What's new

firmware updates AC-68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spikemorton

New Around Here
Am I missing something? Today I tried to upgrade my Merlin firmware (RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_2.trx) to the newest Asus firmware today.(FW_RT_AC68U_30043783813.trx).
I reset the router and then went to Administration loaded Asus firmware.
When I logged back in, it still showed Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_2.trx Then I tried Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5.trx it upgraded easily. Tried Asus again, it went trough its process and when I logged in, still latest Merlin version.

Am I missing something? Today I tried to upgrade my Merlin firmware (RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_2.trx) to the newest Asus firmware today.(FW_RT_AC68U_30043783813.trx).
I reset the router and then went to Administration loaded Asus firmware.
When I logged back in, it still showed Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_2.trx Then I tried Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5.trx it upgraded easily. Tried Asus again, it went trough its process and when I logged in, still latest Merlin version.

Asus's 378 firmware is larger than the older 376 ones, so they require a bootloader upgrade to bump the partition size to 64 MB. You will have to first update to 376_3626 which will automatically upgrade the bootloader, and after that you will be able to update to 378_xxxx.

Quote:
Asus's 378 firmware is larger than the older 376 ones, so they require a bootloader upgrade to bump the partition size to 64 MB. You will have to first update to 376_3626 which will automatically upgrade the bootloader, and after that you will be able to update to 378_xxxx.

So... will I have problems switching back and forth between Merlin & Asus firmware? Will Merlin change the bootloader backward from 64 MB?

Quote:

So... will I have problems switching back and forth between Merlin & Asus firmware? Will Merlin change the bootloader backward from 64 MB?

The upgraded bootloader is backward compatible, so once upgraded, you won't have any problem flashing any firmware, older or newer.

I'm having the same problem switching Firmware back to Asus...

RMerlin, thanks so much for explaining the solutions to this problem in your previous post. I will stay with your Firmware because my RT-AC68U has always been stable with your fixes. I just wanted to temporarily test ASUS' latest fixes to see how they are doing, but was baffled after the FW update when it still showed your FW. I will install the Asus FW you recommended that increases the Bootloader size. I'll do this just to play around, but will definitely stick with your FW. How much longer do you plan to do development on FW fixes?
Cheers!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!