I do drilling into the hardwood floors near the baseboard also and snake the CAT down to the basement. But second and third floors it has to go outside through dryer vents that are not used anymore or through AC in the window, or through storm windows or basement windows I would need to use a wood cutter bit to cut into 5/8 diameter hole or even through drywall. I've tested the CAT under extreme weather conditions and it has held up without cracking or peeling or anything. Hot humid, -30F, snow, ice, rain an etc.

Last edited:

For those uses, the wireless bridge you propose should be fine. You can then experiment with some online streaming from Hulu, etc. to see what that would be like.