What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi John, would you consider backporting dropbear support for ed25519 keys? I converted all my SSH keys from RSA to ed25519 during my latest stint on Merlin. I realize now when I come back to the fork, I can’t use them. Themiron’s commit is here: https://github.com/mkj/dropbear/commit/3d12521735e7ef7e48be217af0f27d68e23050a7

Saves nvram space and considered more secure! :)
I'd almost be willing to bet you're the only one that has done this :)
There's a build for you to try in my private downloads.

As far as nvram space, you can move the key to jffs. See the Merlin_Fork_Options.txt file

Excellent! I missed my "maintenance window" for today, but I will try to report back soon.
As far as nvram space, you can move the key to jffs. See the Merlin_Fork_Options.txt file
I was just trying to make it sound more appealing for the entire user base, instead of being a selfish request to make my life easier. :p

Looking at the code the alias_llmnr appears to do nothing (there's a TODO comment) and alias creates a CNAME for the real name. Don't what the implication of that is as I don't use Avahi. (Although I can't actually find the part of the source code that creates those two lines in the config so I'm missing a piece of the puzzle somewhere.)
So, a data point.. these entries are not added to the generated configuration in 43E6 - it becomes standard afterwards I presume when avahi 0.7 is added/updated. From what I can gather, alias_llmnr is probably related to Link-Local Multicast Name Resolution which is the Microsoft implementation of mDNS. From what I can tell, this is a relatively narrowly supported implementation so that it doesn't do anything yet I suppose isn't surprising? I'm not a windows guy, I have zero idea what they might use that for. Apple uses Bonjour for a number of things including AirPrint, AirPlay, AirTunes, etc.

I haven't yet figured out what the reasoning behind/userfuless of the alias/CNAME is.

I took the fork in the road and my ed25519 key is working well. Thank you for indulging me!

@john9527 I do see that a hostkey is not generated.
Code:
May 20 21:24:16 dropbear[22316]: Failed loading /etc/dropbear/dropbear_ed25519_host_key

Not having any issues with the current build...so I'll shut up.

I converted all my SSH keys from RSA to ed25519 during my latest stint on Merlin. :)
I have to ask, did you convert RSA keys or generat new one? If you convert them may I ask how?

Thanks
Octopus

I have to ask, did you convert RSA keys or generat new one? If you convert them may I ask how?

Thanks
Octopus
I created new keys, so I “replaced” instead of “converted.”

Hi Guys,
Thanks John for maintaining this! works great on my RT-N66U, however I noticed the router is doing a lookup for www.google.com every 5 seconds or so, anyone knows why the router is making this call every 5 seconds?
Also, have you guys found a way to advertise another DHCP settings (main for start/stop IP and DNS) for GUEST networks?
Thank you,

How are you determining it comes from the router itself versus from a LAN client? Do you have any dual-WAN enabled? wanduck has a reference to "www.asus.com www.google.com www.baidu.com www.yandex.com". Do you see queries to all these domains or just www.google.com?
I have Pihole installed and pointed the router to Pihole , this is what I see:
upload_2020-5-21_13-48-46.png

PS: Dual Band is turned OFF.
Cheers,

I have Pihole installed and pointed the router to Pihole
I doubt the router would generate AAAA queries. Is is possible you have clients using the router IP as DNS and the router is forwarding those requests to the Pihole? A very common problem depending how you setup pihole in the router (as LAN DHCP DNS or WAN DNS).

I created new keys, so I “replaced” instead of “converted.”
Did you get it work with Xshell 6 using ed25519 key's. Working fine in Winscp......

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!