What's new

Beta [Fork] 384.13 builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zulgrib

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

With the help of GNUton, few new builds based on 384.13 could be released to update software for routers that went end of life on mainline Asuswrt-Merlin.

While the build exist, there's currently no support for it, they will probably be untested, use at your own risk. It is done in hope it will be useful to someone and reduce electronic waste, the hardware inside ASUS routers is very capable for small networks, with most achieving symmetrical 1Gbps without apparent problems.

Not all builds will be publicly available, but the code source will always be.

I would like to thanks all contributors to the software used to make the router exist in addition to GNUton, Merlin and Asus.

which routers is this built for, specifically? I can't see n66u's being pulled out of closets/basements and re-commisioned as AiMesh nodes...or will I?

Hey,
For now only RT-AC87U. (As seen in release description)

The focus is on the RT-AC87U first because this is a model I see a lot personally in small businesses that took the time to replace local ISP's pile of trash.

No promise, but once there is a stable release candidate for the RT-AC87U, I will check which WrtMerlin EOL model are popular and see if I can make magic, or bring someone to make magic there.

There are low chances a developer would contribute dedicated time on this without a favor in return, I need to be careful when giving directions when I have a say as developers won't give me unlimited time for my request, competent developers usually already have their occupation elsewhere and need to feed their families.

Another problem is some of these devices are not using mainline Linux kernel, probably due to proprietary drivers which never saw the light of an opensource replacement.
RT-AC87U uses a 2.6 kernel for example, while older RT-AC51U runs on 3.4 last i checked thanks to awesome people. Fixing stuff for old kernel is not simple, one would have to backport security fixes without breaking stability and functionalities.

Combined, some of these problem led Merlin to drop support for these models because it was not possible to keep one source tree for all the devices.

Meanwhile, if you have MediaTek based routers from ASUS in the closed, I can compile a Padavan build for you if encounter difficulties building it, but that would be another thread.

Last edited:
Hello,

With the help of GNUton, few new builds based on 384.13 could be released to update software for routers that went end of life on mainline Asuswrt-Merlin.

While the build exist, there's currently no support for it, they will probably be untested, use at your own risk. It is done in hope it will be useful to someone and reduce electronic waste, the hardware inside ASUS routers is very capable for small networks, with most achieving symmetrical 1Gbps without apparent problems.

I would like to thanks all contributors to the software used to make the router exist in addition to GNUton, Merlin and Asus.
I see updates for openvpn and curl,, I would recommend maybe @GNUton could port over the security update for dnsmasq if he has time. #correction

I just saw them, awesome job @GNUton

Plans exist to backport OpenVPN features part, in addition to upgrading the OpenVPN version that you can already test with the beta build.

We need to upgrade security related issues first, there is no point running these machines if it's a danger to your network.

curl and dnsmasq are up to date too.
If you have an RT-AC87U somewhere and wish to help testing the stability of OpenVPN from this build, including with options not available from the GUI (/jffs config file injection), it would be dashing.

Hi!
Owner of a RT-AC87U here, happy to know it might resurrect thanks to you guys!
Thanks for your dedication!
As always, thanks to Merlin as well.

Hi!
Owner of a RT-AC87U here, happy to know it might resurrect thanks to you guys!
Thanks for your dedication!
As always, thanks to Merlin as well.
This is really awesome, especially if you can convince key players such as @GNUton To remain involved with porting over commits and helping keep things up-to-date.

what may be interesting to pursue (or completely ridiculous, I'm not certain) is to port Asus-Merlin to work on a RasPi4 as router/AiMesh nodes.
and maybe administer the network through balena cloud...
but that's a ubiquiti-esque scenario
....as best I understand things.

Hello,

Did this go anywhere - I was thinking someone might have tried it and replied?

You know, AsusWRT is not the only game in town. There still are DD-WRT and FreshTomato. Even OpenWRT could be used, although it is not a great option for WiFi.

It may not be the only game in town, but it is the only one worth bothering with (specifically AsusWRT-RMerlin on consumer routers with routing and wi-fi equally important.

It may not be the only game in town, but it is the only one worth bothering with (specifically AsusWRT-RMerlin on consumer routers with routing and wi-fi equally important.
Not if you're talking about the RT-AC87U (which this thread is) as Merlin has dropped support for that model.

Flashed the RT-AC87U_384.13_202106 build on my old 87u
The update went smooth going to test it as a access point for now ;)

Updated one of my two RT-AC87U's and all went great. Great to be current again on a very capable router. Thanks for the time & effort here.

Edit: Updated 2nd RT-AC87U all went great. It runs Diversion, Skynet, Unbound etc.

Last edited:
Thank you for the build and appreciate the effort.

I just flashed this (RT-AC87U_384.13_202106) and when I look at the log, I see lots of this... Any ideas?

1630426932290.png

Thank you for the build and appreciate the effort.

I just flashed this (RT-AC87U_384.13_202106) and when I look at the log, I see lots of this... Any ideas?

View attachment 36061
I have not seen that in the log on my 87u
Would try a hard reboot(pull out the power cord and press power button on the router 3-4 times a few second's apart) plug it back in a restart it, has helped more then a few times on my 87u.
If that do not help i would do a full reset and reconfigure it manually.

I have not seen that in the log on my 87u
Would try a hard reboot(pull out the power cord and press power button on the router 3-4 times a few second's apart) plug it back in a restart it, has helped more then a few times on my 87u.
If that do not help i would do a full reset and reconfigure it manually.
Thanks. In fact, after I posted that message, I did a power cycle and don't see that message anymore.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!