What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@YasharF - Unless you changed the defaults under WAN/Redirect to error page, if your WAN is down it will attempt to redirect to the internal web server on the router. Sometimes it will want you to logon to the router in order to display an error/diagnostic message. So, I don't think there is a DNS problem.

I'll see if I can see anything in your syslog (complete from boot to a couple of minutes after the fail)....I'll PM you with an email address.

I find the GUI for port forwarding and port triggering to be cumbersome. Is there a file we can modify on the router or some nvram setting we can use to set these parameters?

I tried changing autofw_rulelist via 'nvram set' to alter the port triggers but the change did occur on reboot so I am guessing it is set by a file somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the GUI for port forwarding and port triggering to be cumbersome. Is there a file we can modify on the router or some nvram setting we can use to set these parameters?

I tried changing autofw_ruleslist via 'nvram set' to alter the port triggers but the change did occur on reboot so I am guessing it is set by a file somewhere?

tc, iptables, and perhaps ebtables (from a Linux perspective).

tc, iptables, and perhaps ebtables (from a Linux perspective).

I could go in and just add the rules to iptables via scripting, but that would nullify the use of the gui altogether. I am looking for a solution that includes the gui- mostly so I have a quick/clean visual reference of the rules.

*** Ahhh!! I am dumb- forgot to nvram commit. :eek::eek::eek: Now THERE is my problem.***

Last edited by a moderator:
I could go in and just add the rules to iptables via scripting, but that would nullify the use of the gui altogether. I am looking for a solution that includes the gui- mostly so I have a quick/clean visual reference of the rules.

*** Ahhh!! I am dumb- forgot to nvram commit. :eek::eek::eek: Now THERE is my problem.***

Tomato (or maybe DD-WRT), IPFire, or pfSense are much better choices if you prefer GUI functionality.

Got it sorted. It wasn't that hard to change AND COMMIT the nvram variable once I got my head out of my rear end.

@YasharF - Unless you changed the defaults under WAN/Redirect to error page, if your WAN is down it will attempt to redirect to the internal web server on the router. Sometimes it will want you to logon to the router in order to display an error/diagnostic message. So, I don't think there is a DNS problem.

I'll see if I can see anything in your syslog (complete from boot to a couple of minutes after the fail)....I'll PM you with an email address.

Installed 17E8 on newly acquired Asus AC68W, super smooth firmware upgrade from the Asus stock, no issues what so ever, and it comes clocked at 1000/800. Thanks again John

Yes, I'm sorry I forgot to thank John for this version. All OK here buddy! Much appreciated is your hard work gone into this.

Thanking you kindly as ever.

My version is RT-AC68U_380.58_0
I've also tried RT-AC68U_380.59_alpha1-g26b553b but there seems to be broken dual WAN as it disconnects from my primary WAN almost immediately after I turn on dual wan.
Wrong thread....please post in the threads for those firmware releases.

Excellent work john9527!
Flashed it last week, to latest build and it has been running stable since. Only thing I've notice thats a bit annoying is the port forwarding. It kills the connection for a couple of minutes when applying changes. This was changed in Asus firmware. Have not checked out the original Merlin build, but if there is one feature I miss, its the persistent connection when adding port forwards. Its probably a bitch to add.

Excellent work john9527!
Flashed it last week, to latest build and it has been running stable since. Only thing I've notice thats a bit annoying is the port forwarding. It kills the connection for a couple of minutes when applying changes. This was changed in Asus firmware. Have not checked out the original Merlin build, but if there is one feature I miss, its the persistent connection when adding port forwards. Its probably a bitch to add.

This is most likely related to NAT acceleration (CTF).

Don't know if its enabled by default. turning it off helped.
Thanks!

It is, unless you enable any incompatible feature such as IPTraffic.

John, I think Asus changed that a few months ago, they might no longer be rebooting everything when changing port forwards with CTF enabled. I don't know however if it was possible due to an update to CTF, or if it was a bug in the webui code and a complete reboot was never really necessary.

This is most likely related to NAT acceleration (CTF).
I took a look at the code, and they forced a reboot when changing the port forwards with CTF active on the older code levels, which was removed in the newer levels. They actually commented the change, and based on the date, it looks like I may be able to make the same change. Will give it a try and see what happens.

Hi John, I'm currently using RMerlin's 380.58 on my RT-AC68U and would like to try out V17E8. Are there any special steps I need to do in order to flash it? Do I have to manually reconfigure everything after flashing it?
Thanks in advance.

Hi John, I'm currently using RMerlin's 380.58 on my RT-AC68U and would like to try out V17E8. Are there any special steps I need to do in order to flash it? Do I have to manually reconfigure everything after flashing it?
Thanks in advance.

Not John, but see first post, this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Flash with v17 fork, and * important* u must "Factory to default Reset" after, and reconfig from beginning
If you need to go back to Rmerlin , the steps are a bit different...
You need to reflash with 378.55 and after 380.58 and "Factory reset defaults" after that. :)

Flash with v17 fork, and * important* u must "Factory to default Reset" after, and reconfig from beginning
If you need to go back to Rmerlin , the steps are a bit different...
You need to reflash with 378.55 and after 380.58 and "Factory reset defaults" after that. :)

Thank you very much.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!