What's new

Firmware Version:384.15 AC88 Hidden mode Wifi Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amplatfus

Hi,

After trial and error I discovered that afer flash 384.15 on AC88 I was loosing speed on wireless.
I did a factory reset after flash. I am coming from 380 :)
Tried several times. All are working fine until I hide the Wifi. And one more thing: after unhide it, the speed remain the same, limited I mean. Now for instance I have stabile 173/173 Mbps on 5 Ghz, -63dBm, _ST_AU_ Flags.

I know that some option are limited like AiMesh. But I am wondering why speed on Wifi is limited? And why is remain limited even after unhide?

Please, do you have any advice?

Thank you,
amplatfus

Why are you hiding your SSID? Nobody is fooled by that anymore. :)

Thank you for replys, :) yes I do.
All I did after flash firmware, and factory reset, was hide the Widi. After this, limitation appeared. And was still present after unhide.
Only fix was factory reset again.

I do now know that to try next without forget about hide :)

Thank you again,
amplatfus

Also make sure Mac filtering is shut off too while we’re at it!
Thanks, but in older 380.70 all are fine. I have MAC filtering and Wifi hidden.
10q

I really don't know why MAC filtering and hiding SSID are still options since they are both pretty much useless as far as tightening router security goes.

Thanks, but in older 380.70 all are fine. I have MAC filtering and Wifi hidden.
10q

But, but... 384.15_0 is another world away from 380.70. :)

This is why I recommend not only a manual config (meaning, not importing a saved config file), but also a minimal config too (to effectively shed those old settings we may be hanging on to that are no longer applicable or pertinent in today's routing/WiFi world). ;)

That is like trying to use punch-cards in today's laptops, with equally disappointing results. :D

Thanks as always. Please, what is punch-cards?

PS: (in my minimal config, hide wifi and mac filtering had to be set).
Please any chance for this to be fixed in the future? Do you know if are related to ASUS source code, or in @RMerlin area?

Best regards,
amplatfus

Hiding your WiFi does NOTHING in todays world. So just forget about doing that it's useless. :rolleyes:
Thank you, but what you advice? I understand no hidden wifi, no MAC filter, but please let me know what is instead?

BR,
amplatfus

@amplatfus here is a punch card overview. :)

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/p/punccard.htm

On the topic of your posts, the thing we're trying to get you to understand is that hiding SSIDs and mac filtering is from yesteryear. Just like using WPS and PPTP are obsolete and using them is detrimental to the security of your network too. You simply drop using them.

Have a password for that SSID that is 16 characters long and not a word/phrase or other easily recognized sequences.

Don't let any guests use your main network. Don't share any of your main passwords with children. :)

Made you look old :)

However, I remember when punch cards were a huge step forward from the punch tape, or fill-in-with-a-pencil cards.

Kids these days barely know what a CD is anymore, let alone an audio cassette tape, VHS, betamax, or vinyl (other than it resurfacing as retro).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!