What's new

Few questions regarding Wireless Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jbennett360

Regular Contributor
HI all.

I have an AC86u running the latest version of the Merlin Firmware. I have from that a cabled connection that runs outside the house into a room upstairs at the back of the house.

Cable from that box to a switch, where i have a number of wired devices that all achieve the max speed. (420Mb down and 35up)

I have a TPLINK RE360 that's working as an access point, this is connected to the switch in the room upstairs and only has the 5Ghz channel enabled. (It allows me to have devices upstairs connected via 5Ghz, to achieve faster throughput etc)

My S10e when sat a few feet away can achieve around the 330/35 mark, or 180/35 when the VPN (Adguard) is enabled.

I've recently bought myself a Lenovo S730 laptop which has the AC9260 chip inside. Granted neither the AC86u or the RE360 will have 160mhz enabled, so i can't expect full whack.

What sort of speeds should i be seeing from it? When i'm sat roughly 2/3 feet away at the most?

Both the RE360 and the AC9260 have two antennas so the maximum possible link speed would be 866Mbps. So in practical terms you should expect download speeds of about 350 to 400 Mbps from your 420Mbps feed. Assuming there is absolutely no other traffic on the network at the time of the test.

You're going to be limited by the device(s) with the least amount of spatial streams, in this case the AC9260 and/or RE360, both of which have 2x2 5Ghz radios. Maximum PHY link rate for 2x2 in 5Ghz is 867 Mb/s, but in reality it's going to be more like half to two thirds of that, due to TCP/IP overhead, so real-world measured throughput will be about 375 to maybe 425 Mb/s absolute maximum, but more than likely below 400. Also putting the laptop 2-3 feet away may actually not provide enough antenna decorrelation to link at maximum PHY rate. The sweet spot may be slightly further away - you'll have to test and see.

For further guidance, I highly recommend reading through this excellent Duckware article, so you can get better at planning for and calculating performance on your own.

You're going to be limited by the device(s) with the least amount of spatial streams, in this case the AC9260 and/or RE360, both of which have 2x2 5Ghz radios. Maximum PHY link rate for 2x2 in 5Ghz is 867 Mb/s, but in reality it's going to be more like half to two thirds of that, due to TCP/IP overhead, so real-world measured throughput will be about 375 to maybe 425 Mb/s absolute maximum, but more than likely below 400. Also putting the laptop 2-3 feet away may actually not provide enough antenna decorrelation to link at maximum PHY rate. The sweet spot may be slightly further away - you'll have to test and see.

For further guidance, I highly recommend reading through this excellent Duckware article, so you can get better at planning for and calculating performance on your own.

Thanks for all the replies. Will have a look at booting it up this afternoon and see what sort of speeds we're looking at.

Will report back once I've had a look

This link is excellent! Even if you don’t understand all the technicalities of this writeup, you will get the 30K-foot overall view of just where and why slowdowns occur and how you might make adjustments to accommodate. Thanks for the link!

Any advice on Wi-Fi channels on 5ghz?

The RE360 was set at default which was kicking out Channel 36. I have Sky Q, and that creates its own mesh network i think to connect to the other boxes and that seems to be using Channel 36 too.

Wifi Analyzer Android App recommended using Channel 100. I've changed the RE360 to use Channel 100.

On the laptop the speed (PHY) seems to be bouncing around (325/390/520/650/866.7) Assuming this could be down to power saving, as i'm currently running battery power?

Edit:

Applying everything above gave mixed speeds 150-300. The one thing i have done is, i use Adguard Desktop application. I've gone into the network settings in there and un-ticked 'Use WFP Network Driver' then rebooted.

Speedtest app from the MS store gave me a throughput of 390/37

Think i may have cracked it.

Last edited:
Any advice on Wi-Fi channels on 5ghz?

The RE360 was set at default which was kicking out Channel 36. I have Sky Q, and that creates its own mesh network i think to connect to the other boxes and that seems to be using Channel 36 too.

Wifi Analyzer Android App recommended using Channel 100. I've changed the RE360 to use Channel 100.

On the laptop the speed (PHY) seems to be bouncing around (325/390/520/650/866.7) Assuming this could be down to power saving, as i'm currently running battery power?

Edit:

Applying everything above gave mixed speeds 150-300. The one thing i have done is, i use Adguard Desktop application. I've gone into the network settings in there and un-ticked 'Use WFP Network Driver' then rebooted.

Speedtest app from the MS store gave me a throughput of 390/37

Think i may have cracked it.

Look in the document under Transmit Power. It offers some advice on channels.