What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK, my first post. Bear with me I'm a noob. Going from Asus v 3.0.0.4.376.1071 to the update-08.

1) How do I backup the jiffs data? I know I have to do a factory reset and that's fine. A bit nervous but not as nervous as when I flash my BIOS on my puter.
2) Does the Download Master pkg automatically download when I do the install?
3) If i lose my jiffs partition or it becomes corrupt, then what do I do? Call the jiffs police?

Update-08 has been released
After over 3300 downloads of Update-07, it's time for a new release!

Update-08 of the 374.43 update fork is now available. This release brings the fork up to date with all applicable security items documented by ASUS through 378.4376. There are also backports of some of Merlin's recent scripting additions, including Custom DDNS scripts. As always, additional backported and new fixes are included along with some user requested features/enhancements.

One special warning.....the Download Master pkg has been removed from the firmware and will be downloaded from the internet if you wish to install it. This has a side effect for MIPS based routers (N16,N66,AC66) which will likely have their jffs partition reformatted, so please ensure you have a backup of your jffs data.

Download information can be found in the first post. If you are coming from Update-07, you can now also directly access the download location from the firmware upgrade page in the gui.

Please take the time to read through at least the highlights (this is another update with a lot of changes and enhancements :) )
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=134867&postcount=1

Thanks again to everyone for your continued interest and feedback!

OK, my first post. Bear with me I'm a noob. Going from Asus v 3.0.0.4.376.1071 to the update-08.

1) How do I backup the jiffs data? I know I have to do a factory reset and that's fine. A bit nervous but not as nervous as when I flash my BIOS on my puter.
With the Merlin firmware (and this fork) you can create scripts to customize many of the routers functions. Since you are coming from and ASUS OEM code, you probably won't have any of those to worry about :) The only other possibility (I'm not sure if it's on the OEM code) is if you are saving Traffic Manager statistics to NVRAM. You may lose your history if you are doing this. If none of the above....nothing to back up. Otherwise you'll need to attach a USB drive/stick, telnet to the router, and use Linux commands to copy the data off.
2) Does the Download Master pkg automatically download when I do the install?
Yes
3) If i lose my jiffs partition or it becomes corrupt, then what do I do? Call the jiffs police?
No need to call the jffs police....they can be tough hombres:) After you load the code, on the Administration/System tab, there are two radio buttions for the jffs...first set the enable radio button to no, apply and reboot.....then enable and format at next boot say yes to both, apply, then reboot your router twice in a row without changing any settings, and you should be all set.

I have now installed the new Software on my RT-N66U and made an Reset. Now I making my settings. I can´t add my Dropbox account on AICoud Smart Sync. When I confirm to allow that The Router access on my dropbox have, it comes a 404 error and dropbox was not added in my List.

Not Found

The requested URL /aicloud/http://192.168.1.1/dropbox_callback.htm,onDropBoxLogin was not found on this server.

Last edited:
I have no installed the new Software on my RT-N66U and made an Reset. Now I making my settings. I can´t add my Dropbox account on AICoud Smart Sync. When I confirm to allow that The Router access on my dropbox have, it comes a 404 error and dropbox was not added in my List.

Not Found

The requested URL /aicloud/http://192.168.1.1/dropbox_callback.htm,onDropBoxLogin was not found on this server.
Dropbox has been having trouble with the Asus routers lately....I'm not aware of any new status....Sorry. (It's also happening on Merlin's latest release)
https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/com...Sync-out-of-sync-with-asus-rt-ac68u-404-error

Hi,

I'm using the 8 version of the fork on a RT-N66U and I can't apply the changes on the DDNS page.
On this page the only configuration that allows applying is using ASUS DDNS, if I change to other providers I can click the apply but nothing happens and if I change to another page and return only the ASUS configuration remains.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for everything in advance.

I signed up here just to say thanks for this. I spent the entire day yesterday trying to get my ac56u routers' wifi download speed matching my old tplink. Nothing worked.. I got 2/3 performance, except your fork! Now it's a wonderful router.
Thank you!

just a quick check

i currently have the fork v7 in place which should apply the powerchange right after applying.

i notice there is hardly any change when going from 80mw to 200mw
when the signal outside is 70% it goes to 75%
when the signal inside is 90% it stays 90%

is it normal that this power chasnge hasd so little impact

tested it on 2.4Ghz only on a rt-ac66u

Hi,

I'm using the 8 version of the fork on a RT-N66U and I can't apply the changes on the DDNS page.
On this page the only configuration that allows applying is using ASUS DDNS, if I change to other providers I can click the apply but nothing happens and if I change to another page and return only the ASUS configuration remains.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for everything in advance.

I was able to recreate....will work on finding the problem.

EDIT: Fix in next release

Last edited:
Hi John
Thanks alot for the update.
I tried to enable webmon following the txt you provided to us on RT-N66U
For some reason it did not work and so i began to investigate about the possible reason.
I found a post of yours in another thread and I noticed some differences in the firewal-start script

Here it is the content of the txt
Code:
--Start of code
# Enable webmon monitoring
  if [ -z "$(iptables -n -L FORWARD | grep 'web_monitor')" ]; then
     modprobe ipt_webmon
     iptables -t filter -N monitor
     iptables -t filter -I FORWARD -o eth0 -j monitor
     iptables -A monitor -p tcp -m webmon --max_domains 2000 --max_searches 2000
fi

It looks like that the script looks for web_monitor but it creates the table" monitor" so the test is always positive.

This is what I found in another post.

Code:
# Enable webmon monitoring
  if [ -z "$(iptables -n -L FORWARD | grep 'web_monitor')" ]; then
     modprobe ipt_webmon
     iptables -t filter -N web_monitor
     iptables -t filter -I FORWARD -o eth0 -j web_monitor
     iptables -A web_monitor -p tcp -m webmon --max_domains 2000 --max_searches 2000
fi

In this scritpt the table web_monitor is created and tested so , it looks like that there is a small error in the more recent txt?
Anyway for some reason with either versions of firewall_start , webmon seems to have problems in workking on my RT-N66U and the two reports files are create but always zero Length

I also tried to executed the firewall_start lines manually on eby one and I got no error
So at this pont I have no clue on why webmon does not work here
Any suggestiion?
Anoone having webmon working onr RT-N66U

Thanks alot for your fork and your continuos support to us

Best Regards
Ocram

Last edited:
One special warning.....the Download Master pkg has been removed from the firmware and will be downloaded from the internet if you wish to install it. This has a side effect for MIPS based routers (N16,N66,AC66) which will likely have their jffs partition reformatted, so please ensure you have a backup of your jffs data.

As a user of an N66U currently on 07 of your build I'm a bit worried about this. In my notes I have written that I use the Download master to setup a data stick on which I run Cherokee and a home Intranet. Your notes say I can download it again afterwards but I don't know where from or how to install it again. I *think* I can copy the items out of the jffs and copy them back afterwards but it's only a think.

I also have some concern about entware, will that affect my use of Cherokee?

Thanks for your help. I'm very unsure with this one. I have thought it may be the end of the road for me with this thread like it was with merlin's over the Wi-Fi changes.

Bob.

Hi john

Was on update 7 then thought I would try merlin 378.51. I'm not sure but I just feel wifi seems more stable on 374.43 so think I might come back and try your new update 8.

When I do a reset will that also clear the nvram? I hear so many conflicting answers about this.

Also you mention something about a jffs partition when updating, do I need to worry about this, I have no idea what it is but I use my n66u for only basic use and hardly change any settings when I change firmwares.

Thanks

It looks like that the script looks for we_monitor but it creates the table" monitor" so the test is always positive.
Good catch....I changed the name from web_monitor to monitor to match what is used in tomato fw (in case I decide to try and port some of their code in the future). Missed changing the check statement. I'll fix that. EDIT: Fixed in the download file.

Anoone having webmon working onr RT-N66U
You may be the first trying in on the N66 (I don't have one to test). I think I enabled things correctly, but there may be a problem there.

First, if you do 'ls /proc' do you see the two webmon files?
Second, this is incompatible with NAT Acceleration....do you have it disabled?

Last edited:
just a quick check

i currently have the fork v7 in place which should apply the powerchange right after applying.

i notice there is hardly any change when going from 80mw to 200mw
when the signal outside is 70% it goes to 75%
when the signal inside is 90% it stays 90%

is it normal that this power chasnge hasd so little impact

tested it on 2.4Ghz only on a rt-ac66u

A couple of ideas here....

First, the 2.4GHz band is pretty robust as far as coverage at lower levels. I've seen similar results when I've done some measurements (I was easier to see reducing power than increasing it when I had a good signal to begin with).

Also, you don't say what your 'percent' measures are (I'm assuming they are something on the client). It possible that the minimum resolution is in 5% increments, so you could be going from 68% to 77% (assuming normal rounding) and have it reported as 70% to 75%.

As a user of an N66U currently on 07 of your build I'm a bit worried about this. In my notes I have written that I use the Download master to setup a data stick on which I run Cherokee and a home Intranet. Your notes say I can download it again afterwards but I don't know where from or how to install it again. I *think* I can copy the items out of the jffs and copy them back afterwards but it's only a think.

First...jffs. It's likely you will need to re-enable/reformat the jffs from the gui after the update. So backing up your jffs files and then restoring them is the right way to plan.

For Download Master, when you go to the gui screen, it will now have an install link to click on to go and get the latest version for install.

I also have some concern about entware, will that affect my use of Cherokee?

Entware isn't installed unless you tell it to. Download Master installs Optware, which is incompatible with Entware. So if you switch to Entware, you'll have to uninstall DM and any other Optware apps, and re-install anything you use from the Entware repository and set it up from scratch.

Thanks for your help. I'm very unsure with this one. I have thought it may be the end of the road for me with this thread like it was with merlin's over the Wi-Fi changes.

Bob.

Hi john

Was on update 7 then thought I would try merlin 378.51. I'm not sure but I just feel wifi seems more stable on 374.43 so think I might come back and try your new update 8.

When I do a reset will that also clear the nvram? I hear so many conflicting answers about this.
I get confused from what I read as well. All the methods for Reset to Factory defaults and clear nvram are ultimately supposed to do the same thing.
For me, I always start with the simple Reset function built into the gui. If anything seems 'off' or if things aren't behaving as expected, I'll do a WPS reset (hold down the WPS button when powering on, and wait for a fast blink from the power LED, wait for a few more seconds then release the WPS button).
Just from my personal experience experimenting with some early Tomato builds, the WPS button was the only thing that got everything back to normal.

Also you mention something about a jffs partition when updating, do I need to worry about this, I have no idea what it is but I use my n66u for only basic use and hardly change any settings when I change firmwares.
If you aren't using custom scripts that you need to save it's easy. Check if it's even enabled in the gui....if it's disabled, nothing to do or worry about. If it is enabled, you may need to do the following after the code load.

- Disable jffs via the gui and reboot (just for safety's sake)
- Enable jffs and format at next boot in the gui
- Reboot the router twice in a row to complete the jffs format

Good catch....I changed the name from web_monitor to monitor to match what is used in tomato fw (in case I decide to try and port some of their code in the future). Missed changing the check statement. I'll fix that. EDIT: Fixed in the download file.

You may be the first trying in on the N66 (I don't have one to test). I think I enabled things correctly, but there may be a problem there.

First, if you do 'ls /proc' do you see the two webmon files?
Second, this is incompatible with NAT Acceleration....do you have it disabled?

Hello John
thanks for your reply
yes if I do ls /proc i can see the two webmon files always updated (checking the date) but always at 0
And yes again , i knew it was incompatible with NAT acceleratione an I confirm, NAT acceleration is OFF (jumbo frames are ON and Spannin Tree are on
Here it is the ls done right now

admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# ls -al /proc/webmon*
-r--r--r-- 1 admin root 0 Mar 15 19:28 /proc/webmon_recent_domains
-r--r--r-- 1 admin root 0 Mar 15 19:28 /proc/webmon_recent_searches

As you can see the files are bot up to date (7.28 PM) but always 0 length

Let's see if someone else is so nice to try it on N-66U and for now thanks alot for updating the TXT and I am happy i gave my little hint.

Best Regards
Ocram

I get confused from what I read as well. All the methods for Reset to Factory defaults and clear nvram are ultimately supposed to do the same thing.
For me, I always start with the simple Reset function built into the gui. If anything seems 'off' or if things aren't behaving as expected, I'll do a WPS reset (hold down the WPS button when powering on, and wait for a fast blink from the power LED, wait for a few more seconds then release the WPS button).
Just from my personal experience experimenting with some early Tomato builds, the WPS button was the only thing that got everything back to normal.

If you aren't using custom scripts that you need to save it's easy. Check if it's even enabled in the gui....if it's disabled, nothing to do or worry about. If it is enabled, you may need to do the following after the code load.

- Disable jffs via the gui and reboot (just for safety's sake)
- Enable jffs and format at next boot in the gui
- Reboot the router twice in a row to complete the jffs format

Thanks John, might attempt update 8 tomorrow. With regards to jffs I will check that but I assume it will be disabled as I don't use custom scripts nor do I know what they areo_O:)

For resetting I normally do the 5 sec hold of the reset button or the wps button for 30 secs while powering on. But I will keep an eye on the lights next time and look out for the fast blink of led power light.

*just to confirm jffs partition is enabled but jffs custom scripts is disabled. So does that mean I may need to do the reformat? How would I be able to tell if I need to do it?
Sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:
Thanks John, might attempt update 8 tomorrow. With regards to jffs I will check that but I assume it will be disabled as I don't use custom scripts nor do I know what they areo_O:)

For resetting I normally do the 5 sec hold of the reset button or the wps button for 30 secs while powering on. But I will keep an eye on the lights next time and look out for the fast blink of led power light.

*just to confirm jffs partition is enabled but jffs custom scripts is disabled. So does that mean I may need to do the reformat? How would I be able to tell if I need to do it?
Sorry for all the questions!

Jffs is disabled by default in the fork build. If you dont use jffs then there is nothing you need to do with that.

Let's see if someone else is so nice to try it on N-66U and for now thanks alot for updating the TXT and I am happy i gave my little hint.

Let's double check that everything is there.....try these commands.....both should return a file....

modprobe -l | grep webmon (that's a small 'L' in -l)
find /usr/lib -name libipt_webmon*

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!