What's new

For those having stability issues on AImesh with wireless backhaul, downgrade to 384.13

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Okay, then where do I find my AP uptime?

As for the comment by OP regarding the 41994 ‘beta’ (which was recommended by ASUS to all users), a new release is out for the RT-AC86U since April 28th, 3.0.0.4.386.42643 (Which for the ones running hot contains a fix, among others, for the high CPU usage and apparently temps are running lower again.

Thread 'New AC86U firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42643'
If you have a PC download WinFi Lite and that gives you all the info you need. Above screenshot from WinFi.

I'm having the same problem. I have 2 x RT-AC5300. I had 0 problems with firmware 384. But ever since update to 386, I'm having issues where the AiMesh shows great connection but wifi devices that connect to the node will crawl. But devices connected to the node via ethernet will run full speed. It was bad enough I tried a full factory reset and set up both endpoints over again... twice.

Now, ever since 386.2.4, I'm having issues with nodes AND the guest network isn't working.

Again, connectivity between the nodes is great (wireless backhawl on the 2nd 5Ghz). Devices on ethernet work great as well. Just wifi devices connecting to the node will crawl or not work at all intermittently...so I have to walk over to the main router to get internet working again.

I've searched the forum all over the place and I haven't been able to find a solution and I didn't feel like starting a new thread since I'm to new here. I know older firmwares are missing lot of security updates but I might not have a choice but to go back to the AiMesh 1.0 setup...

Any pointer would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:
For now, I fixed this by binding most of the devices to the main router...which completely defeats having an AiMesh. At this point, might as well convert one of the AC5300 to a wireless ethernet bridge... I figured I can hold out for the next firmware update to see if it helps. If not, I'll try switching back to the official ASUS firmware to see if that helps.

I posted this in another thread but wanted to follow up here too.

I switched back to the official ASUS firmware that's in beta (9.0.0.4_386_41994) and all my problems went away.

Summary: I went from 384 to 386 with a dirty upgrade (no fresh install). I thought that might be a problem so I did a factory reset and did a complete setup from scratch twice - pain since I have static DHCP assignments. Nothing helped - AiMesh nodes were unstable, Guest wifi stopped working after repeated setup, etc. Then I installed the stock ASUS and things were okay - guest wifi works and AiMesh is stable even when going from node to node. As a test I went BACK to Merlin 386.2_4 and guest wifi stopped working immediately. I didn't bother testing the AiMesh nodes after the guest failure. Now I'm back on ASUS firmware again and things are good. So weird... From what I understand of how Merlin is built, there shouldn't be this much difference between stock and merlin...

I've gone through many ASUS routers from ac68, ac88, now ac5300 and this is the first time I've ever ran stock ASUS firmware... I miss the VPN and DNS-over-TLS etc, but I can live without that until Merlin is stable again.

I posted this in another thread but wanted to follow up here too.

I switched back to the official ASUS firmware that's in beta (9.0.0.4_386_41994) and all my problems went away.

Summary: I went from 384 to 386 with a dirty upgrade (no fresh install). I thought that might be a problem so I did a factory reset and did a complete setup from scratch twice - pain since I have static DHCP assignments. Nothing helped - AiMesh nodes were unstable, Guest wifi stopped working after repeated setup, etc. Then I installed the stock ASUS and things were okay - guest wifi works and AiMesh is stable even when going from node to node. As a test I went BACK to Merlin 386.2_4 and guest wifi stopped working immediately. I didn't bother testing the AiMesh nodes after the guest failure. Now I'm back on ASUS firmware again and things are good. So weird... From what I understand of how Merlin is built, there shouldn't be this much difference between stock and merlin...

I've gone through many ASUS routers from ac68, ac88, now ac5300 and this is the first time I've ever ran stock ASUS firmware... I miss the VPN and DNS-over-TLS etc, but I can live without that until Merlin is stable again.
I'm having the wi-fi drop out issues as well. I'm currently on the latest 3.0.0.4.386.43129 from May 5th, 2021. Just trying to understand what you did, as the AIMESH was the feature that sold me on these routers, and have 3 more waiting to go live (Small Motel/Resort with 15 spread out units). So based on my understanding of your post, you went back to the BETA software, which is actually significantly OLDER than the latest non-beta?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!