What's new

flashing origin isp routers to merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

peter s

Occasional Visitor
hi all I was seeking some advice as I used to be a BT customer with a nt666u router flashed with merlins firmware and was very happy with his firmware im now with directsave telecom and thinking of going with origin broadband in November when my contract ends as they use asus routers as there default routers they give you an asus n16 for free or you can upgrade for about 75 pound to the asus ac56u or upgrade again for 120 pound to the asus ac68u my question is which would be better or necessary for mainly gaming on a ps4 playing fps games and browsing or watching YouTube and secondly and most importantly can I upload merlins fimware on to these stock isp's asus routers I would be grateful for any help peter

hi all I was seeking some advice as I used to be a BT customer with a nt666u router flashed with merlins firmware and was very happy with his firmware im now with directsave telecom and thinking of going with origin broadband in November when my contract ends as they use asus routers as there default routers they give you an asus n16 for free or you can upgrade for about 75 pound to the asus ac56u or upgrade again for 120 pound to the asus ac68u my question is which would be better or necessary for mainly gaming on a ps4 playing fps games and browsing or watching YouTube and secondly and most importantly can I upload merlins fimware on to these stock isp's asus routers I would be grateful for any help peter
Why not buy your own? For about 80 Euros you can get an RT-AC66U_b1 which is the same as an RT-AC68U and you can flash Merlin on it.

The RT-N16 and RT-AC56U are not supported by Asus or Merlin any more as they are end-of-life products. The RT-AC68U is a reliable device (I use it) even though it's rather old now. You could probably pick one up yourself for £120 if you wait for it to go on sale. If you were to buy it through your ISP I would get them to confirm in an email that it's the standard retail model and not some sort of locked down version. If it's the later then avoid it like the plague. If it arrives and it's not a standard model then demand a refund.

You might want to consider the RT-AC86U. It costs about £150-£160. The WiFi performance will be the same but it has a much faster processor should you need to run a VPN on it.

As @bbunge says, the RT-AC66U_B1 is the RT-AC68U in a different case that is usually cheaper (£95). If you go for this model make sure you're buying the new "RT-AC66U_B1" model and not the old RT-AC66U model. Amazon UK has the old model listed incorrectly as the new one AFAICT. It looks like Amazon UK is selling the B1 model but all the text on the page is for the old obsolete model. So make sure you buy it from Amazon themselves (not the market place) and if they send you the old model return it for a refund.

Last edited:
As already mentioned, forget any scams, I mean deals, the ISP's try to push onto you. They're just making money either way and offering you old tech not matched to your needs, IMO.

The RT-AC86U or the RT-AX58U (if fastest VPN speeds are not important), and the RT-AX88U are the RMerlin routers you want to buy today for your usage. Anything else is effectively obsolete.

Keep in mind that RMerlin is on hiatus right now until 'unified' 386.xx code is released for the routers he'll continue to support into the expected future. There is a very good chance that older models like the RT-AC68U and the similarly 'old tech' RT-AC66U_B1 will get dropped by RMerlin sooner than any AX model will.

The RT-AC86U is 'special' here because being an HND router, like the two AX models above, it is much more modern and already running a modern (for Asus) kernel.

The RT-N16 and RT-AC56U are not supported by Asus or Merlin any more as they are end-of-life products. The RT-AC68U is a reliable device (I use it) even though it's rather old now. You could probably pick one up yourself for £120 if you wait for it to go on sale. If you were to buy it through your ISP I would get them to confirm in an email that it's the standard retail model and not some sort of locked down version. If it's the later then avoid it like the plague. If it arrives and it's not a standard model then demand a refund.

You might want to consider the RT-AC86U. It costs about £150-£160. The WiFi performance will be the same but it has a much faster processor should you need to run a VPN on it.

As @bbunge says, the RT-AC66U_B1 is the RT-AC68U in a different case that is usually cheaper (£95). If you go for this model make sure you're buying the new "RT-AC66U_B1" model and not the old RT-AC66U model. Amazon UK has the old model listed incorrectly as the new one AFAICT. It looks like Amazon UK is selling the B1 model but all the text on the page is for the old obsolete model. So make sure you buy it from Amazon themselves (not the market place) and if they send you the old model return it for a refund.
Thanks all for

The RT-AC86U or the RT-AX58U (if fastest VPN speeds are not important), and the RT-AX88U are the RMerlin routers you want to buy today for your usage. Anything else is effectively obsolete.
I strongly disagree with this statement. The stated usage is a single person "gaming on a ps4 playing fps games and browsing or watching YouTube". The non-slim PS4 doesn't even support 5GHz! Of course nobody can predict when a product will go end-of-life but the RT-AC66U_B1 was released around the same time as the RT-AC86U. The RT-AC66U_B1/RT-AC68U is twice as popular (going by Merlin's download stats).

@L&LD for someone who is debating whether to spend £75 or £120 telling him to buy a £300 router that he doesn't need isn't helpful.

@peter s You could try using your old RT-N66U for a while using John's fork of Merlin's firmware which is still supported. It would be superior to the RT-N16 they supply.

Last edited:
thanks all for ur advice I've been seeing on another forum that asus routers combo with modems aren't that good from asus something about the processor but I might just see if I can get a separate modem and try a asus router as I really liked merlins firmware this is the forum where the asus is getting bashed

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/f...adban-as-i-had-with-plusnet.html?fpart=3&vc=1
I've always had no problems with asus routers flashed with merlin firmware

thanks all for ur advice I've been seeing on another forum that asus routers combo with modems aren't that good from asus something about the processor but I might just see if I can get a separate modem and try a asus router as I really liked merlins firmware this is the forum where the asus is getting bashed
Merlin doesn't support routers with built-in modems. None of the routers you mentioned in your OP have modems, so what modem device will your ISP supply? It's generally advised to stick with the ISP device as the modem and use your own device for the router/WiFi.

I strongly disagree with this statement. The stated usage is a single person "gaming on a ps4 playing fps games and browsing or watching YouTube". The non-slim PS4 doesn't even support 5GHz! Of course nobody can predict when a product will go end-of-life but the RT-AC66U_B1 was released around the same time as the RT-AC86U. The RT-AC66U_B1/RT-AC68U is twice as popular (going by Merlin's download stats).

@L&LD for someone who is debating whether to spend £75 or £120 telling him to buy a £300 router that he doesn't need isn't helpful.

@peter s You could try using you old RT-N66U for a while using John's fork of Merlin's firmware which is still supported. It would be superior to the RT-N16 they supply.
Thanks for the reply I was thinking g that but when I looked on merlins firmware site the nt66u hasn't had an update since 2018 I didn't even think these routers origin are giving or even selling where that old now im really at a loss in what to do or go for

Thanks for the reply I was thinking g that but when I looked on merlins firmware site the nt66u hasn't had an update since 2018 I didn't even think these routers origin are giving or even selling where that old now im really at a loss in what to do or go for

Merlin doesn't support routers with built-in modems. None of the routers you mentioned in your OP have modems, so what modem device will your ISP supply? It's generally advised to stick with the ISP device as the modem and use your own device for the router/WiFi.
[/QUOT
Hi Colin the only modems origin support are the asus combo ones mentioned

@ColinTaylor it is okay if you disagree. :)

There is nothing wrong with my statement. Just facts.

Just because something is released recently doesn't mean it is current either.

I am not replying to a budget, that is not what was asked. I'm replying to a good match for the usage described. Connecting with 5GHz WiFi was never a requirement.

As already mentioned, forget any scams, I mean deals, the ISP's try to push onto you. They're just making money either way and offering you old tech not matched to your needs, IMO.

Keep in mind that RMerlin is on hiatus right now until 'unified' 386.xx code is released for the routers he'll continue to support into the expected future. There is a very good chance that older models like the RT-AC68U and the similarly 'old tech' RT-AC66U_B1 will get dropped by RMerlin sooner than any AX model will.

The RT-AC86U is 'special' here because being an HND router, like the two AX models above, it is much more modern and already running a modern (for Asus) kernel.
Hi L&LD how old are the ax models and the price and do they support the modem aswell and what is the merlin firmware recent thanks for your reply

Hi L&LD how old are the ax models and the price and do they support the modem aswell and what is the merlin firmware recent thanks for your reply

The RT-AX58U is the newest, the RT-AX88U older and the RT-AC86U is the oldest.

You need to search for the prices near you.

@ColinTaylor it is okay if you disagree. :)

There is nothing wrong with my statement. Just facts.
We can agree to disagree, but your statement was not "facts" it was your "opinion".

Hi Colin the only modems origin support are the asus combo ones mentioned
OK. Sorry for the confusion. You didn't state the full model numbers so we assumed you were talking about the RT- models when you were talking about the DSL- models. That's a completely different thing. I checked Origin's web site and the models are DSL-N16, DSL-N14, DSL-AC55 (not AC56U as you stated) and DSL-AC68U. Merlin doesn't make firmware for any of those models.

None of those models contain a modem.

@ColinTaylor, please correct me then. What part of the statement you quoted was opinion?

@ColinTaylor, please correct me then. What part of the statement you quoted was opinion?
All of it.

"The RT-AC86U or the RT-AX58U (if fastest VPN speeds are not important), and the RT-AX88U are the RMerlin routers you want to buy today for your usage." That is your opinion. There is no technical reason why a lower spec router would not meet his stated usage.

"Anything else is effectively obsolete." None of the devices being discussed have been announced as approaching end-of-life. So unless you have the ability to see into the future this is just speculation or opinion.

We can agree to disagree, but your statement was not "facts" it was your "opinion".

OK. Sorry for the confusion. You didn't state the full model numbers so we assumed you were talking about the RT- models when you were talking about the DSL- models. That's a completely different thing. I checked Origin's web site and the models are DSL-N16, DSL-N14, DSL-AC55 (not AC56U as you stated) and DSL-AC68U. Merlin doesn't make firmware for any of those models.

None of those models contain a modem.
Sorry for the confusion yeah it was those dsl modem routers I was asking about so are these models any good as what I saw on another forum linked above is there really not that good people were saying and if no merlin firmware then that really sucks would it be possible do you think to buy maybe a draytek modem and a decent router as I'm not that clued up as you about this again really appreciate everyone's help