What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It sounds as it is time for new AC88U under the tree :)

That's one bad butt router... i have a new candidate when my n66u kicks the bucket although I don't know when or if that will happen. :p

Hi friends.. i have a little problem..
I have an Asus RT-AC66U running on 374.43_2-20E9j9527 firmware... and working with a mid 2011 MacBook pro..
now the problem is i need my 5ghz channel to be 140 or above.. on lower channels the speed on 5ghz is really not stable for some reason.. now this channel 140 is choosen by me for the reason that i live in Cyprus .
when my Mac comes out of sleep mode it picks up CY country code from nearby routers.. and then my highest channel i can pick is 140.... now my Asus RT-AC66U has no channel 140 but 149... i have tried al kinds of things to be able to change country code's on my Asus to get this channel 140 working.. but nothing seems to work...
Is here anybody who could help me to get this done..
Also have an Linksys EA6900 running and this machine have most channels available ... no problem at all.. This router is running on Vortex BTW..
Best regards to All..

Last edited:
Hi. i have tried this.. and was able to use channel 140.. but for some reason manny thing where going wrong after.. So i reverted all back ..
Also found out that channel 140 is a DFS channel and i like to stay away from that.. ( still weird that CY mode allows channel 140 ) LOL...
I wil try to get ( reg_mode=d ) instead of off working in my Linksys EA6900 ( running Vortex/Merlin ) and hope this will work..

here is the script i use on my RT-AC66U
rock solid so maybe you missed a setting
you need al those commands

either type this all in at the console or put it in a script and run it.

i have put it on my jffs partition

#!/bin/sh

echo "SETTING REGION VARIABLE TO #a"
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/2/1/regrev=0
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=#a
nvram set regulation_domain=#a
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
echo "WRITING VALUES TO NVRAM"
nvram commit
echo "REBOOTING ROUTER"
sleep 2
reboot

Hi. i have tried this.. and was able to use channel 140.. but for some reason manny thing where going wrong after.. So i reverted all back ..
Also found out that channel 140 is a DFS channel and i like to stay away from that.. ( still weird that CY mode allows channel 140 ) LOL...
I wil try to get ( reg_mode=d ) instead of off working in my Linksys EA6900 ( running Vortex/Merlin ) and hope this will work..

Fantastic..!!! when i will be home i will try this out and let you know the outcome....

Thank you..!!!

There's a system call on the Tools page that goes haywire when a factory reset is needed to reset something (it's been reported in the past, but I've never been able to recreate it to track down which one it was, and a factory reset always clears it up)

I just had this same thing occur to me, the graphical glitch in the tools page, after converting my TM-1900 to a full-fledged RT-AC68U with bootloader 1.0.2.0. I flashed your latest V20E9 version. The firmware prior to this was the stock ASUS 376.3626, which was necessary to expand the partition size.

I'm pretty sure I wiped NVRAM several times during this process but certainly another factory reset won't hurt.

I found this issue immediately upon flashing V20E9 into default settings.

I used the NVRAM restore utility afterwards, and the issue persisted, so I'm not sure if that caused these issues.

Would saving and then restoring a NVRAM cfg file cause this error to return? There's a lot of config I'd prefer not doing over.

I used the NVRAM restore utility afterwards, and the issue persisted, so I'm not sure if that caused these issues.

Would saving and then restoring a NVRAM cfg file cause this error to return? There's a lot of config I'd prefer not doing over.

I would suggest that is exactly why the error returned (you effectively cancelled the reset to factory defaults by loading a saved config file).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r24.19521/

I suggest you start with the last link above and then follow with the first three links to get your router and network to a good/known state.

The NVRAM Save/Restore Utility is the 'proper' way to restore your settings. Or, at the very least (if doing so the issues persist), you will have a human readable and copy/paste-able list of all your custom settings. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually finished tinkering with it before I read your post but I appreciate the links for posterity.

What I meant in my question was could I use a newly saved NVRAM cfg file, from this bugged state, in my current debug attempts. I did not use that method on the router after initially flashing this firmware, as I know that is fraught with issues. I asked because I thought maybe the NVRAM save/restore utility was the source of this issue.

As you stated above, it was not! =)

Looking back at my upgrade workflow, I had thought that punching in "mtd-erase2 nvram" would have been the same as a factory reset, but apparently not?

Today I first factory reset, which did fix the tools page bug. Then I restored the CFG I had saved right before. As you would expect, that of course restored the buggy configuration!

Then I factory reset again, and restored via the NVRAM restore utility. All is good now!

SNB and its members continue to impress!

Last edited:
Hi,
recently I upgraded from 17 to 20E3.
Before that I did a jffs save just in case.
After upgrade, jffs was gone so I restored it and nothing appeared.
So I upgraded to latest 20E9 and restored jffs, and still nothing (after reboot of course).

Am I doing it wrong?
For example I need to force a reformat of jffs or things like that?

well set Format JFFS partition at next boot to yes and reboot

not that hard to try and since your jffs partition is gone no risk of missing anything.

this is also advised after every new firmware version since the firmware size seems to be growing after each new release

Hi,
recently I upgraded from 17 to 20E3.
Before that I did a jffs save just in case.
After upgrade, jffs was gone so I restored it and nothing appeared.
So I upgraded to latest 20E9 and restored jffs, and still nothing (after reboot of course).

Am I doing it wrong?
For example I need to force a reformat of jffs or things like that?

well set Format JFFS partition at next boot to yes and reboot

not that hard to try and since your jffs partition is gone no risk of missing anything.

this is also advised after every new firmware version since the firmware size seems to be growing after each new release

It was that indeed.
I asked before trying because I already crossed my wife's tolerance threshold to downtimes today :p

Now, next issues.

1 - For a long time now, I cannot access the admin site from Firefox. After I changed ip or port setting I started getting this message and no way to login, even clearing cache.
Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-N66U.
To access the settings of RT-N66U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

2 - I can login from Chrome though, but it is very slow (looks like some http connection gets stuck randomly), and it seems ok if I disable the cache from dev tools. The log I see in console is either way:
index.asp:1 Creating Application Cache with manifest https://ip:port/manifest.appcache
index.asp:1 Application Cache Checking event
index.asp:1 Application Cache Error event: Manifest fetch failed (9) https://ip:port/manifest.appcache

clearing the browser cache is one thing.

clearing the TEMP directory another.

i also have sometimes issues with Firefox.
Most of them are solved by deleting al the files in the standard windows temp directory

It was that indeed.
I asked before trying because I already crossed my wife's tolerance threshold to downtimes today :p

Now, next issues.

1 - For a long time now, I cannot access the admin site from Firefox. After I changed ip or port setting I started getting this message and no way to login, even clearing cache.
Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-N66U.
To access the settings of RT-N66U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

2 - I can login from Chrome though, but it is very slow (looks like some http connection gets stuck randomly), and it seems ok if I disable the cache from dev tools. The log I see in console is either way:
index.asp:1 Creating Application Cache with manifest https://ip:port/manifest.appcache
index.asp:1 Application Cache Checking event
index.asp:1 Application Cache Error event: Manifest fetch failed (9) https://ip:port/manifest.appcache

clearing the browser cache is one thing.

clearing the TEMP directory another.

i also have sometimes issues with Firefox.
Most of them are solved by deleting al the files in the standard windows temp directory

Using Linux :)
I doubt /tmp has anything to do with that, but I'll consider your experience to have a look around beyond browser cache.

Try running without any addons. Also, when you get that message, make sure you close that tab, then reconnect (and make sure you're not using the old bookmark :) ) I just set up an N66 connecting from a linux only system without any problems.

Today I first factory reset, which did fix the tools page bug. Then I restored the CFG I had saved right before. As you would expect, that of course restored the buggy configuration!

Then I factory reset again, and restored via the NVRAM restore utility. All is good now!
As you deduced, restoring a .CFG file saved from the gui, restores everything.....the firmware specific settings as well as any user settings. Doing a restore this way, basically 'reverts' the factory default reset. A good way to think of it is that .CFG saved configs are firmware level unique.

My NVRAM utility, only saves the user settings, so its save can generally be applied to any firmware level.

Using Linux :)
I doubt /tmp has anything to do with that, but I'll consider your experience to have a look around beyond browser cache.

Try Private Browsing, which avoids all caches, etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!