What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi All,

I have this f/w up and running, but I have noticed that "OpenVPN Server 1 - Running" I don't use VPN so I am wondering why this is running ?

Hi All,

I have this f/w up and running, but I have noticed that "OpenVPN Server 1 - Running" I don't use VPN so I am wondering why this is running ?
Difference in meanings of some of the saved nvram settings between firmware levels.....did you do a factory reset after loading the firmware?

Difference in meanings of some of the saved nvram settings between firmware levels.....did you do a factory reset after loading the firmware?

No I cleared Nvram through telnet, reloaded my settings and rebooted.

Seems that the DHCP starting range is being ignored. Set for 192.168.1.50 as the starting address. But clients are getting .176. and .185 and so on.

Seems that the DHCP starting range is being ignored. Set for 192.168.1.50 as the starting address. But clients are getting .176. and .185 and so on.

176 & 185 are less than 50?

I see no problem. DHCP often jumps far beyond the starting point because of clients that do not follow the (RFC?) standards.

If you require a lower and upper limit, then set an upper limit. Otherwise, any number larger than or equal to 50 is valid, logically.

176 & 185 are less than 50?

I see no problem. DHCP often jumps far beyond the starting point because of clients that do not follow the (RFC?) standards.

If you require a lower and upper limit, then set an upper limit. Otherwise, any number larger than or equal to 50 is valid, logically.
I see what you are saying as far as it starting beyond the starting point. So effectively nothing will be assigned below 50 with this starting point assigned but anything up to .254 may randomly appear. And yeah I understand those addresses are valid but old dlink would start at the 1st address after the starting point typically. Anyway thanks for input.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean "less than 50" but I see what you are saying as far as it starting beyond the starting point. So effectively nothing will be assigned below 50 with this starting point assigned but anything up to .254 may randomly appear. Old dlink would start at the 1st address after the starting point typically.

My point was, you are logically saying "any address between *.50 and *.254 for all clients". If you need predictable IPs for each host (I do), then use static DHCP assignment.

dnsmasq uses a hash of the mac address to assign an address somewhere in the start-end reange. The addresses aren't given out sequentially from the start. Each client will then tend to get that same address every time it connects.

No I cleared Nvram through telnet, reloaded my settings and rebooted.
You can't reload the settings taken when on a different firmware level.by the save configuration in the gui. Each save is unique to the firmware level on which it was taken.

dnsmasq uses a hash of the mac address tot assign an address somewhere in the start-end reange. The addresses aren't given out sequentially from the start. Each client will then tend to get that same address every time it connects.

My father's stupid Droid-mini whatever changes it's MAC address everytime he visits... He's a standard user, not some power-user with 3rd-party ROMs.

My pfSense router has over 50 recorded MAC addresses for his phone, and they follow no logic (all parts of the MAC are dynamic, including the OUI)

Honestly, it's a security "nightmare" (for those who adorn their head with tin-foil). :)

dnsmasq uses a hash of the mac address to assign an address somewhere in the start-end reange. The addresses aren't given out sequentially from the start. Each client will then tend to get that same address every time it connects.
Ah got it. Thanks guys! ( I do have a few static assigned BTW) was just fooling around with the starting point to make room for the statics I want to use and saw this and questioned it.

My father's stupid Droid-mini whatever changes it's MAC address everytime he visits... He's a standard user, not some power-user with 3rd-party ROMs.

My pfSense router has over 50 recorded MAC addresses for his phone, and they follow no logic (all parts of the MAC are dynamic, including the OUI)

Honestly, it's a security "nightmare" (for those who adorn their head with tin-foil). :)
I've heard about some devices doing that...mostly Apply products. First I've heard of another. Is the Droid android based?

I've heard about some devices doing that...mostly Apply products. First I've heard of another. Is the Droid android based?

Yeah, Android. I think the device was a "Droid Mini" on Verizon (rather recent - last 18 months?).

After looking at my logs, the strange MACs massively declined around late December 2015, though my pfSense logs only go back to April-2015, and early 2015 was when I noted the alarming number of random MACs.

I will try to find my old pfSense logs and share more useful info.

I spent some time poking around to see if there as any additional logging I could turn on in the router to try and trap this....unfortunately, I couldn't find any.

But, is this a Windows client? Windows may be able to help....

Open up the Event Log and go to
Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > WLAN-AutoConfig > Operational

See anything interesting there?

Hi @john9527
I've checked this on windows and get the following error:
"BSS Type: Infrastructure
Failure Reason:The specific network is not available.
RSSI: 255"

I've also checked on INSSIDER and the Radio is broadcasting, which is very strange.

I know that this is happening to other people but it seems that until this moment no one knows what happens to the RT-N66U and how to work around it.

If you remember anything else I'm willing to try.

Hi @john9527

I've also checked on INSSIDER and the Radio is broadcasting, which is very strange.

I know that this is happening to other people but it seems that until this moment no one knows what happens to the RT-N66U and how to work around it.

If you remember anything else I'm willing to try.

Can you link the other threads/posts where other people are having similar problems with the RT-N66U?

If you have other clients that are able to use the RT-N66U as a WiFi AP, then the problem seems to be with your Windows device, not the RT-N66U.

Based on a little research, I would expect there to be a follow on Error or Informational message following with some more detail.

Two generic fixes seemed to show up....
- In the client adapter properties, uncheck allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
- Make sure that the 802.1X authentication option isn't enabled on the client adapter.

Can you link the other threads/posts where other people are having similar problems with the RT-N66U?

If you have other clients that are able to use the RT-N66U as a WiFi AP, then the problem seems to be with your Windows device, not the RT-N66U.

One example mentioned earlier:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-n66u-2-4ghz-drops-but-clients-cant-reconnect.24534/

It does not affect only Windows device but affects all the devices connecting to 2.4Ghz band.

Based on a little research, I would expect there to be a follow on Error or Informational message following with some more detail.

Two generic fixes seemed to show up....
- In the client adapter properties, uncheck allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
- Make sure that the 802.1X authentication option isn't enabled on the client adapter.

Hi again John,

I've already made those 2 changes and the problem persists.
It also should not be the windows device as no 2.4GHz device can connect.

I remember that that was the case, but I can sort of envision a scenario where the 802.1x problem may possible lock thing up as it tries to deal with a potentially invalid certificate on the client side (just to make sure we're talking the same thing, this is not the router 802.11 options, but the special security option on the clients).

Also, please check for any follow-on error/informational messages which usually contain the 'real' reason for the failure.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!