What's new

Firmware recommendation N66U wifi range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

douglasl

New Around Here
HI All

I am having some random Wifi disconnect issues between my N66U and various devices: HP Probook, Mac book and especially Ipads. I would also like a bit of extra Wifi range as there are a few areas of the house where the coverage is unreliable.

I am currently not using 5Ghz as this seemed to cause even more disconnections with some of the devices. We stay in a free standing house and the 2 neighbors Wifi signals are very weak even outside my house so I do not think it is interference from them.

- I am currently running 3004276

What would a recommended firmware be for me to load?

Asus 300.4376.3657 (already downloaded and will probably try it out tonight)
or
a specific merlin build?

In my past firmware updates I have not flashed NVRAM or done a factory reset, so I will make sure to do this now.

Regards
Douglas

Firmware 3.0.0.4.276 is famous for being very stable, also wireless in this version is known to be stable with a good range on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. 5 GHz by nature has a much shorter range then 2.4 GHz.
I doubt if other firmware would fix your wireless connection issues.
Due its age 3.0.0.4.276 is also known to have a few security issues that are fixed in newer firmware.

Firmware 3.0.0.4.376.3657 is the latest for all regions (there is one newer for Japan only).
It does run well for me and many others.
See also the discussion here: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=21047
I recommend the upgrade, at least to have the security issues fixed and to enjoy a few enhancements.

After upgrading to 3.0.0.4.376.3657 you MUST reset the router:
  1. Power up the router.
  2. Hold the reset button pressed more than 5 seconds.
  3. Access the router at the default IP address 192.168.1.1 and admin/admin
  4. Manual configure the router again (do NOT load a firmware backup file).
  5. Delete the wireless connection profiles on your computers and connect again.

Last edited: