What's new

Features: TOR support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Igor

Regular Contributor
"TOR support, individual client control" - What does it mean? How to use it?

Sorry for the stupid question.

Look at the Tor page on the router's webui, it will become obvious.

Basically, it lets you chose with computer gets routed through the Tor network.

Starting with 380.64, all TCP traffic will be routed through Tor, not just web traffic. The rest (like UDP and ICMP) will be dropped.

Ok, starting with 380.64 - TCP only.

Do you plan to add a rezolving .onion names?
Will the current TCP firewall settings affect the VPN?

When TOR is your DNS, it automatically resolves the .onion domains too, which resolve to the 10.192.0.0/10 private address space and are routed appropriately through the TOR network.

I also run a VPN client on my laptop, and it routes the VPN connection through the TOR network.

If you run a VPN client on the router, for other users, I can't say because I haven't tried that.

Last edited:
By default, Firefox blocks .onion domains. How to fix it:
Firefox -> about:config -> network.dns.blockDotOnion=false

Otherwise, Firefox display, "Server not found", when browsing .onion domain.

Example
http://www.uj3wazyk5u4hnvtk.onion/

Ok, starting with 380.64 - TCP only.

Will the current TCP firewall settings affect the VPN?

No. I don't do any development around the Tor functionality, the code in place was either developed by Asus or by contributors. All I did was debug the unfinished Asus implementation, and enabled it.

Starting with 380.64, all TCP traffic will be routed through Tor, not just web traffic. The rest (like UDP and ICMP) will be dropped.

If this is still the case, does this. Mean bit torrent traffic won't work? I think it uses some UDP

If this is still the case, does this. Mean bit torrent traffic won't work? I think it uses some UDP

Probably unchanged, as I haven't touched the Tor code in a very long time.

Yes, torrent uses UDP among other things. Anyway you shouldn't be using Tor for torrenting, it wasn't designed for this.

Thank you for your speedy reply. So speedy that I didn’t get a chance to revoke my question ;-). After a little more research I decided to setup a client VPN using freevpn.me. I really like how I can route only my media tank through the tunnel and can block if the tunnel drops. I presume that’s your code (applauds loudly).

Oh. I just realized. After leaving the VPN client turned off on the router for an hour or so, I went back into my torrent client and noticed it had continued to download. Oops. I’ll have to be mindful of that.