What's new

firmware update via usb stick anecdote

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dazedandlost

Regular Contributor
I wasn’t going to post this since in hindsight it seems so obviously stupid and trivial. But. From time to time I see other newbies, like myself, floundering, like myself, and I thought that maybe if we shared stupidities it might help avoid repeating and propagating them. (Speaking for myself, it also helps me stay humble.:)) So:

I think I may have found a new (to me, anyway) way to foul up. Maybe even nearly catastrophic, I dunno.

My new ax86u arrived a while ago. I figured I would set it up off-line first and, of course, no way it would #ever# run without Merlin’s firmware. I connected it to a laptop that had no wan connection but I had a copy of the right firmware, on another machine, which I carefully copied to a stick. I stuck the stick into the laptop and hit the go button.

Well, that expensive router just sat there furiously blinking its leds. The gui never did get to the “updating firmware” dialog. Six hours or maybe more later, I gave up and punched the big red button. But the router refused to reboot. Several times. After trying several different things. Panic set in and I figured I had just presented myself with a brand new brick. I turned it off and walked away.

The happy ending is that after sitting power off for a day or so, the router took the firmware upgrade (from the laptop's hard drive) as slick as a whistle and I avoided the necessity of inventing an explanation for yet another 1d10t error.

My unceasing quest to become the best idiot in my little corner of the world is progressing well.

Sorry I'm replying to a very old post, but I have an issue where doing something like this might actually be useful.

Are you saying that you managed to flash firmware to an AX86U via its USB port? I have a bricked XT8 that seems functional based on LED activity, except it's inaccessible via wireless or Ethernet, including when you try to flash new firmware to it via rescue mode (though it enters rescue mode fine). But the USB port seems to be responsive, so I was wondering if it would be possible to flash firmware to it via the USB port and that's how I found your post. Don't know if anyone will see this... worth a shot.