What's new

FCC DIR-655 A3 and A4 PCB Changes!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tipstir

Very Senior Member
These pictures dont look like the 655 since it only shows 2 antennas terminals...

I meant to say the A4 pcb only shows 2 antenna terminals. It is probably a different model router.

I meant to say the A4 pcb only shows 2 antenna terminals. It is probably a different model router.

The 3rd RP-SMA jack isn't mounted on the PCB, but instead located on the top shell, with connectivity provided via pigtail.

These pictures dont look like the 655 since it only shows 2 antennas terminals...

Look again A4 design is different than A3 but all have 3 ANTs..

The 3rd RP-SMA jack isn't mounted on the PCB, but instead located on the top shell, with connectivity provided via pigtail.

Jdabbs can you tell what CPU is in the A4 I can't make it out?

Jdabbs can you tell what CPU is in the A4 I can't make it out?

The CPU (center) is covered by a pad, so it can't be ID'd. It's possible that the CPU has changed, but I think that's unlikely. D-Link often makes PCB changes and radio swaps, but leaves the CPU alone (unlike Linksys). There may eventually be a migration from the Ubicom 5k to 7k series, but I'd expect D-Link to have a product debut with a 7k series processor first before making that change.

D-Link also uses their revision scheme to denote the significance of changes. I'd expect a typical A2->A3 update to be somewhat minor, like cost-cutting PCB changes or new radio adoption. An A2->B1 update is a redesign, which may warrant additional scrutiny.

The CPU (center) is covered by a pad, so it can't be ID'd. It's possible that the CPU has changed, but I think that's unlikely. D-Link often makes PCB changes and radio swaps, but leaves the CPU alone (unlike Linksys). There may eventually be a migration from the Ubicom 5k to 7k series, but I'd expect D-Link to have a product debut with a 7k series processor first before making that change.

D-Link also uses their revision scheme to denote the significance of changes. I'd expect a typical A2->A3 update to be somewhat minor, like cost-cutting PCB changes or new radio adoption. An A2->B1 update is a redesign, which may warrant additional scrutiny.

Well there is DIR-655 B1 in the Asia market few months back. Seems to a lot of this processor seems to be popular Ubicom IP5090U L1 Cache 16Kb-Instructions Cache + 8Kb- Data Cache CPU 32-bit @ 276MHz. 192KB SDRAM On Chip ...

http://www.ubicom.com/images/processors/ip7000/ip7k_benchmark.jpg

Well there is DIR-655 B1 in the Asia market few months back. Seems to a lot of this processor seems to be popular Ubicom IP5090U L1 Cache 16Kb-Instructions Cache + 8Kb- Data Cache CPU 32-bit @ 276MHz. 192KB SDRAM On Chip ...

But the Ubicom StreamEngine 5160 is quite fast it's also used in Trendnet TEW-652BRP as well DIR-655

http://www.ubicom.com/images/processors/ip7000/ip7k_benchmark.jpg

I wasn't aware that D-Link sells gimped versions of their products for the international market--that's definitely something to consider when encountering a deal that sounds too good to be true.

I wasn't aware that D-Link sells gimped versions of their products for the international market--that's definitely something to consider when encountering a deal that sounds too good to be true.

I tried to go back to sd and tw sites to see more info on B1 hardware and all I could find was A4. So if they pulled it or what? I did make a mention of this on Singapore forum site.

The CPU (center) is covered by a pad, so it can't be ID'd. It's possible that the CPU has changed, but I think that's unlikely. D-Link often makes PCB changes and radio swaps, but leaves the CPU alone (unlike Linksys).

Still ... it would be nice if someone, somewhere who has a DIR-655 rev A4 would open it up and take a look at the CPU and confirm that nothing has changed.

I got the impression there was a lot of anecdotal whining about problems with the A4 revision in customer "reviews". The complaint seems to be that "It's not the same router!"

Can't really infer anything from that, of course. But since I'm considering buying somebody's wireless router in the relatively near future I'm curious as to whether what I might be buying might be significantly different from what was reviewed here a 1 1/2 years ago.

Oh, well. Ultimately it's always ya pays yur moneys 'n ya takes yur chances. :rolleyes: ;)

-irrational john

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!