What's new

FlexQoS Bufferbloat Assistance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilentStorm

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone,

1613079777977.png

Attached is bufferbloat test with FlexQoS. I've added in a gaming rule as well, and that's pretty the much the only change I've made.

I'm interested to know how I can help my upload bufferbloat in this case. This is pretty consistent with every test I've done thus far with FlexQoS. It was practically gone with CakeQoS but CakeQoS didn't help with my original issue.

What's a good starting point? I know each network is different so it's going to be different for everyone, but I just don't want to start messing with settings and causing more harm than good.

My current setup is an Arris Xb6 gateway (not in bridge mode, so yes I am double NAT) to my Asus Rog GT AC2900. To help with this Double NAT issue, I put my Router into DMZ and I open any ports that I need from the Asus Router. I get OPEN Nat.

What 'original issue' did CakeQOS fix?

The only thing you can do is keep dropping the upload value when using FlexQoS until BB disappears.

Which version of FlexQoS are you using (stable or develop)?

What firmware are you using? Precisely?

Does the XB6 give you the same (bad) results when wired directly into it?

What 'original issue' did CakeQOS fix?

The only thing you can do is keep dropping the upload value when using FlexQoS until BB disappears.

Which version of FlexQoS are you using (stable or develop)?

What firmware are you using? Precisely?

Does the XB6 give you the same (bad) results when wired directly into it?
I had a packet burst issue on a Call of Duty Warzone. It comes with CakeQoS but not with FlexQoS.

Packet burst means there's network congestion. Keep in mind this might be a game problem more than it is a CakeQoS problem because the game is poorly optimized, but at this point, whatever works, I'll use.

I installed FlexQoS through amtm, so not sure. Where can I see if it's the stable or develop version?

I believe I have the latest version of Merlin Firmware. I will double check as I'm not on my computer right now.

Xb6 is WAY worse. 1000+ ms bufferbloat for download and upload

The latest version doesn't mean anything (ever).

The latest one (right now) is the 386.2_alpha1-g18f27b0693 versions.

Test builds - OneDrive (live.com)

If you didn't enable the development version purposely in FlexQoS, you're running the stable branch.

What is your ISP, paid-for speeds?

To get the BB in check, you may need to fully bridge your modem and feed the internet directly into the Asus router instead.

Most customers can't believe how much better their 'internet' is when their ISP's modem is bridged.

I will find out what version of Merlin Firmware I'm running here shortly.

Paid for speeds are 500/20. I get those speeds with QoS off on the router no problem. I get the same speeds with QoS off through the router and without the router.

I will see what I can do about bridging. Not sure yet, requires family approval, something I do not have right now based off our current set up.

With similar 500/20 down/up speeds for my customers, I have seen 400/10 (and lower) works best for them. Like you, they're not uploading a lot, but want a low latency connection.

The issue is that at 'quiet' times, even 500/20 may be 'too low'. But when the neighbors and anyone else connected to the same leg of the ISP's network is online, 325/5 is a more realistic speed.

Wi-Fi Setup 25/2.5 d/u Report

The link above shows how much attenuation some networks need to 'behave'. Back when QoS was fresh, and @FreshJR was QoS on RMerlin powered routers. :)

The actual number doesn't matter that is inputted from my experience. What matters is the experience while using the network.

With similar 500/20 down/up speeds for my customers, I have seen 400/10 (and lower) works best for them. Like you, they're not uploading a lot, but want a low latency connection.

The issue is that at 'quiet' times, even 500/20 may be 'too low'. But when the neighbors and anyone else connected to the same leg of the ISP's network is online, 325/5 is a more realistic speed.

The link above shows how much attenuation some networks need to 'behave'. Back when QoS was fresh, and @FreshJR was QoS on RMerlin powered routers. :)

The actual number doesn't matter that is inputted from my experience. What matters is the experience while using the network.
I'll give

Thanks for this.

Would I just edit the gaming category for upload speeds or would I do it for all of them?

Don't touch the categories. You change these settings in the Adaptive QoS menu (Manual, not Automatic).

Don't touch the categories. You change these settings in the Adaptive QoS menu (Manual, not Automatic).
Ah so you're saying set the speeds to 400/10.

Got it. Will try that.

No, I didn't say that...

Experiment to see what your connection needs. :)

No, I didn't say that...

Experiment to see what your connection needs. :)
I know, sorry, getting too ahead of myself.

Repeat ten times, 'There is no such thing as a gaming router'.

There are only good routers, bad routers, and marketing. :)

Got it

Also, what is different about the development version of FlexQoS?

Is it possible to switch to it? More so to experiment around and see what it's about. This new router has me interested

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!