What's new

For the millionth time, vlan/separating IoT setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spaziba

New Around Here
Hi there, so I’m sorry to be the one to ask the same question over again. Unfortunately, I am a little confused in regard to vlans.

Basically, I have a PC, NAS and Nvidia Shield Tv that I would like to be on one network. Separate from this I would like to have the, more or less, unsecure devices such as Google Home, Phillips Hue, Logitech Harmony and Tado thermostats. So, I am really just after the simplest setup possible to achieve this goal, and hopefully thereby increase my security a little.

My head is currently swimming with vlan, cascading routers and so on. I currently own an Asus RT-AC66U and an unmanaged switch, so some hardware might be required. I have seen some forums recommending an EdgeRouter X and AP-AC – could this still be the way to go?

Again, I do apologise for posting this question so like many others.

have you read and understood the VLAN setup guide on SNB ?
Once you understand that, then it is just following the particular implementation for your hardware.
Unmanaged switch should pass everything.
You could even look into using 3rd party firmware like Merlin's on the ASUS.

If you have previous threads on the topic, it is easier to offer advice if you keep posting where all the previous info is.....

.... have you considered using the guest network option for your "unsecure" devices?

have you read and understood the VLAN setup guide on SNB ?
Once you understand that, then it is just following the particular implementation for your hardware.
Unmanaged switch should pass everything.
You could even look into using 3rd party firmware like Merlin's on the ASUS.

You mean the guide here https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/30071-vlan-how-to-segmenting-a-small-lan?start=0, then yes. What I can gather from it is a managed switch with vlan option is the way to go (plus access point so the WiFi also can be seperated)

Last edited:
If you have previous threads on the topic, it is easier to offer advice if you keep posting where all the previous info is.....

.... have you considered using the guest network option for your "unsecure" devices?

No other threads from me, just this one.
The guest network is a good idea, but some of the devices do not have wifi