What's new

Firmware flashing via SSH.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is it normal that this tool is working for 25 minutes in the background and i use internet/router normally?

https://ibb.co/zbLXQg6

Becouse it seems i cant hold the "recovery mode" state of router longer than 5 seconds after reboot with mentioned steps.

#edit

omg it ended with error what a joke of a utility it is for normal upgrades xD

Is it normal that this tool is working for 25 minutes in the background and i use internet/router normally?

https://ibb.co/zbLXQg6

Becouse it seems i cant hold the "recovery mode" state of router longer than 5 seconds after reboot with mentioned steps.

#edit

omg it ended with error what a joke of a utility it is for normal upgrades xD
You do not reboot after getting the router into recovery the light has to flash slowly.

You may not be holding down the reset button long enough.

The router is turned off then i push the reset and then i turn on after i turn on it takes 5 seconds no matter if i hold rest button or not for it to back to normal. And 5 seconds is too short for this firmware restoration to upload firmware so it looks like its not designed to work if router is not truly bricked.

After 100 tries it says it succeded but when i enter web ui i have all the same settings so this tool doesnt even know what its doing xd

Did some1 with ASUS RT86U manage to update firmware using restore utility?

I watched asus website for information how to use this restoration tool and i found this :

"NOTE: This is not a firmware upgrade utility and cannot be used on a working ASUS Wireless Router. Normal firmware upgrades must be done through the web interface."

The router is turned off then i push the reset and then i turn on after i turn on it takes 5 seconds no matter if i hold rest button or not for it to back to normal. And 5 seconds is too short for this firmware restoration to upload firmware so it looks like its not designed to work if router is not truly bricked.
I think I hold more than 5 secs....try more like 15-20 secs...good luck

One thing to note about flashing over SSH: you might be writing on top of a live filesystem, so your router may crash at any moment while you are flashing. This is why I do not recommend that method. Going through the webui has the firmware generate a temporary rootfs with the important components copied to it, so it will greatly reduce the risks of such a crash (while they can still happen afterward during the reboot process).

Is there a way to update my router with my android xiaomi connected with cable to usb 3.0 port ? Becouse right now when i unplug internet from wan i lose acces to 192.168.1.1 from my phone connected to it. How do i set my android phone to acces router even offline connected only with cable to usb? I want to achive state where my phone will be treated by router like pc connected with ethernet to it. Do i need ethernet adapter for androids or usb is enough with correct settings?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need a WAN connection to update a router, just connect over the local Wifi.