What's new

Fusion VPN Client + Aimesh simultaneously? ROG Rapture GT-AC2900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sforza

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'd like an RTSP webcam video stream to be tunneled via VPN, while rest of connections use normal WAN. I have read VPN fusion offers this option, via OpenVPN Client, so that should work. My question is, is this compatible with AiMesh? Or is OpenVPN Client only designed to work with devices directly connected to the ROG?

Last but not least I'd like all of this to happen over the guest wifi ssid.

Would this design work? All devices are connected via ethernet backhaul with the exception of the webcam.
ISP Router <-> ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 <-> AC86U <-> AC68U <~~> webcam

In this case ROG would of course be the AiMesh host, rest being nodes only.

I already own the RT-AC86U and RT-AC68U routers, recently got a good deal on used ones. ROG one I am considering to purchase only if this configuration is possible. I'm not looking for experimental/beta firmwares, just stock firmware ideally please.

I find comforting that AC86U and AC68u had firmwares released as recently as one month ago, explicitly mentioning AiMesh improvements. The GT-AC2900 however had its latest FW version one year ago.

Alternative option would be to forget about the VPN of course and just use the AC86U as main one, possibly adding a 2nd cheap AC68U.

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51255 (2023/03/02)
12.Optimize the AiMesh web interface
13.Fixed network map UI bugs
17.Improved AiMesh connection stability.

Just registered after being a reader for some time. Thanks in advance for your help!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!