What's new

For the brave: Synology DSM 5-beta Announced

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For the brave, no kidding!

I stopped at updating dsm 4.? due to all the ongoing issues and regressions with every official update. It has been a couple years now that updating with the non-betas has been hit or miss for countless people, and you feel like a beta tester even though you are not using the betas.

So while it is nice they push for 5.0 now, how about weeding out all the issues with 4.x? Because 5.x again leaves some systems behinds.

I'm still on 4.1 for exactly that reason... so many reports of issues with 4.2/4.3, no chance I'm going bleeding edge with 5.x

I'm still on 4.1 for exactly that reason... so many reports of issues with 4.2/4.3, no chance I'm going bleeding edge with 5.x

On 4.3 on my DS413j and 4.2 on DS509+ (final version for that model).

Major version jumps did give me a scare or two in the past, in no hurry for 5.0.

I delayed going to 4.2 until well past the initial release. I've had no problems with it in many months of use.
I've not gone to 4.3 - no compelling new capabilities.
May go to DSM 5 a few months after release.

Last edited:
Hi,
Since I use my box lightly, I upgraded as of yesterday. So far so good. They changed GUI quite a bit. Took a while at first to navigate.
Seems like GUI response is bit faster compared to 4.3 I was on.

I bit the bullet and upgraded my DS413j with DSM 5.0 a couple of days ago.

No issues to report so far. 2-Factor authentication for the Web UI is an interesting addition.

Isn't DSM5 still in beta status?
Although, I've read a few notes that it is more mature/stable than prior incremental (4.x) betas.

2-factor authentication... what do they use? SMS to phone?

I'll wait.

Isn't DSM5 still in beta status?
Although, I've read a few notes that it is more mature/stable than prior incremental (4.x) betas.

2-factor authentication... what do they use? SMS to phone?

I'll wait.

It is GA now.

2FA uses mobile & email (for emergency)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-03-14 14.21.17.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-03-14 14.21.17.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 317