What's new

Fios Quantum G3100 and ASUS RT-AX88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

999cm999

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have a Fios Quantum G3100 and ASUS RT-AX88u.

I gave my ASUS a static IP of 192.168.1.2 and the Fios Router is 192.168.1.1.

I have the Ethernet cable from my ONT going to the WAN ASUS port.

Then I have another ethernet cable from a LAN port on the ASUS that goes to the WAN port on the Fios router.

So it goes like this:: [ONT] --> [ASUS(WAN)] --> [ASUS(LAN)] --> [Fios Quantum(WAN)]

I have rebooted both routers multiple times.

I have a PC connected via ethernet cable to the ASUS, but it never gets internet.

And I can never connect to the ASUS GUI on 192.168.1.2.

I've tried plugging an ethernet cable from my Windows PC directly into an ASUS LAN port, but that didn't work. So I tried plugging it into a Fios Quantum LAN port, but that didn't work.

Now if I take the ethernet cable from the ONT and plug it directly into the Fios router(WAN) and then take the ethernet cable from my PC and move it from the ASUS to the Fios router(LAN), my PC does get internet, but I still can't access the ASUS GUI.

I've tried rebooting multiple times, tried multiple network cables, but to no avail.

My end goal is to have the ASUS handle both the physical ethernet network and the WiFi network and just have the Fios router to keep my DVR, guide, TV, etc happy.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

thanks!

Hi,

I have a Fios Quantum G3100 and ASUS RT-AX88u.

I gave my ASUS a static IP of 192.168.1.2 and the Fios Router is 192.168.1.1.

I have the Ethernet cable from my ONT going to the WAN ASUS port.

Then I have another ethernet cable from a LAN port on the ASUS that goes to the WAN port on the Fios router.

So it goes like this:: [ONT] --> [ASUS(WAN)] --> [ASUS(LAN)] --> [Fios Quantum(WAN)]

I have rebooted both routers multiple times.

I have a PC connected via ethernet cable to the ASUS, but it never gets internet.

And I can never connect to the ASUS GUI on 192.168.1.2.

I've tried plugging an ethernet cable from my Windows PC directly into an ASUS LAN port, but that didn't work. So I tried plugging it into a Fios Quantum LAN port, but that didn't work.

Now if I take the ethernet cable from the ONT and plug it directly into the Fios router(WAN) and then take the ethernet cable from my PC and move it from the ASUS to the Fios router(LAN), my PC does get internet, but I still can't access the ASUS GUI.

I've tried rebooting multiple times, tried multiple network cables, but to no avail.

My end goal is to have the ASUS handle both the physical ethernet network and the WiFi network and just have the Fios router to keep my DVR, guide, TV, etc happy.

thanks!

If you have home phone, setting it up that way will interfere with on-screen caller ID, unless you figure out which ports to forward in the asus to the Verizon router and even then it is hit or miss. It will also stop your set top boxes from getting firmware updates. I think there are one or two other things it messes up too. I've set a few people up with similar on FIOS, you just want to plug the FIOS router WAN directly into the ONT, then hang the Asus WAN port off one of the G3100 LAN ports. Disable wifi in the G3100. The G3100 is perfectly capable of routing plenty of traffic and handling lots of sessions.

The FIOS router uses 192.168.1.0/24 for the LAN by default and your asus should use 192.168.50.0.24 so just leave them at their defaults. You can leave DHCP enabled on both in this setup and will be able to access the GUI of both with nothing extra needed.

If you do port forwarding or gaming that requires ports to be opened inbound, you can put the Asus into the DMZ of the G3100, or just disable NAT on the Asus alltogether (requires some static routes to be added) but that shouldn't be necessary typically.

One catch with FIOS is when you change the connected device you need to release the WAN IP lease. If you forget to do that, I believe doing a "reset" from their app will do it. Or you have to wait 2 hours for the lease to expire before another device will work.

Why would you think that putting some other gear between the ONT and Verizon's router is a good idea? You can be completely certain that if you call up Verizon's tech support and ask them about that, they'll say it's unsupported. The G3100 is probably not configured to operate behind some other device's NAT addressing.

If you can build a satisfactory setup without using the G3100 at all, then maybe you don't care what Verizon thinks; but don't try to build a halfway measure.

FWIW, I run pretty much the setup @drinkingbird suggested: ONT connects to G3100 which has its wifi turned off, then my wifi gear runs in AP not router mode behind that.

Why would you think that putting some other gear between the ONT and Verizon's router is a good idea? You can be completely certain that if you call up Verizon's tech support and ask them about that, they'll say it's unsupported. The G3100 is probably not configured to operate behind some other device's NAT addressing.

If you can build a satisfactory setup without using the G3100 at all, then maybe you don't care what Verizon thinks; but don't try to build a halfway measure.

FWIW, I run pretty much the setup @drinkingbird suggested: ONT connects to G3100 which has its wifi turned off, then my wifi gear runs in AP not router mode behind that.

I typically do AP mode on the router behind the G3100 or G1100 but I'm assuming OP wanted to use features of the Asus (but probably shouldn't assume that). Usually when I set people up I just tell them to get a TP-Link or other inexpensive router to use as an AP. Wired devices can plug into either device at that point, doesn't matter. If you are gig or less, get a used G1100 for cheap and don't pay the rental fee.

@999cm999 if you don't need parental controls, QOS, etc then AP mode on the Asus is the way to go, with the verizon router doing the routing. You lose a lot of the "features" but it simplifies things a bit. But if you want to use the features in the Asus or just want 2 layers of firewall protection, running the Asus in router mode is not going to cause any noticeable difference for the majority of people.

My FIOS is internet only so my Asus is plugged directly into the ONT since I don't need any of their TV or phone features. It used to be common to put the FIOS router in bridge mode and/or have it behind your own router for TV features only, but they are much more reliant on port forwarding rules hidden in the Verizon router for lots of features so that is not the way to go anymore (even back then it was problematic to get working right). Now that their routers have plenty of routing and memory capacity (an issue with the older ones before the G1100) it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I typically do AP mode on the router behind the G3100 or G1100 but I'm assuming OP wanted to use features of the Asus (but probably shouldn't assume that). Usually when I set people up I just tell them to get a TP-Link or other inexpensive router to use as an AP. Wired devices can plug into either device at that point, doesn't matter. If you are gig or less, get a used G1100 for cheap and don't pay the rental fee.

@999cm999 if you don't need parental controls, QOS, etc then AP mode on the Asus is the way to go, with the verizon router doing the routing. You lose a lot of the "features" but it simplifies things a bit. But if you want to use the features in the Asus or just want 2 layers of firewall protection, running the Asus in router mode is not going to cause any noticeable difference for the majority of people.

My FIOS is internet only so my Asus is plugged directly into the ONT since I don't need any of their TV or phone features. It used to be common to put the FIOS router in bridge mode and/or have it behind your own router for TV features only, but they are much more reliant on port forwarding rules hidden in the Verizon router for lots of features so that is not the way to go anymore (even back then it was problematic to get working right). Now that their routers have plenty of routing and memory capacity (an issue with the older ones before the G1100) it doesn't matter.

Thank you! That makes sense now. If I switch the Asus into AP mode, do I plug in an ethernet cable from the G3100 to the Asus WAN port? Or does it go into a LAN port?

Thanks!

Thank you! That makes sense now. If I switch the Asus into AP mode, do I plug in an ethernet cable from the G3100 to the Asus WAN port? Or does it go into a LAN port?

Thanks!

Technically in AP mode it doesn't matter, though some have reported certain models of router have less throughput on the WAN port. If you don't need all the LAN ports, use one of those to be safe, but probably fine either way.

Factory reset both before starting so you are on a clean slate. If the FIOS router doesn't get a WAN IP use their app to reset your connection, or leave it powered off for a couple hours.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!