"Force" Device to Use AiMesh Node?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

fairmarketvalue

Occasional Visitor
I've researched this issue in the forum, but don't think my precise situation is covered.

I have two Asus XT8 units, each running in AiMesh mode with the latest 386.41793 firmware. The wireless connection between the router and the node is listed in the Web GUI as at excellent strength. I have several non-moving devices located fairly close to the node (e.g., Nest thermostat, Google Home speakers, Samsung TV, etc.). However, they do not connect to the node - they keep showing up as being connected to the router via the appropriate network (2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz).

Is there a simple way I can force these "stationary" devices to connect to the node, where the signal would be appreciably stronger, rather than the router?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
If you haven't removed and fully reset the node after flashing the firmware, you're currently using on them, that is what I would suggest first.
  1. Remove node from AiMesh.
  2. Reboot the main router, wait fifteen minutes for the router/network to settle.
  3. Add AiMesh node
    • Suggested additional steps:
      • Reboot after 15 minutes
      • Reboot 'System' (main router and nodes) via the GUI after an additional 60 minutes.

Piggie

Regular Contributor
I've researched this issue in the forum, but don't think my precise situation is covered.

I have two Asus XT8 units, each running in AiMesh mode with the latest 386.41793 firmware. The wireless connection between the router and the node is listed in the Web GUI as at excellent strength. I have several non-moving devices located fairly close to the node (e.g., Nest thermostat, Google Home speakers, Samsung TV, etc.). However, they do not connect to the node - they keep showing up as being connected to the router via the appropriate network (2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz).

Is there a simple way I can force these "stationary" devices to connect to the node, where the signal would be appreciably stronger, rather than the router?

If you are looking to bind a specific client to the router or a specific node - Click on the AiMesh menu. From that menu find the client you want to bind on the Client List (right side of screen). Click the Bind and then select the Router or Node. Then OK.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!