What's new

"Force" Device to Use AiMesh Node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fairmarketvalue

Occasional Visitor
I've researched this issue in the forum, but don't think my precise situation is covered.

I have two Asus XT8 units, each running in AiMesh mode with the latest 386.41793 firmware. The wireless connection between the router and the node is listed in the Web GUI as at excellent strength. I have several non-moving devices located fairly close to the node (e.g., Nest thermostat, Google Home speakers, Samsung TV, etc.). However, they do not connect to the node - they keep showing up as being connected to the router via the appropriate network (2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz).

Is there a simple way I can force these "stationary" devices to connect to the node, where the signal would be appreciably stronger, rather than the router?

If you haven't removed and fully reset the node after flashing the firmware, you're currently using on them, that is what I would suggest first.
  1. Remove node from AiMesh.
  2. Reboot the main router, wait fifteen minutes for the router/network to settle.
  3. Add AiMesh node
    • Suggested additional steps:
      • Reboot after 15 minutes
      • Reboot 'System' (main router and nodes) via the GUI after an additional 60 minutes.

I've researched this issue in the forum, but don't think my precise situation is covered.

I have two Asus XT8 units, each running in AiMesh mode with the latest 386.41793 firmware. The wireless connection between the router and the node is listed in the Web GUI as at excellent strength. I have several non-moving devices located fairly close to the node (e.g., Nest thermostat, Google Home speakers, Samsung TV, etc.). However, they do not connect to the node - they keep showing up as being connected to the router via the appropriate network (2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz).

Is there a simple way I can force these "stationary" devices to connect to the node, where the signal would be appreciably stronger, rather than the router?

If you are looking to bind a specific client to the router or a specific node - Click on the AiMesh menu. From that menu find the client you want to bind on the Client List (right side of screen). Click the Bind and then select the Router or Node. Then OK.

@Piggie or @PapaVictor Can someone provide a screenshot of this? This resolves one of my biggest complaints about most consumer Wi-Fi mesh systems, e.g., the clients often pick the worst node and/or change the node they're connected to constantly with no ability for me to control it.

Not sure if this looks the same on your model, but this is how it works for me.
Open AiMesh from the UI, and find out to which node your device is currently connected. Click on the node and the client list will show. Make sure you see All Clients.

MMYLmfT.png

Click the 'Bind' icon (white background means already bound to a specific node, black background can freely roam between nodes) and a pop-up menu will appear:

qTTDNls.png

Select the node you wish to 'bind' the device to and click OK. Done.

@Piggie or @PapaVictor Can someone provide a screenshot of this? This resolves one of my biggest complaints about most consumer Wi-Fi mesh systems, e.g., the clients often pick the worst node and/or change the node they're connected to constantly with no ability for me to control it.
The reason clients are picking the wrong nodes is because smart connect hasn't been tweaked to your specific network environment. Asus do a reasonable all rounder config but everybody's network is different.

Using PHY rates combined with RSSi is a good way to force clients to connect to the nearest thus correct node. This alone will ensure load balancing as they can fall back to the further node if their node is overloaded.

Unfortunately asus don't provide a guide but you can check the PHY rates of each client in the admin panel.

I find a good way to visualise the logic is to draw a flow chart. Thus will enable you to understand what's going on and tweak it until all your clients are where they are supposed to be.

Not sure if this looks the same on your model, but this is how it works for me.
Open AiMesh from the UI, and find out to which node your device is currently connected. Click on the node and the client list will show. Make sure you see All Clients.

Just a heads up, if you're on older firmware that runs AiMesh 1.0, then you won't have the bind option. You need to be on firmware that has AiMesh 2.0.

Leerees said: "Unfortunately asus don't provide a guide but you can check the PHY rates of each client in the admin panel"

I was unable to find exactly where in the admin panel this info resides. Could you be a bit more specific? Must Smart Connect be enabled to see this info?

Leerees said: "Unfortunately asus don't provide a guide but you can check the PHY rates of each client in the admin panel"

I was unable to find exactly where in the admin panel this info resides. Could you be a bit more specific? Must Smart Connect be enabled to see this info?
From the home screen click System Log and then the Wireless log tab. This will show you a snapshot of all your wifi radios and connected clients. Copy this information into notepad.

You want to pay attention to the Tx Rate and Rx Rate and an RSSI number in -dB.

Smart connect is already configured to roam clients with a high RSSI (lower numbers are better). However, sometimes this may not be enough so you can use the data rates to dial in more control. For example, you could say that you don't want any clients to get less than 10mb/s and smart connect will allow you to control that.

Adding this additional logic eliminates those rare times when smart connect doesn't quite get it right. For example, you could have an acceptable RSSI but there may be interference that's affecting the performance for that individual client. Rate based roaming will pick up on that and move the client onto another radio.

The clients will be listed under "Stations" for each radio.

Like this:

Stations List
----------------------------------------
idx MAC Associated Authorized RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS BW Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
*****:48:6C:2:DAC Yes Yes -53dBm ax Yes Yes No No 1 80M 967.1M 686.4M 00:37:04
****5:31:7E:E8 Yes Yes -59dBm ax No Yes Yes Yes 4 160M 2594.1M 2594.1M 13:13:37
4 ***0:3E:5F:A7 Yes Yes -76dBm ax No Yes Yes Yes 2 80M 910.4M 854.8M 00:02:22

To start making changes, click wireless, select the band you want to work on from the drop down smart connect menu, then click Smart Connect Rule.

Now change the PHY rates less than and greater than.

Don't worry about messing things up, you can always click Default at the bottom of the page to reset it.

Last edited:
Does anyone notice when binding Chromecast with Google tv devices, both 4k and HD, to an aimesh node they don't connect? They completely loose connection and won't connect to wifi
Binding them back again to main router, they connect to wifi

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!