What's new

Firmware upgrade 376.47 to?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wirlath

New Around Here
Running 376.47 on asus RT-N66U, I want to keep all my settings and not have to a factory reset, do I need to take one upgrade at the time and go through the whole list to avoid factory reset?

...not have to a factory reset, do I need to take one upgrade at the time and go through the whole list to avoid factory reset?
Any reason not to use John's User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility to save and restore your user settings after the upgrade and factory reset? :rolleyes:

I have used it many times with great success when I upgraded and factory rested my routers! :D

Running 376.47 on asus RT-N66U, I want to keep all my settings and not have to a factory reset, do I need to take one upgrade at the time and go through the whole list to avoid factory reset?

I don't believe that incremental update will save you from doing factory reset. You are going to make too big version jump. It is much better to do the upgrade only once, do a factory reset and manually enter your configuration. My advice is to save all relevant web pages or make a screenshots of them and then use them as a reference for manual entering the config. I did it just a week ago. Of course, if you have 50+ devices in your LAN this is not very pleasant job :)

Ok guys, so I can just go with the latest update then do a factory reset and it'll be good to go (I need to add the settings and stuff I had before)
So it'll be 376.47 to RT-N66U_380.64_0

Either use John's tool or re-enter your stuff manually. Do not restore from backup.

Ok guys, so I can just go with the latest update then do a factory reset and it'll be good to go (I need to add the settings and stuff I had before)
So it'll be 376.47 to RT-N66U_380.64_0

A week ago I did version jump from 378.52 to 380.64 with the same router as yours. Then did factory reset and manually entered the settings. No issues so far, except the 5 GHz Wi-Fi, the solution about you may find here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-n66u-5ghz-not-in-range.36647/

On a RT-N66U, I just upgraded from 376.47_0 to 380.67_0.

- Ran Save/Restore Utility onto an USB stick.
- Upgraded to 380.67_0
- Got the exclamation mark with "Your router is running low on free NVRAM, which might affect its stability. Review nvram-intensive settings such as OpenVPN, or consider doing a factory default reset during reconfiguring."
- Restored to Factory default

Read John's QuickStart.txt file in the Save/Restore Utility - it tells you exactly what you need to do.

Now, according to Merlin in this thread, OpenVPN keys and certificates have been moved from nvram to the jffs partition.
- So, I pulled out vim and # commented out lines pertaining to OpenVPN keys and certificates in the nvram-restore-yyyymmdd... shell script.
- Manually ran ./nvram-restore-yyyymmdd... shell script
- Reboot

Voila - exclamation mark is gone.

(Note that I've skipped mentioning the obvious resetting of IP addresses as we jumped back and forth between factory setting and the setting we want.)
Many thanks to John9527, for an extremely useful utility