What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John,

I have been using your firmware for a long time. Today I made the "mistake" of updating my routers' firmware to Merlin's latest 380.63. I am not really happy with it and want revert back to your firmware. However, I am unable to do so when I try uploading your firmware or resetting the router to factory default.

Please show me how can I revert back to your firmware? My Asus routers are AC-68 or AC-56, respectively. Thanks you in advance!

John,

I have been using your firmware for a long time. Today I made the "mistake" of updating my routers' firmware to Merlin's latest 380.63. I am not really happy with it and want revert back to your firmware. However, I am unable to do so when I try uploading your firmware or resetting the router to factory default.

Please show me how can I revert back to your firmware? My Asus routers are AC-68 or AC-56, respectively. Thanks you in advance!

Use Asus' Firmware Recovery tool.

Hi @john9527! I've been running 20E9 and everything seems to be ok with the following exeptions:
  1. Advanced_WAN_Content.asp (yeah, I know...): I have the "Connect to DNS Server automatically" option set to "No" for both WAN connections but if I switch back and forth between them, that option is suddenly "Yes". However, I see the manual DNS entries in NVRAM so this might be purely cosmetic, right?
  2. Tried to enable SSL in FTP but when I change ssl_enable to "YES" in vsftpd.conf (via a postconf script) the FTP server does not start. When trying to execute vsftpd manually I get "500 OOPS: SSL: ssl_enable is set but SSL support not compiled in", isn't that exactly one of the new functionalities of this version or did I completely misunderstood?
Kudos, once again!

S
--

Hi @john9527! I've been running 20E9 and everything seems to be ok with the following exeptions:
Advanced_WAN_Content.asp (yeah, I know...): I have the "Connect to DNS Server automatically" option set to "No" for both WAN connections but if I switch back and forth between them, that option is suddenly "Yes". However, I see the manual DNS entries in NVRAM so this might be purely cosmetic, right?

I can't recreate this one.....went through all the combinations of DNS server settings, and switched back and forth between WAN Connections multiple times, sprinkled in some page refreshes, and it always comes up right. Are you sure you are remembering to hit 'Apply' whenever you change the DNS server setting?

EDIT: Note that there is currently only a single setting for DNSSEC....that setting will apply to both connections. I'll add it to the todo list to make it separate in a future release.
Tried to enable SSL in FTP but when I change ssl_enable to "YES" in vsftpd.conf (via a postconf script) the FTP server does not start. When trying to execute vsftpd manually I get "500 OOPS: SSL: ssl_enable is set but SSL support not compiled in", isn't that exactly one of the new functionalities of this version or did I completely misunderstood?
Sigh.....yep...missed copying a needed file in the final build. I'll pick it up for next release.

Last edited:
Are you sure you are remembering to hit 'Apply' whenever you change the DNS server setting?
I definitely remember pressing that button ;)
For some reason, is only when I switch back and forth between WAN entries, not when I go to another page and back... my skills debugging that code are not good, So I'll just live with it (not willing to go down the reset to factory settings route atm)
All 3 variables in nvram (wan_dnsenable_x - wan0_dnsenable_x - wan1_dnsenable_x) are set to 0 which I think is the value for manual entry...

Sigh.....yep...missed copying a needed file in the final build. I'll pick it up for next release.
Good, I thought I ended up with a partially updated fw for some strange reason! Not really need it though, but the tinker in me wanted to see how it worked. It will need to enabled via a .postconf or .add file, right? Or do you have any plans for a GUI option?

From a good suggestion.....updated this thread title. No change in available firmware, but the FTP/SSL support has been marked as deferred until the next release.

Does the QOS and traffic monitor function as intended for the N66U?

just a quick question

i installed 2 new wifi scanners(inssider and acrylic)
they both report this

2.4Ghz 11+7 (fork firmware reports 11+9)
5Ghz149+153 (fork firmware reports 149+155)

as far as i remember the fork firmware reports these channels
There seems to be a difference in interpretation between the fork firmware and ethe wifi scanners

which one is right or are they both right following multiple standards?

which one is right or are they both right following multiple standards?
They are just reporting the same thing in different ways. The scanners are showing the lower and upper channels (and any intermediate channels if applicable). The router shows the primary channel and the extension channel (which is the centre frequency).

Edit: I notice that on my laptop inSSIDer Home v3.1.2.1 completely misreports the extension channels. Acrylic on the same laptop reports correctly.

Last edited:
Does the QOS and traffic monitor function as intended for the N66U?

I can vouch for the bandwidth limiter but not the QOS (since I do not and can't use it along with the bw limiter). Works perfectly well for clients/guest networks. Never encountered any issues with the traffic monitor as well which stays pretty accurate.

Thank you so much John... after i upgraded my RT-AC66U with latest merlin i had some wifi speed issues&dropouts on 5ghz..
Speed was on only 2 meter distance constantly going up and down ( mac wifi report )..
so i decide to revert back to an older version.. This ofcourse wasn't so easy as the router had this new firmware lockout.. ( LOL ).
after some searching i was able to place a different boot loader and was was able to revert to older firmware's.. in my search how to i also found this tread.. and i am happy for that.. after flashing my router with your version my connection was back to normal.. nice and steady ( Always 450 Mbps in mac report ).. and no dropout anymore...!!!
again thank you so much for your effort to build this firmware..

Best regards to All ...

RT-N66U Stock firmware 3.0.0.4.380.3831
Tell me why, when I insert a MicroSD inside the router, I can not put up permissions (to SMB and FTP) directories that MicroSD. I do not see the MicroSD on the network. It only works if I allow guest access for all(but it is not safe).
There simply are no switches access rights for internal MicroSD directory. And for the external USB-flash drives have such switches. MicroSD formatted mkfs.ext3 via telnet.
Безымянный.png Безымянный2.png
john9527, can your firmware(20E9) solve my problem?
Thanx. And sorry for my English.

There simply are no switches access rights for internal MicroSD directory. And for the external USB-flash drives have such switches.
can your firmware(20E9) solve my problem?
To be honest, I don't know if the fork will perform any different (it may or may not). The code that walks the USB attachments in my experience has always been somewhat buggy.

A couple of things you can try on any code level if you run into this.
- If you have a USB hub attached to either port, try removing it temporarily
- Try removing any devices attached to the USB ports besides the one you are trying to set up.

If you can then access the permission settings, you can then set them and then reconnect anything you may have been removed. Once set, the permissions should hold, even though they may not be visible.

The code that walks the USB attachments in my experience has always been somewhat buggy.

And Asus recently rewrote it for the second time in the past 3 years, so it's a constantly moving target...

Hi John, Thanks for latest build. I experienced 68u fail to use QIS as it stuck on the PPPoe dial up username and password for ages. No matter method I tried was working, GUI factory default, hardware reset button, or even Webservice recovery page NVRam. I can confirm i have never experience this wizard problem. workaround: managed to manually setup everything.

RT-N66U Stock firmware 3.0.0.4.380.3831
Tell me why, when I insert a MicroSD inside the router, I can not put up permissions (to SMB and FTP) directories that MicroSD. I do not see the MicroSD on the network. It only works if I allow guest access for all(but it is not safe).
There simply are no switches access rights for internal MicroSD directory. And for the external USB-flash drives have such switches. MicroSD formatted mkfs.ext3 via telnet.
View attachment 7698 View attachment 7699
john9527, can your firmware(20E9) solve my problem?
Thanx. And sorry for my English.

This is what it looks like on my RT-N66 with Johns firmware on it:

2016-11-12-09_33_09-asus-wireless-router-rt-n66u-network-place-samba-share-png.7705

What type of filesystem do you have on the microsd? I've formatted mine as ext2 maybe your's is still fat32?

Attachments

• 2016-11-12 09_33_09-ASUS Wireless Router RT-N66U - Network Place(Samba) Share.png
    2016-11-12 09_33_09-ASUS Wireless Router RT-N66U - Network Place(Samba) Share.png
    181 KB · Views: 1,609
A microSD card reader inside the n66u?? Even after owning it for more than 2 years this is new for me :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!