What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.2.5 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I guess I should clarify where this is happening a bit more. I get this issue while streaming (utilizing my upload to Twitch). When I either have a steam download running or I use the google speed test (only when it's testing the download, the upload has no effect) the upload on my OBS stream will start acting very sporadic. Other speedtests, including speedtest.net, and other distribution platforms like Origin do not cause issues. I can even torrent and it doesn't effect the stream at all.

I have a 600/400 connection as well.

I've been using FlexQoS for a while and works great. Just switched to an AI Mesh setup with two AX58U units for better home coverage. Just noticed using Merlin's latest Beta code that I don't have the FlexQoS tab in the Main router. Can I install it on both mesh nodes (SSH and command line to each) or is it not compatible AI Mesh?

I've been using FlexQoS for a while and works great. Just switched to an AI Mesh setup with two AX58U units for better home coverage. Just noticed using Merlin's latest Beta code that I don't have the FlexQoS tab in the Main router. Can I install it on both mesh nodes (SSH and command line to each) or is it not compatible AI Mesh?
It would only need to run on the node that is the router.

I don't mean much, but reading for various forums it reads this:
Hardware acceleration can be bad for gaming.
Hard to say if that is the cause or the symptom. Ex: People with higher speeds like CTF / Hardware acceleration. Higher speeds reduce the need for QOS, though they typically don't fully eliminate it.

If you enable hardware acceleration, you don't enable the same QOS. Stuff like Cake can't keep up with massively fast connections. Tomato QOS has never been accelerated. Only FlexQOS is available as a nice hybrid on these routers. In the past even 100mbit+QOS was too heavy for most router hardware, yet was still within reach of having buffers burst-filled suddenly by large spurts of data from YouTube, Netflix, torrents, Steam downloads, etc..

So you got a mix of people that wanted full internet speed (200mbit comcast, etc.) and didn't use QOS because it slowed their connection down - but then could suffer from BufferBloat and ping spikes in games (when other services start bursty downloads - or services like dropbox hog all the upstream) - and people that do use the (older, less effective) QOS types, get pretty good results, but have their overall maximum speed fall due to lack of acceleration. Especially when there's tons of connections, and the router CPU can't keep up. That explains the stories and conflicting viewpoints. Hardware acceleration is bad, QOS is bad, QOS isn't needed over a certain speed, QOS is still needed over a certain speed, etc.

That situation is pretty logical though when you look at the internet speeds, router hardware, services used and types of complaints.

Now-a-days you just throw more hardware at it, turn on acceleration, turn on FlexQOS. Done. :) As long as you set your speed %'s low enough to allow UDP traffic some breathing room (many UDP protocols lack retransmit or throttle mechanisms and may not do well with latency volatility) then it should function as expected.

@BoostOver Apparently that router has a dual-core Broadcom BCM4708 @ 800 MHz - my RT-AC3200 has a dual-core BCM4709 @ 1000mhz. Comparable architectures, so my router is 25% faster.

I personally found that with high connection counts (torrent traffic, lots of downloads and streaming, Steam, games, web traffic, etc.), CTF being off did not allow full utilisation of my connection. I have "150/15" with Shaw Cable in BC, Canada, which is provisioned as somewhere around 180/16. I was getting a lot of dips into the 70-140 range depending on CPU load. A lot of the time my torrents were only going at 9MB/sec despite having 15MB/sec limits in qBittorrent, plus other things were not getting full speed either. (Those torrents could easily do 50MB/sec, so that's not the issue.) That's what ultimately enticed me to try FlexQOS rather than remaining on other types of QOS. That said, YMMV "Your mileage may vary" - we likely have different firmware versions and QOS types and QOS versions (since my testing was a while ago), making identical testing difficult even if you ignore that our networks and devices and use will also be different.

You'd probably just have to try it, and report back on your result - although to be useful to other people, they need to understand your network setup and use to incorporate anything into their own plans... so try to be detailed. ;)

By the way, Dave is working on integrating Cake into the next FlexQOS... you may be able to try it out sooner than you think, if he's successful!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!