What's new

Few important questions for RT-N66U router bought aorund 10 months ago..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NetorkinghelpSan

Occasional Visitor
I use latest Merlin software/firmware (since bought) and having some issues since bought this router.

I am able to connect all wireless devices properly, until after 00:00 AM when it starts giving problems.
Any minute after 00:00 AM at night, the router will not connect to wireless devices or vice-versa, the PC/ethernet connectivity has no issues. Happens atleast twice/thrice a week.

The 3 antennas on back of this router have loosened.. I just falls horizontally even if touched slightly.. thanks to my ISP guy who tried to play with router in my absence.. How can i fix this ?

Do i need both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz in home ? At present both are enabled in a 3000 sq.ft apartment (square shaped, router is on one extreme corner and all devices should access from any corner of square (which are covered with brick walls etc.)
Attaching a small image for reference.

Some devices wont connect to wifi internet (I guess there are wifi issues in those devices), those connect well when I am near to router, but wont get connected when I am sitting in PC2 room and doors closed.
2 latest bought phones (Nokia X and Note 3 connects properly even if doors are closed.), is there some solution to this.

What is best way to restrict internet access to some devices ?
Parental control or block the device MAC ID or something better ?

The SSID changes automatically it happened nearly 10th time since last time I bought this device.
If set the same to custom setting it changes itself to admin.

I used the router @ home for internet access to 3 PCs at present and some mobile devices + a tablet + PS3 (using wifi service only of router).. What other great features am i missing which I should explore/start using.

Are there any other custom roms/firmware I can play try on this router ?

I am unable to connect to telnet via putty on this router..

A user/member from this site forums.techarena.in helped me fix some settings on router (from my adjacent building)
Thanks to him, when my router was completely dead 2 months ago after installing latest merlin software.

Thanks again.

forgot to upload the image in above question.

Attachments

• room.JPG
    room.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 332
My advice is to download and flash the latest Merlin firmware. After you do that, you're going to need to reset the router to factory defaults. Don't restore a saved settings backup. Reconfigure from scratch. Make sure the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz have unique SSIDs. Make sure you give the router a strong admin password and also strong wpa2 passwords. Try to use as many of the default settings as possible.

Those are some really strange issues that you're having. I've read a lot of posts on this forum, and you might have won a strangest issues award.

Edit: I've got a 3800 square feet home and don't have any problems. As I type this, I'm actually outside about 10 feet from the side of the house. I'm at the fringe of the 5 ghz range, so I'm using 2.4. Ghz and its fluctuating between 1-2 bars on iPad. Telnet ? Well, enable telnet.

As far as the antennas go, one of mine has been that way (loose) since day one on RT-N66U. I don't have any reason to touch or bump the antenna so it stays where it's at in the correct position. Review your online PDF user manual for the recommended antenna position(s).

Move the router to a central location if possible or if not possible, explore a powerline (home plug ) solution.

Last edited:
The 3 antennas on back of this router have loosened.. I just falls horizontally even if touched slightly.. thanks to my ISP guy who tried to play with router in my absence.. How can i fix this ?
At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried tightening the connectors. They're just screw-on connectors but you have to hold the antenna in the position you want before you tighten it. It should then stay in place. If you subsequently rotate the antenna it tends to loosen up really easily (and go floppy).

:mad::confused: tried all, but problem starts arising exactly after 00:01 AM..
Now its 1:15 AM and still having issues with WIFI, my desktop works fine :eek:

At present none of (2 mobile phones + 1 tablet + 1 PS3) are able to connect, my brother in another room is able to connect his Note 3 properly on wifi though..

=

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!