What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Swingtop Your port forwarding is fine. Does your router have a public IP address?

P.S. There's no point masking out your internal IP addresses.;)

That indeed is the issue. I have an internal 10.x WAN address. Seems my ISP modem is routing my internet. I do not see the modem in my apartment block, so I did not realize this.

And one more issue I found: if I save router's settings and if I try to restore them (after a factory reset) - only some of the settings are applied (eg: 2.4G wifi name), some are not (eg: 5G wifi name, router's IP, wifi passwords)
Just to make sure...after changing to the fork and doing a factory reset....you cannot load a saved configuration. You need to configure manually. A lot of differences in the nvram variables have happened over time.

Just to make sure...after changing to the fork and doing a factory reset....you cannot load a saved configuration. You need to configure manually. A lot of differences in the nvram variables have happened over time.

The saved settings were made with the fork firmware right before trying to restore (as I was trying to test the VPN with factory settings). So I was not mixing the config settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gar
My ISP is asking me for my external WAN Mac address of my router, to allow me to use my router instead of their modem. The WAN Mac is not the same as the LAN Mac i guess. How to find this out easily? I was hoping I could find this in the router configuration, but I can't find it.
This answer is advising me to install Wireshark, plug into the router WAN port and analyze the packet data from there to identify the external mac address. Is this really necessary? https://superuser.com/questions/374072/finding-routers-wan-external-mac-address

Thanks!

The WAN Mac is not the same as the LAN Mac i guess. How to find this out easily? I was hoping I could find this in the router configuration, but I can't find it.
Strangely, it is the same as the LAN MAC address (seems to be a Broadcom quirk) unless you have changed it on the WAN page (MAC Address/MAC Clone).

You can confirm it by SSH'ing into the router and issuing this command:
Code:
nvram get wan0_hwaddr
It's also written on the white label on the back of the router.

Hey John, glad to see you back and active in this forum. Thanks for keeping up with this fork for old routers!

Just a note: on old MIPS routers, URL filtering kills CTF or Fast NAT or whatever it's called. Hardware acceleration may appear to be functional but it's not working properly when URL filtering is enabled even with not URLs listed. Took me a little while to figure it out lol.

Last edited:
@Zetto Did you do a factory reset after updating the firmware (rather than just erasing jffs)?

I suggest that you do that now anyway and then without customising any settings (other than the login password) see if the speed returns.

If you have any USB devices plugged into the router I suggest you leave them unplugged for the time being.

NM, I'm dumb, I forgot to disable URL filtering entirely after removing the URLs, it appears to be back to normal.

Last edited:
@Zetto Your router should easily be capable of over 100Mbps even without hardware acceleration enabled. If the CPU Load Average is 4.0 then there's something seriously amiss (hence my suggestion of trying another factory reset).

Try logging into the router and running top to see which process is consuming all the CPU.

Hi John,

Good to see you back and active again.
Hope you get the rest sorted out also.

One question from my side, with the older builds you provided a L build with the old drivers.
With these old drivers i could do the region unlock and up the transmitpower.
Are you still going to provide these in the future?
Right now i have flashed the 42E7 build but it seems the transmitpower is lower then what i had with the L builds

@ColinTaylor, thanks! Already figured it out, URL filtering was still enabled and even with no URLs listed to be filtered, it still hindered hardware acceleration. And yeah, n66 with no acceleration tops out around 200mbit, but I have a 500mbit pipe, so FastNAT is a must.

@john9527 , thanks for the excellent firmware. Until a week ago I was still using Merlin's latest 384.6 (AC56U) firmware which was working perfectly, but since it is no longer maintained, I was looking for alternatives to keep my old AC56U up to date with the latest security updates. I am glad I found yours!

Now, I have this problem - I don't know if it's related to V42E7 firmware (since it's my first time using this fork) but while connected to my own wifi, if I try to connect an openvpn server, I get no internet connection; the VPN client tells me I'm connected with the vpn server, but that's it - I cannot access neither the internet, nor the private network (where the vpn server is). I've tried to reset my AC56U to factory settings, to disable firewall, the same result... If I use my phone's hotspot, everything works. If I use my neighbour's wifi (which has the same ISP), still works. If I try the other way - to connect from outside to my own openvpn server running on AC56u (ie: using mobile hotspot), things are working (so my ISP is not blocking VPN connections). If I use some 3rd party VPNs (ie: nord vpn) while on wifi, again, everything is working. I don't know where to dig. What else could I try?

I kept looking for a solution. I am wondering if it's not a VPN passthrough issue somehow. On my router everything is enabled. Is openvpn a different dish?

PPTP Passthrough - enable
L2TP Passthrough- enable
IPSec Passthrough- enable
RTSP Passthrough- enable
H.323 Passthrough- enable
SIP Passthrough- enable

@BlueBlood Can you confirm are talking about an OpenVPN client running on your PC and not the VPN client on the router. Also, this is only a problem when connecting to one specific VPN server (your work server?).

The latest 42E7 software is installed on my RT-N66U router, everything works well, except that this error constantly occurs in the system log:
Apr 17 17:05:32 wsdd2[440]: error: wsdd-mcast-v4: wsd_send_soap_msg: send
How to fix this error?

Thanks in advance!

hi, @ColinTaylor,

Yes, I confirm: it is about an openvpn client running on my PC.
You say that the VPN client appears to connect successfully. So right-click on its systray icon and look for clues in the log file.

Check that the subnet address range of your LAN doesn't conflict with that of the remote network.

You say that the VPN client appears to connect successfully. So right-click on its systray icon and look for clues in the log file.

Check that the subnet address range of your LAN doesn't conflict with that of the remote network.

I've checked, and it is not - my LAN is 192.168.2.0 and remote is 10.8.0.0. I've also stopped router's vpn server (which was also on 10.8.0.0) - still nothing.

The latest 42E7 software is installed on my RT-N66U router, everything works well, except that this error constantly occurs in the system log:

How to fix this error?
Apr 17 17:05:32 wsdd2[440]: error: wsdd-mcast-v4: wsd_send_soap_msg: send
Thanks in advance!
Not sure....I don't see it on my system. I have seen some posts for the latest Merlin builds where it was seen.
The only things I can suggest are
- if you are not using USB shares on the router with Windows 10 and SMB1 disabled, you can disable loading that service with
nvram set wsdd_enable=0
nvram commit
and reboot
- to check under LAN>IPTV and make sure that multicast routing and multicast forwarding are both set to Enable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!