What's new

Firewalla

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Got them installed on my wife's Jeep. The antennas open up automatically at 60km/h. Truckers are asking where to buy on traffic lights.
If the design doesn't win them over, then the unsubstantiated potential for gas price savings will. Every one will be too afraid of the super WiFi-mode once those antennas open up!

Last edited:
As H L Menken is alleged to have written "No One in This World Has Ever Lost Money by Underestimating the Intelligence of the Great Masses of the Plain People"

I would never buy this router just because of the way it looks. Not only ToysRUs, but under 12 section.
Ouch! Forgot about the Looks and only judged the 6000 by it's abilities to perform in my environment (and the ability to deactivate the aura lights)!

beta2 beta3 working well :)

Last edited:
A lot of port scanning, but pretty tough intrusion protection. Got hacked only once and moved from public to private network.

@RMerlin - scope of this thread exceeds the AsusWRT, wonder if we should move it over to the router sub-forum...

There is no real way to run Firewalla behind a wireless router. You would need Vlans and routing to route the traffic out the switch on the wireless router to Firewalla and then back in the wireless router and feed the rest of the switch and wireless with another network. So, you need to run Firewalla in front of a wireless router. Running dual firewalls can be cumbersome.

What is the best way to use Firewalla with Asuswrt-Merlin ? would you recommend disabling the Asus-Merlin firewall or perhaps running the Router in AP mode?

If you use a Firewalla Purple or Gold in router mode, run the Asus in AP mode with the latest AsusWRT firmware.

What is the best way to use Firewalla with Asuswrt-Merlin ? would you recommend disabling the Asus-Merlin firewall or perhaps running the Router in AP mode?
So its been a while since I was on this site. I'm still using Firewalla Purple and happy with it. So I have my Firewalla connected to my Frontier modem upstream and downstream to a smart switch. From the smart switch I have two APs attached: One my Asus AX88U (configured AP mode) and the other my Netgear wifi AP WAX620. The later Netgear is VLAN capable while Asus is not (and I have 2 VLANs so far on it for Private discrete networking and Guest). The Asus AX88U has an AX68U in mesh mode on other side of house. The Asus APs are for IoTs, video and security cameras in different groups on Firewalla. As router Firewalla Purple allows 5 VLANs and a separate wifi discrete network as well. So to answer your question only the Firewalla is the hardware firewall and router I use. I do use Nordvpn in Nordlynx mode on computers but rely upon Nordvpn through Firewallas guest network (and server network) in openvpn to protect everything passing through WAN. The primary reason I rely upon Firewalla is the ability to see every client and network as well as the ability to block activity that occurs. Firewalla does send notices as clients upload and download anything. I'm sorry to say my experience with Asus is as a "blackbox" relying upon an outside agent to protect the user, while not knowing or being transparent about what that agent was doing or blocking. Since I am not as sophisticated as most on this forum I need more help and transparency.

So its been a while since I was on this site. I'm still using Firewalla Purple and happy with it. So I have my Firewalla connected to my Frontier modem upstream and downstream to a smart switch. From the smart switch I have two APs attached: One my Asus AX88U (configured AP mode) and the other my Netgear wifi AP WAX620. The later Netgear is VLAN capable while Asus is not (and I have 2 VLANs so far on it for Private discrete networking and Guest). The Asus AX88U has an AX68U in mesh mode on other side of house. The Asus APs are for IoTs, video and security cameras in different groups on Firewalla. As router Firewalla Purple allows 5 VLANs and a separate wifi discrete network as well. So to answer your question only the Firewalla is the hardware firewall and router I use. I do use Nordvpn in Nordlynx mode on computers but rely upon Nordvpn through Firewallas guest network (and server network) in openvpn to protect everything passing through WAN. The primary reason I rely upon Firewalla is the ability to see every client and network as well as the ability to block activity that occurs. Firewalla does send notices as clients upload and download anything. I'm sorry to say my experience with Asus is as a "blackbox" relying upon an outside agent to protect the user, while not knowing or being transparent about what that agent was doing or blocking. Since I am not as sophisticated as most on this forum I need more help and transparency.
Oh, and I have current Merlin firmware on the AX88U, but I think running it AP only helps with wifi and a few other systems (but not firewall etc). The aimesh AX68U is running current Asus firmware and not Merlin.

Last edited:
I also tried to use firewalla inline with my tenda router but can't do it. Can anyone explain to me how to do it?

I also tried to use firewalla inline with my tenda router but can't do it. Can anyone explain to me how to do it?
When you say "use firewlla inline with my tenda router" what are you referring to? My understanding is that the Tenda router can be used in "AP" mode, which is what you would most likely do since Firewalla functions best in router mode. I have my Asus and Nextgear in AP mode which enables them to just concentrate on wifi and ethernet networking, and the Firewalla does the routing and firewall activity. What I have read about Tenda from some Amazon reviews is that it functions well in AP mode.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!