What's new

[Firmware bug] Static route no working on node XT8 (wireless backhaul only)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pro_info

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,
I have just acquired a pack of 2 Asus XT8.
I have a big problem with a network configuration like this one:
0aYHPyN5EQ.png

bdvFkVBOYs.png

PC1 can access in SSH, to the web interface of Router 2 (with address 10.0.0.20 or 10.0.1.1) and VMs on the server.
But PC2 can only access at address 10.0.0.20 (web only!) but not at address 10.0.1.1 or VMs on the server.
I spent the day doing different tests and now I have to say that I can't find a solution to make this work.
At this point, you're probably thinking that static routing is not taken into account by the node, except that if I ping or traceroute 10.0.0.20 and 10.0.1.1 from PC2, the ping is successful and the traceroute too.

Do you have an idea?

Thank you very much

Edit: The error message
C:\Users\Valentin>ssh root@10.0.0.20 kex_exchange_identification: read: Connection timed out

Last edited:
When I connect a PC2 to the Node XT8 with cable, I have all the accesses, it's obviously only in wifi on the Node XT8 that it doesn't work apparently...

Last edited:
When the backhaul is in ethernet, everything works perfectly with PC2 (wired or wireless) whether I'm on the XT8 router or the node.
I come to the conclusion that it's a bug in the firmware.
I tried with firmware 3.0.0.4.386.25524, 3.0.0.4.386.25790, 9.0.0.4.386_40947. The problem is the same. Just wait and see...

Last edited:
When the backhaul is in ethernet, everything works perfectly with PC2 (wired or wireless) whether I'm on the XT8 router or the node.
I come to the conclusion that it's a bug in the firmware.
I tried with firmware 3.0.0.4.386.25524, 3.0.0.4.386.25790, 9.0.0.4.386_40947. The problem is the same. Just wait and see...

You might want to report it to Asus while waiting.

How do you assign sequential IP 10.0.0.2 to the AiMesh node? I ask because mine is assigned by the AiMesh router (192.168.1.1) DHCP server and it's never 192.168.1.2. It's currently 192.168.1.74.

Have you done a clean install of AiMesh... reset to factory defaults after installing the firmware and before configuration... and don't configure the node?

Excellent diagram!

OE

I will make a report to Asus and find an alternative operation, in the meantime, through another wifi router to receive the backhault and thus, define my node with an ethernet backhaul.
How do you assign sequential IP 10.0.0.2 to the AiMesh node?
Yes, me too it puts me addresses in .188 for the node. It is enough to assign in the DHCP of the Router XT8 a static address (10.0.0.2 in my case) to the mac address of the 5GHz-2 interface node XT8.
Have you done a clean install of AiMesh... reset to factory defaults after installing the firmware and before configuration... and don't configure the node?
Alas, yes, I made resets after each flash, but without change. Good point, the problem is constant :rolleyes:

Edit: Same problem in AP mode
Edit2: Same problem in Repeater mode...

Last edited:
I received a response from technical support who fully understood the problem.
I send them the syslog and cfg. I will keep you informed.

I received an email yesterday from the support team that seems to be responsible for the development, relayed by a member of the technical support team, asking me for some confirmations.
I hope it will be successful, they seem to have understood the problem, it is already good news.

I received an email yesterday from the support team that seems to be responsible for the development, relayed by a member of the technical support team, asking me for some confirmations.
I hope it will be successful, they seem to have understood the problem, it is already good news.
I don't suppose you found the solution to this did you? I have exactly the same issue! I've attached a quick diagram (inspired by yours!) to further explain the issue:

Capture.PNG

When connected by Wifi
PC1 is able to connect to 10.26.0.3 (pfSense firewall) without any issues. It can also PING all devices on the 172.26.0.0/16. I can;t however access any of the Web portal pages of any of the devices on the 172.26.0.0/16 subnet. I can however telnet to those servers on their relevant web portal ports!

When connected by LAN
PC1 is able to connect to everything it needs to (ping and web portals) without any issue at all.

Route table on the XT8's is as below (this does of course work as ICMP replies show!):
172.26.0.0/16 via 10.26.0.3

What I have noticed when running a WireShark on PC1 is the below:
When connected by Wifi (ignore the source IP - it's a test machine)
1641316071204.png

When connected by LAN (ignore the source IP - it's a test machine)
1641316147744.png

Seems really odd!? I have updated to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_45934-gb23bdac)

Attachments

• 1641316055142.png
    1641316055142.png
    370.1 KB · Views: 53