What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in earlier posts (I couldn't get through the 172 pages). There seems to be a bug where I'm unable to upload the saved config. You choose a file, and hit 'UPLOAD' but no upload actually happens. I even had a backup for this same identical version and assumed maybe it needs the same filename, but no go. It just doesn't accept any file for nvram restore.

Can confirm this bug.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in earlier posts (I couldn't get through the 172 pages). There seems to be a bug where I'm unable to upload the saved config. You choose a file, and hit 'UPLOAD' but no upload actually happens. I even had a backup for this same identical version and assumed maybe it needs the same filename, but no go. It just doesn't accept any file for nvram restore.
Confirmed and will be fixed in my weekend update (regression adding the JFFS backup in V17).

Just a quick reminder to everyone reporting a problem.....it didn't matter in this case, but please always include the router model and code level in your report.

Hi John....when doing a firmware upgrade does your upgrade process look at legacy nvram variables that are no longer needed and remove them or is a factory reset required to purge old values. Thanks

Hi John....when doing a firmware upgrade does your upgrade process look at legacy nvram variables that are no longer needed and remove them or is a factory reset required to purge old values. Thanks
The latter.....my upgrade will take care of adding new variables (so you don't have to do a factory reset to initialize them), but won't remove unused/obsolete...

My NVRAM save/restore utility (you can do a search) has a 'clean' restore option that will do what you are asking. You do a save, factory reset, then a clean restore and it will only restore the variables that have been set in the loaded firmware.

Stupid question..... How do you install the fork update? I am currently running the Beta 380.57 version. Should I downgrade to the stable version then update it with the fork version?

I've updated my N66u to 17e2, all is well. Thanks John for another great update

The latest version (17E2) has broken functionality of accessing my Synology NAS from outside my home network for all services. AC66. Moving back to 16E1 resolved the issue.

Stupid question..... How do you install the fork update? I am currently running the Beta 380.57 version. Should I downgrade to the stable version then update it with the fork version?
No need, you should be able to go directly to this fork. Reset defaults afterwards and should be good to go. However, John has mentioned there is a maintenance release he is working on for the weekend so may want to wait for that then do it. Also make sure your particular router is supported (see post 1)

Last edited:
Just flash the firmware like normal. Someone else can answer if factory reset (after flash) is required, but I'd do it.

As others have stated, you *should* be able to simply flash John's latest update. And as previously mentioned he's going to put out an update for a couple of last minute issues later this weekend. I'd wait for that.

You *might* be able to just flash and keep going. But since you're coming from a very different version, I'd recommend resetting to factory defaults in the Beta you have on it now, then flash John's latest, then factory reset again. That way, you'll avoid any future problems that *might* be out there and start off with a clean slate. You'll have to input everything in manually again, but you'll save yourself some potential troubles. Version change troubles are very difficult to track down as there could be 'little things' in nvram that break function intermittently. In the end, you'll have to factory reset anyway if you have a problem.

And - absolutely check post 1 to make sure your router is in the supported list before you start anything. While you're researching, locate John's thread on his backup/restore utility. Good insurance to have onhand...

Just flash the firmware like normal. Someone else can answer if factory reset (after flash) is required, but I'd do it.
From post 1

"A factory default reset is NOT required if coming from any level of the fork or Merlin 374.42 or 374.43 code. Coming from any other level does require a factory default reset after the code is loaded."

Release V17E5 is now available! Thanks again to everyone for their feedback.

LATEST RELEASE: Update-17E5
20-March-2016
Merlin fork 374.43_2-17E5j9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1uChm3J
============================

A quick update to address the early adopter issues....
  • Fix for NAT Loopback not working if booting with QOS active
  • Fix for NAT Loopback not working on MIPS routers (thanks to @Zin105 for for reporting, data collection and test)
    This affects all MIPS based routers (N16, N66 and AC66) regardless of the QOS setting
  • Stop doing http/https response checks if restarting httpd does not prevent errors (thanks to @000111 for reporting)
    This can occur if there is an invalid/mismatched certificate in /etc/cert.pem for https access
  • Fix for unable to restore saved configuration (thanks to @Koguma for reporting)

And a suggested enhancement...
  • Default state for WPS is disabled after a reset to factory defaults (thanks to @punchsuckr)
    There may be security concerns with WPS that should be understood prior to enabling this function.

@john9527 You may have missed this post.. Is it related to any of the bugs you fixed in 17e5?
Also, many thanks for implementing the change and fixing bugs so quickly!

The latest version (17E2) has broken functionality of accessing my Synology NAS from outside my home network for all services. AC66. Moving back to 16E1 resolved the issue.

@john9527 Also have a confusion, does selecting the QoS type radio button and pressing save have any effect on the QoS functionality? i.e. If I have QoS on (since the limiter will not function with qos off), BW details entered and BW limiter selected and press save, will only the BW limiter be functional and not the QoS rules?? If this is so then how does someone use both Qos and the BW limiter?? Seems I answered my own question.. :p

Edit: Updated and everything is well, although I am not using anything related to the mentioned bug fixes. The media server is now very robust and can handle cold boots while scanning and various other torture methods.

Last edited:
just flash John's latest fork (previous was on Merlin 380.57) on my RT N66U. on Merlin's, I could rename dhcp clients to give them a more 'friendly' name, is there a way to do this on John's fork?

just flash John's latest fork (previous was on Merlin 380.57) on my RT N66U. on Merlin's, I could rename dhcp clients to give them a more 'friendly' name, is there a way to do this on John's fork?

Not sure if this is the same as merlins builds but you can change the devices' names under LAN-> dhcp -> enable manual assignment. The name would be visible in the wireless log and client list.
Note: The name can be modified only when assigning an IP to a device on this page.

@john9527 You may have missed this post.. Is it related to any of the bugs you fixed in 17e5?
Also, many thanks for implementing the change and fixing bugs so quickly!
You probably should just update and test it. This build has several fixes over E1.

Just picked up an AC68P to finally replace my dreadful AC66R this weekend and flashed the v2 update. Glad to see things are still moving. Looks like i'll be updating it again tonight. :)

Thanks, John!

Just picked up an AC68P to finally replace my dreadful AC66R this weekend and flashed the v2 update. Glad to see things are still moving. Looks like i'll be updating it again tonight. :)

Thanks, John!
Dreadful AC66? Hmm mine works like a beast ;)

Without a little more detail, this is likely to be the MIPS/NAT Loopback bug which was fixed in the V17E5 release from yesterday. Please try that release and see if it resolves your problem. Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!