What's new

Force SafeSearch in DuckDuckGo

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So It seems adding them individually using wildcard is blocking the domains. Is there a way to add them another way since it looks like adding the link has no impact.
So once you add them to pihole you need to refesh the devices you are testing with. You shouldnt need wildcard block because you are only concerned with blocking the specific domains on the list and not any parent domains.

You also need to update gravity on pihole inorder for it to use the domains on the list.
hmm.. I ended up just copying and pasting all the domains as single into pihole and that seems be be blocking them, but because it's not a link, it won't be updated.. I didn't realize I had to update gravity for it to take effect... how can I delete all those individual domains a faster way than one by one?

Now when trying to add the link to block list, I get this message...

1631474645312.png

I reinstalled Pihole from scratch and the same thing happens.. Unable to add the link in the Domains section.
The domains are only being blocked if add them individually AND selecting Wild card.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but if I have a fresh installation of Pihole it should work as you said right?

I reinstalled Pihole from scratch and the same thing happens.. Unable to add the link in the Domains section.
The domains are only being blocked if add them individually AND selecting Wild card.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but if I have a fresh installation of Pihole it should work as you said right?
You should consider just using CleanBrowsing DNS to enforce safesearch since you seem (to me) to be in over your head at this point in time with dnsmasq, Pi-Hole, DoH, etc. Spend some time learning how to customize Pi-Hole and asking questions at the PiHole forums. If you want to go back to a router-based dnsmasq solution (e.g. using Diversion instead of PiHole), come back and ask those questions.

I'm not saying you should give up and abandon this thread, but I don't think your setup is in a good state at the moment since you seem to be trying random things. You'll get better PiHole support at their forums, and better ASUS/Merlin/Diversion support here. But if you implement something you don't fully understand, you'll panic the first time it breaks and you won't know why. Been there, done that. :oops:

You should consider just using CleanBrowsing DNS to enforce safesearch since you seem (to me) to be in over your head at this point in time with dnsmasq, Pi-Hole, DoH, etc. Spend some time learning how to customize Pi-Hole and asking questions at the PiHole forums. If you want to go back to a router-based dnsmasq solution (e.g. using Diversion instead of PiHole), come back and ask those questions.

I'm not saying you should give up and abandon this thread, but I don't think your setup is in a good state at the moment since you seem to be trying random things. You'll get better PiHole support at their forums, and better ASUS/Merlin/Diversion support here. But if you implement something you don't fully understand, you'll panic the first time it breaks and you won't know why. Been there, done that. :oops:
I concur, all you are doing swimming in circles if you dont already have some sort of general knowledge of what you are doing because this is just taking the forum way out of the scope of what would help general users. If the issue is occuring with pihole, then talk with pihole devs. If it is an issue with the router, then ask for support from here. But first sit down and read more about what you are using before you dive heads first in the water.

Here it looks like you added the list link as a domain and not to the adlist section.
Yes, I understood the link was supposed to be added to the blocked list (blacklisted domains). Now that I added it to the correct place (adlists section) it works. SafeSearch is being enforced even with FireFox's DNS over HTTPS enabled..which is what I wanted all along.

Thanks guys, I know it must be incredibly frustrating having to deal with someone who doesn't know as much as you guys about this stuff.. but I really appreciate your patience.

Here it looks like you added the list link as a domain and not to the adlist section.
The link to the list your provided has been working great!!!
Do you know of a similar list, but that blocks access to vpn domains?

For example, if my son wants to install a vpn app on his phone or a vpn plugin browser.. I would like to prevent the connection of those vpns.
Would be great if a list like that exists the same as with the DNS over HTTPS like you provided...but for vpns.

Since I use OpenDns, it does a pretty good job at blocking vpn browser plugins, but for some reason it won't block smart device vpn apps.

The link to the list your provided has been working great!!!
Do you know of a similar list, but that blocks access to vpn domains?

For example, if my son wants to install a vpn app on his phone or a vpn plugin browser.. I would like to prevent the connection of those vpns.
Would be great if a list like that exists the same as with the DNS over HTTPS like you provided...but for vpns.
It has some vpn provider addressing in it as well. And some proxy services as well.

I tried that last adlist and unfortunately it would not block a vpns from the app store. I can still connect to their available VPNs
The problem with some of the vpn app is that the vpn apps may be using an actual ip address to connect as opposed to a domain address. In this case you need to set up an ip block for known vpn ip addresses using something like Skynet.