What's new

FIOS goes down, cant ping IP addresses but can ping own WAN IP.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slvrscoobie

Regular Contributor
Ive got FIOS and recently starting having internet disconnection issues.
The internet will go down, no pages comes up, I cant ping google, 1.1.1.1, or even the IP of the Verizon DNS servers.
I can ping my ONT but nothing else outside my network.
During this time my router (Asus AC3100 w/ Merlin) says its connected. but nothing will connect. Wifi works, I can access local pages, router admin page, etc.
as soon as I renew the Routers WAN DHCP the network comes back and works perfectly.
Fios says its a problem with my router ive had this router working great here for 5 years. I wonder if the cat 5 cable thats running outside has degraded and now im getting random outages because of the wire causing errors on the ONT
I did have a couple of 'Feb 8 09:41:37 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" not sure if its related but that was basically when the internet went down this morning. could have been maybe a minute or two earlier than that though, so Im not sure if thats a cause or symptom

Is your router ( and for that matter, the ONT) on a UPS ?
If you can ping the ONT, i would think it is getting past your router as that is on the WAN side of the router.

have you tried a factory reset of the router followed by base configuration only of the router ?
Which firmware version ?

if you have a spare gigabit unmanaged switch, try placing it between the wan port and the cable from the ont.

are the dropouts random or at particular time of day, when it rains, etc ?

any physical changes with or around the router from before the dropouts ?

does the wan address come back the same each time ?

Last edited:
Ive got FIOS and recently starting having internet disconnection issues.
The internet will go down, no pages comes up, I cant ping google, 1.1.1.1, or even the IP of the Verizon DNS servers.
I can ping my ONT but nothing else outside my network.
During this time my router (Asus AC3100 w/ Merlin) says its connected. but nothing will connect. Wifi works, I can access local pages, router admin page, etc.
as soon as I renew the Routers WAN DHCP the network comes back and works perfectly.
Fios says its a problem with my router ive had this router working great here for 5 years. I wonder if the cat 5 cable thats running outside has degraded and now im getting random outages because of the wire causing errors on the ONT
I did have a couple of 'Feb 8 09:41:37 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" not sure if its related but that was basically when the internet went down this morning. could have been maybe a minute or two earlier than that though, so Im not sure if thats a cause or symptom

Are you using 386.xx firmware and Guest Network 1? If so there is a bug with FIOS related to that. Move to Guest Network 2. A full reset of the router and upgrade to the latest firmware is a good idea too.