What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@john9527 Also have a confusion, does selecting the QoS type radio button and pressing save have any effect on the QoS functionality? i.e. If I have QoS on (since the limiter will not function with qos off), BW details entered and BW limiter selected and press save, will only the BW limiter be functional and not the QoS rules?? If this is so then how does someone use both Qos and the BW limiter?? Seems I answered my own question.. :p

Edit: Updated and everything is well, although I am not using anything related to the mentioned bug fixes. The media server is now very robust and can handle cold boots while scanning and various other torture methods.
Right now, it's an either/or for the traditional QoS or bandwidth limiter (ASUS get's around it with the Adaptive QoS, which can run together with the BW limiter...but alas, no Adaptive here).

Dreadful AC66? Hmm mine works like a beast ;)

Well, I just did not have any luck with mine. I was on my 4th (i think) AC66. I bought it not too long after it was introduced. Just far too many dropped connections, random reboots, and other issues. Currently my AC66u was requiring a reboot every night. Sometimes when I would reboot the router it would come up to ASUS's restore page. The 68P has been up since Saturday and hasn't been touched since. It's already better than my 66's. I don't think they are all that bad but they have been the most unreliable product I have ever owned. Chalk it up to an environment issue? I dunno, I've spent hours over the years doing factory resets and trying new firmwares or shutting down all wireless devices in the house to test. It actually even turned me on to Roku's horrid "Wi-Fi Direct" implementation. I was positive that was causing my issues. Well, I took care of that and nothing changed other than less interference on the 2.4 band. So, ya, to me the AC66 doesn't deserve any positive accolades.

just flash John's latest fork (previous was on Merlin 380.57) on my RT N66U. on Merlin's, I could rename dhcp clients to give them a more 'friendly' name, is there a way to do this on John's fork?
As @punchsuckr said, right now you can do it along with manually assigning an IP address on the DHCP page.

There's a manual way with a /jffs/configs file to do it without having to assign an IP address. In /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add make an entry for each client you want to rename like this

dhcp-host=client_mac_address,your_new_name

Remember not to use special characters in your new name.

It's on my todo list to add this to the gui....just haven't gotten to it yet.

Well, I just did not have any luck with mine. I was on my 4th (i think) AC66. I bought it not too long after it was introduced. Just far too many dropped connections, random reboots, and other issues. Currently my AC66u was requiring a reboot every night. Sometimes when I would reboot the router it would come up to ASUS's restore page. The 68P has been up since Saturday and hasn't been touched since. It's already better than my 66's. I don't think they are all that bad but they have been the most unreliable product I have ever owned. Chalk it up to an environment issue? I dunno, I've spent hours over the years doing factory resets and trying new firmwares or shutting down all wireless devices in the house to test. It actually even turned me on to Roku's horrid "Wi-Fi Direct" implementation. I was positive that was causing my issues. Well, I took care of that and nothing changed other than less interference on the 2.4 band. So, ya, to me the AC66 doesn't deserve any positive accolades.
First thing I would check in a situation like this is the power.....either plug into a different power source or more likely replace the external power supply.

Yep, that was my initial hunch too. The devices are connected to a ups that powers my pc and some external drives (which are also sensitive to power issues) and such. Basically the office stuff. Each new router ASUS sent included the power supply and new antennas. So, I have a bunch at home now. That didn't fix it, and no issues with any other devices. I tried a different room/circuit. Same thing. I was literally out of ideas. Then my son was born and the router has been just an annoyance and I've put up with it. Well, until Saturday that is. :)

I am, but that was kinda vetted out when I was tracking down all sources of interference in the house. Not sure that would cause the random restore pages though, right? I admit, I'm a noob but I've done some extensive searching here in the last few years trying to find the source of my issues.

On another note though, any tips for setting up the 68P? Use the higher 5ghz bands? If I understand correctly the tx power (right term?) is set to 80 from the start, isn't this a percentage? Bump it up to 100%?

17E5 is flawed the same way. Back to 16E1 and it's OK again.
I haven't had any other reports like yours.....

Just to double check....
Are you accessing via a true external network to your lan, or trying to access via the external IP or dns from within your lan?
Do your port forwards show correctly on the System Logs/Port Forwarding status page?

I haven't had any other reports like yours.....

Just to double check....
Are you accessing via a true external network to your lan, or trying to access via the external IP or dns from within your lan?
Do your port forwards show correctly on the System Logs/Port Forwarding status page?
John, thanks for your assistance! I tried both ways using my iPhones and iPad connected by LTE channel to my carrier's network. And yes, port forwards show correctly. May be I will try resetting the router and reconfiguring port forwards from scratch when I have a bit more time and will report back.

John, thanks for your assistance! I tried both ways using my iPhones and iPad connected by LTE channel to my carrier's network. And yes, port forwards show correctly. May be I will try resetting the router and reconfiguring port forwards from scratch when I have a bit more time and will report back.
There is one other thing to check if your are using a DDNS service. After the boot, double check that the DDNS update has occurred correctly (no exclamation mark on the DDNS data at the top of the main page).

Hi all

I'm wondering. Is there a way to configure media bridge on 5 Ghz band and still have 2.4 wifi connectivity with GUI ? I was able to do this on earlier RMerlin's version.

Hi all

I'm wondering. Is there a way to configure media bridge on 5 Ghz band and still have 2.4 wifi connectivity with GUI ? I was able to do this on earlier RMerlin's version.

What version of merlin's firmware, john's firmware and what device?

(I am unsure of your intended meaning, but I doubt the underlying AsusWRT version was earlier with merlin. Be clear about AsusWRT version vs john/merlin's fork version.)

I have 68u. I believe it was 378.54_2. I have R7000 as my main AP and just now want to setup 68U with John's fork as repeater/bridge.

Minor documentation issue in Merlin_Fork_Options file, the section on NTP alternate time server contains a copy of the text from the NTP update interval section

Hi

Not suggesting this firmware has anything to do with my problem but it started happening since 16E1 and still on 17E5.

Basically very randomly my 2.4ghz wifi will just drop, I only have a few devices on this band now due to this. I was playing my PS4 and noticed I lost my internet.
Went into GUI and I hid the 2.4ghz SSID and my 2.4ghz wifi internet was back, I then changed it back to normal. So changing this brings it back and I guess a reboot would as well.

But Im not sure why its doing this, Im on channel 6 which according to inssider app is the least used channel in my area with channel 1 and 11 being the most used.

Is there anything else i could try in the settings to fix this?

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!