What's new

For those having stability issues on AImesh with wireless backhaul, downgrade to 384.13

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gtothe

New Around Here
I've tried a few firmwares and the only ones that work without random dropouts is fw 384.13. I am using 2 "RT-AC68U"s

The only problem I have now is that let's encrypt is not working anymore (ACME v1).

I wish there was an easy way to back port Let's Encrypt ACME v2 from 384.13_2 which is a RT-AC87U only build

Sorry you are having problems. But, Asus firmware 9.0.0.4.386.41994 works very well with AC66U_B1 with AC68U nodes on wired and wireless. No dropouts.
Going back to a prior firmware is not a good option as you will bring back the security vulnerabilities.

Sorry you are having problems. But, Asus firmware 9.0.0.4.386.41994 works very well with AC66U_B1 with AC68U nodes on wired and wireless. No dropouts.
Going back to a prior firmware is not a good option as you will bring back the security vulnerabilities.
I kinda want to stay with Merlin firmware since it has a few features I need and I don't see a Merlin software using GPL 386.41994.

Edit: I see that 386.41994 is a beta so I guess I will have to wait a while. Also upgrading and downgrading is a hassle since I have to reset everything on all my routers

Last edited:
Also upgrading and downgrading is a hassle since you have to reset everything on all my routers

What is there to configure so much on AiMesh nodes? Firmware 384.13 is missing 1.5y worth of security updates and features fixes.

Around 384.17 or 18 the password storage mechanism changed. That means you need to reset the router in order to log in.

Also nodes have to be on the same firmare or they won't connect. You can't have the router on a new firmware and the node on a substantial older firmware or it will not work (or vice versa).

Yes, the password got encrypted at some point. Did you try Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2_4 on all routers?

Yes, the password got encrypted at some point. Did you try Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2_4 on all routers?
Yes. I went from 384.17 where I had issues to 386.2_4 and it was no better.

Also, I can't find a way to enable SSH on the aimesh node so I can check the logs to see what is going on. Aimesh is pretty half assed. It's been like 2 years and they can't get it right on a 7 year old router.

Also, I can't find a way to enable SSH on the aimesh node so I can check the logs to see what is going on.
Just enable SSH on the main AI Mesh Router... locate the IP of the Node in the DHCP table. Open a putty session on the Node IP using the main router UID and PW.

Just enable SSH on the main AI Mesh Router... locate the IP of the Node in the DHCP table. Open a putty session on the Node IP using the main router UID and PW.
I have already tried that on a few different firmware versions. It only enables SSH on the main router

You guys may have to wait for an Asus fix because AiMesh is not a Merlin thing. I would rather use router/repeater configuration with newer firmware than 1.5y old firmware just to keep AiMesh working. AiMesh 1.0 in 384 code is a repeater anyway.

Of course its not a Merlin issue. Never meant to imply that.

I was mainly trying to help people with AIMesh stability issues and see if anyone has experienced similar issues

I rather not have 30+ seconds of downtime every 30 minutes. I'll wait for a stable 386 release. I checked the 386.41994 thread and it seems like there's quite a few bugs.

Takes me a whole day to get all my routers set up correctly and I rather not test a beta non-merlin build just to see if it works correctly. Aimesh 2.0 looks great but if I get dropouts then it's of no use to me.

There are many users around with re-used after upgrade AC68U and AC66U B1 routers running AiMesh 2.0 setup. I've done some tests with AC86U and AC66U B1 and AiMesh 2.0 was up and running for almost an entire week with no disconnections. Firmware used was the same 41994 beta on all devices, 2x AC86U and 1x AC66U B1. I know my test was perhaps not long enough and without any heavy traffic, but see in post #2 @bbunge is using similar routers with no dropouts. What exactly AC68U model routers do you have? Any cellphone company names printed on them by chance?

I get about 2 days of node 2.4ghz AP uptime and so far 6 days of 5ghz node AP uptime with basic config using Merlin 386.2_4. I tried the latest 384.19 on a node with 386 on main router and it was a bit more stable but it seems at least the 2.4ghz node driver is flaky.

JTYXMnL.png

and counting... Not a single disconnect with the setup in my signature on 386.2_4.

As for SSH access to my AIMesh node (RT-AC68U): as soon as I enabled SSH and I pasted my SSH key on the Main Router (RT-AC86U) it was synced with the AIMesh node. I disabled access with username and password and I can use the same key to access to node without altering any settings on the node itself and view the logfiles etc. But username and password alone should work just as well, as they're being synced once SSH is enabled and configured.

Could it be that the cause of your issues lies elsewhere? How about a fresh start, for example by following the 2021 tutorial by member L&LD? The link is at the bottom of his 'About' page:

To me it has proven to be very useful and I have very stable results. Or follow one of the other suggestions. But suggesting to downgrade to 384.13 to those having issues is a not a good idea.

1620511921851.png
@Hazel thats is your main router uptime not the AP uptime. Above is my two AC68Us first line is 2.4ghz node, second is the 5ghz node, third and 4th are the main router AP uptimes. 22 days is my DSL-N55U in media bridge and the last is a Zyxel modem.

Running main router with Merlin and Aimesh node with factory firmware(latest) haven't had any issues here with disconnects...

View attachment 33714@Hazel thats is your main router uptime not the AP uptime. Above is my two AC68Us first line is 2.4ghz node, second is the 5ghz node, third and 4th are the main router AP uptimes. 22 days is my DSL-N55U in media bridge and the last is a Zyxel modem.

Okay, then where do I find my AP uptime?

As for the comment by OP regarding the 41994 ‘beta’ (which was recommended by ASUS to all users), a new release is out for the RT-AC86U since April 28th, 3.0.0.4.386.42643 (Which for the ones running hot contains a fix, among others, for the high CPU usage and apparently temps are running lower again.

Thread 'New AC86U firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42643'

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!