What's new

Fix This Bug Pls (Big Size File Copy And The Memory Getting Full) ver 386.4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asusrouterlover

Regular Contributor
Hi

When I Copy Big Files To My Usb Attach In Router RT-AX88U The Ram measurement get till 97% :eek::eek::eek:

To Fix The Problem:
I need to restart The ((Router Gui Interface ))To Free Up The Memory!!

thanks

Last edited:
Hi

When I Copy Big Files To My Usb Attach In Router The Ram measurement get till 97% :eek::eek::eek:

thanks
Thats normal when transfer files. No need to reboot after.

LOL. (Sorry, not laughing at you, I'm laughing that this GUI confusion has come up again so rapidly).

See discussion here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88u-high-ram-usage-maybe.76650/

The "RAM usage" is just it caching the files. The most recent versions of the software "fix" the problem by throwing away the cache when you log in so you can't see it. :rolleyes:

There's a PR open on Merlin's repository to fix this more sensibly - don't show memory used for caches in the simple memory meter. (As most operating systems like Windows don't).

Hi

When I Copy Big Files To My Usb Attach In Router RT-AX88U The Ram measurement get till 97% :eek::eek::eek:

To Fix The Problem:
Unused Memory is bad (useless), only used memory is good memory!!! :cool:

Linux is managing memory very good - so let the operating system do the job! As long as you do not get log entries with out of memory, things are perfectly fine with used memory. :D

As long as you do not get log entries with out of memory, things are perfectly fine with used memory. :D

Once that starts happening, it's kind of a bit late...

Wouldn't it be nice to have a memory meter that told you how close you were to that happening, rather than a basically decorative one? ;)
No need to reboot after.

Actually, just noticed the detail that the OP didn't say they rebooted - they just "restarted the router GUI interface". If that means "logged out and back in again", that would be consistent with the latest version that throws the caches away on user login, possibly just to benefit someone like the OP.

You can see this in the command line `ssh` logs:

httpd (1779): drop_caches: 1

The number of basic things people do not know yet flash third party firmware's makes my head spin.

Your RAM fills up because of SMB caching. It is a feature not a bug. (And I do not mean 'it's a feature not a big' in a joking way.)

The number of basic things people do not know yet flash third-party firmware makes my head spin.

Your RAM fills up because of SMB caching. It is a feature, not a bug. (And I do not mean 'it's a feature not a big' in a joking way.)
human search always for perfect

Your RAM fills up because of SMB caching. It is a feature not a bug. (And I do not mean 'it's a feature not a big' in a joking way.)
The behaviour's definitely a feature, but the fact the memory meter prominently displayed on the front page shows the cache is a bug. As illustrated by this thread.

It's a meter that shows nothing useful, yet is being waved in people's faces as if it does.

If the meter is low, that's fine. If it's high that's probably fine, or could be a problem. Depends whether it's just full of cache or if someones been leaking memory that can't be reclaimed.

Hence the PR to make it show actually claimed memory (like most other memory meters on the planet), so being high would actually be evidence of an impending problem.

I do have a vague sense that some like having the misleading meter there to troll users, so they can laugh at them when they get worried about it being full.

Ah yes, some also like having a rubbish GUI so they can tell people to stop being noobs and use the command line like a pro. ;)

If you like pretty GUI graphs that show the real memory breakdown, then install JackYaz's scMerlin script from AMTM. The memory graph in the script shows actually used, cached, buffers (I think), and free.